is it normal for deaf people to worry about this?

Yep, me too. There is a good side and a bad side to it.

The good side is, we develop better speech and hearing people are able to understand us.

Downside is, we are self-conscious and afraid to mispronounce a word for fear of everyone bursting out laughing at us or giving us that "huh?" look.

What really pisses me off royally is, why the hell are our parents nitpicking us to death over how to pronounce a word, when we have all these frickin' foreigners in our country who can't speak English very well....and those same people are running businesses and making governmental decisions? Why is it okay for them to speak half-gibberish and it is not okay for us to mispronounce a few words?

I am getting all worked up now...gonna take a break...:pissed:

My dad was from Russia and was picked on when he was a kid in USA for the way he talked .And when I started taking my speech effect reminded my dad of his horrible time as a kid and my dad would hit me for this. And my older sister and brother made fun of my speech. I did not like to talk a lot in my family is was safer to not say anything!

that is very sad! terrible on reading! sorry hear about to really bad reading wow!

My dad was from Russia and was picked on when he was a kid in USA for the way he talked .And when I started taking my speech effect reminded my dad of his horrible time as a kid and my dad would hit me for this. And my older sister and brother made fun of my speech. I did not like to talk a lot in my family is was safer to not say anything!

I can relate a lot to this. My parents worked on my speech obsessively too, and were not adverse to hitting me. I think it isn't that uncommon for people in our generation.

Not many people can understand me now anyway , so they should have just been nice.

Last edited:
I was utterly shocked that when I got my first HA at age 19 I could hear myself pee, I had no idea that peeing made noise, sounded like a bloody waterfall. I don't worry about the breathing too loudly thing, I figure whatever! The only time I have been told I am way LOUD is during sex, but since he likes it I don't worry bout that one either, cept when the kids are around, lol.

I was utterly shocked that when I got my first HA at age 19 I could hear myself pee, I had no idea that peeing made noise, sounded like a bloody waterfall. I don't worry about the breathing too loudly thing, I figure whatever! The only time I have been told I am way LOUD is during sex, but since he likes it I don't worry bout that one either, cept when the kids are around, lol.

That is funny...since I got my CI, I did not know how much noise I made doing normal things like breathing, chewing, etc.

During sex, we don't wear our aids due to the squealing :giggle:, but one day I left my CI in. Holy crap, the sounds were so loud and weird. Could not stand the squishing sounds so I removed it.

Apparently hearing people get excited about those noises, but it is something I will not get used to....

I am really loud when having sex! A guy that live behind our house thought I was being killed and wanted to know if I was ok!! LOL You poor thing, finding out when you pee is make a sound. I guess I did not not hear myself peeing until I got my HA . When I am driving I will get pissed off when someone cut me off and I use the 'F" word and I do not realize how loud I am talking , if a car is close by a driver will look at me.

Yep, me too. There is a good side and a bad side to it.

The good side is, we develop better speech and hearing people are able to understand us.

Downside is, we are self-conscious and afraid to mispronounce a word for fear of everyone bursting out laughing at us or giving us that "huh?" look.

What really pisses me off royally is, why the hell are our parents nitpicking us to death over how to pronounce a word, when we have all these frickin' foreigners in our country who can't speak English very well....and those same people are running businesses and making governmental decisions? Why is it okay for them to speak half-gibberish and it is not okay for us to mispronounce a few words?

I am getting all worked up now...gonna take a break...:pissed:

I learned ASL and dont use my voice much anymore. I prefer to use ASL over using my speech skills.

That is funny...since I got my CI, I did not know how much noise I made doing normal things like breathing, chewing, etc.

During sex, we don't wear our aids due to the squealing :giggle:, but one day I left my CI in. Holy crap, the sounds were so loud and weird. Could not stand the squishing sounds so I removed it.

Apparently hearing people get excited about those noises, but it is something I will not get used to....

I was talking to my daughter one day about how my dog knew when I putting my coat and my daughter told he can me hear doing that, and she said everything we do made a sound ! I thinking WOW , I never thought of that.
I can't heard people chewing food or brushing their teeth. I did not know rain made a sound when it fall on an umbrella until I got a HA. I was about 8 years old the first time I heard this.

I'm told I make grunting and guttural noises while chatting with deaf friends. Better get used to it, hearies! :P

Well, I would say we are pretty bad when it comes to potato chip bags and plastic containers for candies. :lol:

I admit it. I love those noises....the moans and grunts...its drives me wild...especially when accompained by the squishing sound.

Back