Is it possible to install Windows 8.1 on a Gateway laptop (Year 2009)?

Wirelessly posted (ZTE X501 Phone)

Is IE 10 free downloadable? If so, I could upgrade to that.

No, I've never used Firefox, and I'm curious-- what exactly is that?

IE 9 and IE 10 dropped XP support so you are stuck with IE 8.

Foxrac said:

IE 9 and IE 10 dropped XP support so you are stuck with IE 8.

Then it's a good thing I inquired before making any rash decisions to download it. IE8 will do just fine for a few years, but I intend to upgrade long before that.

Of course it's free. Do you know how to research things on the web? That's a critical skill for anyone working with computers. Technology is constantly changing and you need to keep up with the changes.

It's a very common browser that's been around for about 9 years. If you're really curious you should look it up.

Then it's a good thing I inquired before making any rash decisions to download it. IE8 will do just fine for a few years, but I intend to upgrade long before that.
You would have found out for yourself if you went to the IE download page. It would explain the versions and compatibility.

Reba said:

Of course it's free. Do you know how to research things on the web? That's a critical skill for anyone working with computers. Technology is constantly changing and you need to keep up with the changes.

It's a very common browser that's been around for about 9 years. If you're really curious you should look it up.

Yes, I know how, but I like to learn a little bit the old fashioned way every now and then, instead of being tech savvy all the time, which can get a little tiresome.

Reba said:

You would have found out for yourself if you went to the IE download page. It would explain the versions and compatibility.

Probably so, but I am constantly on my feet, and rarely have time to sit still long enough to do any deep research. Maybe I should make some time on weekends to do that. Hmm.

Yes, I know how, but I like to learn a little bit the old fashioned way every now and then, instead of being tech savvy all the time, which can get a little tiresome.
It may be tiresome to you but your customers expect tech savviness from the people working on their computers.

Probably so, but I am constantly on my feet, and rarely have time to sit still long enough to do any deep research. Maybe I should make some time on weekends to do that. Hmm.
If you're serious about working in the computer field, you will have to dedicate some time and effort to research.

Have you taken any college courses in computer or IT systems yet?

Reba said:

If you're serious about working in the computer field, you will have to dedicate some time and effort to research.

That's one thing I'd like to do someday, if I had the funding. The education would do me some good.

Reba said:

Which I already do, but I am looking for better ways to improve my mobility with a bad knee and a bad back, and the winters aren't kind to my bad knee, so I have to limit myself between December and March, but afterwards I can go anytime anywhere, and I'm always open.

Back in 2006 - new era of adulthood, my computer was old HP PC with Intel Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM and Intel Extreme Graphics.

I used Firefox 1.5, iTunes 6, AIM 5.9, MSN Messenger 7, Google Earth, Sims 2, Simcity 4, SimGolf and many Tycoon games. :lol:

I remember about IE 6, so most overrated browser. :ugh:

Foxrac said:
Back in 2006 - new era of adulthood, my computer was old HP PC with Intel Pentium 4, 512 MB RAM and Intel Extreme Graphics.

I used Firefox 1.5, iTunes 6, AIM 5.9, MSN Messenger 7, Google Earth, Sims 2, Simcity 4, SimGolf and many Tycoon games. :lol:

I remember about IE 6, so most overrated browser. :ugh:

That's a lot of technology. I don't need that much.... I'm better off keeping it simple and not losing track of which app is where. That's why I stuck with Android, cause for one thing, the apps I have are all free, and if I do ever get a paid one, it wouldn't cost as much as an Apple app, which are WAY overpriced. I think my new phone is gonna be Android, too. My parents have it.

That's a lot of technology. I don't need that much.... I'm better off keeping it simple and not losing track of which app is where. That's why I stuck with Android, cause for one thing, the apps I have are all free, and if I do ever get a paid one, it wouldn't cost as much as an Apple app, which are WAY overpriced. I think my new phone is gonna be Android, too. My parents have it.

You think so?

I own iPhone since 2010 and the price for iOS and Android apps are same. Some exclusive iOS apps cost more, but if apps port to both iOS and Android so prices are same. I don't see as overpriced, even I live on fixed income.

cats-in-a-room-on-computers.gif

That's one thing I'd like to do someday, if I had the funding. The education would do me some good.
Your state doesn't provide funds for college thru the deaf VR program? In SC, college funding is provided to deaf students.

Which I already do, but I am looking for better ways to improve my mobility with a bad knee and a bad back, and the winters aren't kind to my bad knee, so I have to limit myself between December and March, but afterwards I can go anytime anywhere, and I'm always open.
I take all of my college courses online. No commuting required.

Reba said:

Your state doesn't provide funds for college thru the deaf VR program? In SC, college funding is provided to deaf students.

They do, yes, but I have limited options. There's no deaf programs here in Chicago, and the closest one is in Palatine, at Harper College. They're real picky about that.

Reba said:

I take all of my college courses online. No commuting required.

Something else I'd like to try, but am not familiar with.

They do, yes, but I have limited options. There's no deaf programs here in Chicago, and the closest one is in Palatine, at Harper College. They're real picky about that.
You can't do on-line classes?

Reba said:

You can't do on-line classes?

Sure I could. I just need to familiarize myself with what options I can use, and go from there. Plus, I probably would be awkward learning classes online, something I've never done before.

Back