is it normal for deaf people to worry about this?

I also think that anyone, deaf or not, should not have to worry about noises in the toilet. If I can't fart in there where can I do it? :aw:

When I was growing up I always had my mum telling me don't eat so nosily and don't breathe so loudly. I keep telling her I can't hear and I can't tell if I am loud or not. If I am eating our or with friends or anywhere else, no one tells me that, if I am noisy they are not bothered about it. So I don't worry about it.

This is interesting. I never knew deaf people were concerned about this. I'm hearing and I don't think it's a big deal at all. Everyone breathes differently I guess. I have a hearing friend who breathes really loudly compared to other people and it has never bothered me before. Besides you guys, it doesn't matter what people think. :)

Easy for hearing people to say.

Imagine growing up for 18 years and having other people criticize you 3-4 times a day for doing something you were not aware of?

When we are with other deaf people, we usually have a good time, but when we are with hearing people, we already feel out of place to begin with, and if all we hear is "Stop doing that", it stays in our minds forever.

It is like telling a dog "No" at everything he does all day, every day. Eventually that dog is going to be insecure, withdrawn, and always afraid of pissing anyone off.

Easy for hearing people to say.

Imagine growing up for 18 years and having other people criticize you 3-4 times a day for doing something you were not aware of?

When we are with other deaf people, we usually have a good time, but when we are with hearing people, we already feel out of place to begin with, and if all we hear is "Stop doing that", it stays in our minds forever.

It is like telling a dog "No" at everything he does all day, every day. Eventually that dog is going to be insecure, withdrawn, and always afraid of pissing anyone off.

I know the feeling. As a child, I was constantly being corrected for how to pronounce some words to the point where I became paranoid about it.

I know the feeling. As a child, I was constantly being corrected for how to pronounce some words to the point where I became paranoid about it.

I know. But there comes a time when we must get over it.

I made noises (throaty) that I was not aware of, until my sister pointed it out.....never occured to me that I did, and it was loud enuf to hear 2 rooms away!...So, I'm happy she told me, and I've broken the habit.

Not only deafies make noises when they eat....hearies do also, especially when they have false teeth....they make a "smacking" noise. It's common manners to keep ur mouth closed when eating. Nothing is more digusting to me than for someone to talk or laugh with their mouth full.

Also, (haha)....I used to wear high heels daily, just love em! What I didn't realize was.....that I "dragged" my feet a lot...and was told that "you sound like a horse when you walk fast".......It didn't hurt my feelings, I was glad to be told of something I was not aware of.....so I started picking up my feet more, then eventually, I stopped wearing heels. (I never could copy the "Model Walk")

Yep, me too. There is a good side and a bad side to it.

The good side is, we develop better speech and hearing people are able to understand us.

Downside is, we are self-conscious and afraid to mispronounce a word for fear of everyone bursting out laughing at us or giving us that "huh?" look.

What really pisses me off royally is, why the hell are our parents nitpicking us to death over how to pronounce a word, when we have all these frickin' foreigners in our country who can't speak English very well....and those same people are running businesses and making governmental decisions? Why is it okay for them to speak half-gibberish and it is not okay for us to mispronounce a few words?

I am getting all worked up now...gonna take a break...:pissed:

I know what you mean. My parents and their family keeps on about how I say the words even though I can't say them. I don't let it bother me most of times but it gets annoying after while in few hours later if they don't let it drop, whenever someone says don't do that, stop doing that, be quiet, stop being so noisy etc.

Can hearing people normally hear breathing, chewing, and another persons heart beat?

Yes we can, but I can't hear another persons heartbeat unless I lay my head against them with my one of my ears pressed against their chest or back...if the person talks while you are listening to their heartbeat, the sound of their voice will overpower the sound of their heartbeat. That is why doctors tell you to be silent or they shush you if you are talking while they are listening to your heartbeat with a stethoscope.

That's normal, my husband would never fart in front of me because he was nervous about the sound it would make, I shouldn't of told him all farts are different because he does it all the time now :-S

I think I would be worried more about the stink attached to the fart than the loudness of the fart...its those silent but deadly farts that reek.

yeah, I can smell those farts rather i can hear it or not. even from my own dog and he doesn't make a farting sound. We are like, did he just farted?!? (because dog's farts smell slightly different from human's)

yeah, I can smell those farts rather i can hear it or not. even from my own dog and he doesn't make a farting sound. We are like, did he just farted?!? (because dog's farts smell slightly different from human's)

haha, yeah man's best friend? more like mans best fart aliby :D

Everyone has to expel gas...but what I don't get is people doing it in public or with a group of friends....as for Dogs or any animal, nothing much to do about it. But I did have a Cocker Spaniel that expelled so much gas! Took him to the Vet and had to change his food to special dog food because of his digestive system.

People that "fart" for the heck of it are rude in my opinion.

Everyone has to expel gas...but what I don't get is people doing it in public or with a group of friends....as for Dogs or any animal, nothing much to do about it. But I did have a Cocker Spaniel that expelled so much gas! Took him to the Vet and had to change his food to special dog food because of his digestive system.

People that "fart" for the heck of it are rude in my opinion.

...Or one could go by the analogy if one farts in a room alone does it smell, like a tree that falls in the woods not make a noise?

OK, sorry for stupid humor

I betcha if we interfaced my stethescope with your CI you could- its pretty neat sound.

Im sometimes worried of making noises that bother others, but not worried abot breathing unless maybe if Im sniffing a lot with stuffy nose I guess that would annoy some people.

But I did have real funny thing happen in school. One day I was in class sitting next to my sister in the back and ripped a loud fart. Everyone stop and look back and I had innocent face with a kindly pointed finger at my sister to blame :laugh2: She wanted to kill me after class

If you did that to me, I'd have clobbered ya with my purse. :giggle:

don't worry, I did breath little bit. I already mentioned that mouth breather can be noisy but still, I couldn't monitor my own breathing on how loud it sound so I just held my breath as much as I could just to be safe.

I knew of a kid that had contest in seeing who could hold their breath the longest . The kid won and dies. Very sad and dumb.

Back