is it normal for deaf people to worry about this?

I don't have to worry about her hounding me over my pronunciation and personal habits

That happens in deaf and HOH too (especially when they are trying to lipread), but they more likely can relate to you. However, There are cases where HOH/deaf who think they are better because their ability to speak, hear , or was raised better.

I think this is just another ripoff from the hearing world. We are all humans, regardless of whether we are deaf or hearing. We deaf would make the same noise as hearing people would. So to make comments and get us all worked up about the noise we make so as to make us worry and be uncomfortable about it - is just plain WRONG. It is discrimation and harassment if you ask me.

So to make comments and get us all worked up about the noise we make so as to make us worry and be uncomfortable about it - is just plain WRONG. It is discrimation and harassment if you ask me.

We live in a hearing world, sometimes we need to be aware of our behavior.

However, the issue here is that many hearing people take it too far, as if they are actively listening to us so that they have a reason to jump on us.

That happens in deaf and HOH too (especially when they are trying to lipread), but they more likely can relate to you. However, There are cases where HOH/deaf who think they are better because their ability to speak, hear , or was raised better.

Very true.

I was raised oral and can speak quite well but count me out of that group. I don't think that way. Those who do are very selfish and inconsiderate.

Can hearing people normally hear breathing, chewing, and another persons heart beat?

Yes. Before I got CIs, I couldn't hear people chewingl I find chewing sounds annoying and I wonder how hearing put up with it. :P

I would have to be very close to hear another person breathe though. I still can't hear a heart beat unless I got my ear right next to the person's chest and I assume that would be true for hearing as well.

one time in my science class (in public school, I was the only deaf there) , there was this cute guy who was sitting next to me when we gathered up closely together. He never talked to me before and never teased me or anything. and all a sudden, he turned to me and ask me if I could just breathe quietly. he was sincere about it too, he wasn't laughing or anything, he was distracted by it. I didn't even know I was a loud breather... out of embarrassment, I keep holding my breath during the whole class period.

You should not hold your breath for a long time! Some people breath with their mouth open and that could made you sound loud. If your adenoids are enlarged that made your breathing sound loud.

don't worry, I did breath little bit. I already mentioned that mouth breather can be noisy but still, I couldn't monitor my own breathing on how loud it sound so I just held my breath as much as I could just to be safe.

Yes. Before I got CIs, I couldn't hear people chewingl I find chewing sounds annoying and I wonder how hearing put up with it. :P

I would have to be very close to hear another person breathe though. I still can't hear a heart beat unless I got my ear right next to the person's chest and I assume that would be true for hearing as well.

I betcha if we interfaced my stethescope with your CI you could- its pretty neat sound.

Im sometimes worried of making noises that bother others, but not worried abot breathing unless maybe if Im sniffing a lot with stuffy nose I guess that would annoy some people.

But I did have real funny thing happen in school. One day I was in class sitting next to my sister in the back and ripped a loud fart. Everyone stop and look back and I had innocent face with a kindly pointed finger at my sister to blame :laugh2: She wanted to kill me after class

I can't even imagine being so rude as to tell someone that their breathing was too noisy, or that they chewed loudly.

Seriously. I am appalled that anyone would have such bad manners.

I can't even imagine being so rude as to tell someone that their breathing was too noisy, or that they chewed loudly.

Seriously. I am appalled that anyone would have such bad manners.

If I see someone chewing gum (or food) and opening their mouth as they chew I'll comment, I bet it's loud too. Young kids can eat with their mouth closed so adults should not need to be told.

Is it just me or pretty common for a deaf person from a hearing family to worry a lot about breathing too loud that it causes erratic/tense breathing? I also worry that I'm too loud when I'm eating...I know its ridiculous and I try to forget about it but it always comes back

I kinda fit in the middle. I'm neither profoundly deaf or of normal hearing. But I can relate to what you're saying and hopefully provide some advice from the other "side" too!

Don't worry about making loud breathing noises. It's usually far too quiet for people to take any notice unless you're out of breath or suffering from an asthma attack, in which case, people will probably show signs of concern rather than annoyance!

Eating can be a problem. But usually, the slower you chew, the less noise you're likely to make. Oh, and make sure you close your mouth!

The one thing I tend to worry about is talking too loud. As a result, I tend to talk quieter than most and often, I have to repeat stuff. How ironic!

This is interesting. I never knew deaf people were concerned about this. I'm hearing and I don't think it's a big deal at all. Everyone breathes differently I guess. I have a hearing friend who breathes really loudly compared to other people and it has never bothered me before. Besides you guys, it doesn't matter what people think. :)

This is interesting. I never knew deaf people were concerned about this. I'm hearing and I don't think it's a big deal at all. Everyone breathes differently I guess. I have a hearing friend who breathes really loudly compared to other people and it has never bothered me before. Besides you guys, it doesn't matter what people think. :)

Majority of people I rarely talk to only talk to me if they have something to complain about. Otherwise, I don't think it would bother me. I guess this is common for hearing people too.

i have had a terp tell me that terps talk amongst themselves about the noises that deaf people make:gossip:.
:shock: I've never experienced that; that's terrible!

My mother'd get on my case about noises emanating from my throat. I'd go like 'what? I cannot hear it or feel it, so how do you expect me to stop the noises?'

She stopped nagging me about it afterward.

I think it's sad somewhat that hearing people are always telling us Deaf that we're making too much noise here or there, and it gets to a point where deaf are trying to repress what they cannot really control.

Even now, I don't think I could scream if my life depends on it because I've been trained not to make lot of noises *sighs*

Back