is it normal for deaf people to worry about this?

I admit it. I love those noises....the moans and grunts...its drives me wild...especially when accompained by the squishing sound.

Just pitched a tent reading this...:naughty:

lol I worry if I don't close my mouth while I eat or did I moan loud when I eat.. ehh that's what i worry the most.. :roll:

Is it just me or pretty common for a deaf person from a hearing family to worry a lot about breathing too loud that it causes erratic/tense breathing? I also worry that I'm too loud when I'm eating...I know its ridiculous and I try to forget about it but it always comes back
lol.. My deaf son emits all kinds of sounds. I find it endearing and have come to accept this as part of him and his personality. I can't imagine that it would ever be a problem. If he is too loud for whatever reson I just give him the shhh please gesture and he gets it.

My dad was from Russia and was picked on when he was a kid in USA for the way he talked .And when I started taking my speech effect reminded my dad of his horrible time as a kid and my dad would hit me for this. And my older sister and brother made fun of my speech. I did not like to talk a lot in my family is was safer to not say anything!

My mum's side of the family are all from England. They were extremely meticulous about my pronunciation and enunciation. Especially my grandmother. She got pissy with me whenever I was dropping letters at the end of words. But now, I'm extremely grateful for their nitpicking on my speech.

During sex, we don't wear our aids due to the squealing :giggle:

My first year at RIT (living in the dorms) I was walking through the Deaf dorms (Ellingson Tower A), and I heard squealing. Around that time, there was an issue of rape occurring throughout the campus. So needless to say, I freaked and thought something bad was happening, so I rang the doorbell incessantly. Turned out it was just a couple having sex. Mind you, this was the first time I had been around this many deaf/hh people and the first month or so of being there, much less hear them having sex. Whoops? :dunno2:

My first year at RIT (living in the dorms) I was walking through the Deaf dorms (Ellingson Tower A), and I heard squealing. Around that time, there was an issue of rape occurring throughout the campus. So needless to say, I freaked and thought something bad was happening, so I rang the doorbell incessantly. Turned out it was just a couple having sex. Mind you, this was the first time I had been around this many deaf/hh people and the first month or so of being there, much less hear them having sex. Whoops? :dunno2:

LOL...

Yeah, I was there during '83-'87. Took me awhile to get used to all the commotion. I worked as an RSA back then, we got to see a lot of interesting things....:giggle:

I did too (lived there, not as an RSA though). I was there 88-92.

Ever watch a bulldog eat pudding? That is pretty much what the squishing sounded like.

:shock:

:laugh2:

:lol:

I got a habit of when I about to let out my breathe, I hold it for the extra second than normal and let it out as I'm "sigh"ing... that's normal right?

I got many habits on breathing, biting my lip, etc., but I gotta work on my walking... If I focus on walking nicely, I always go to the side and then walk arkward... :roll:

Damn Californians... :slap:

Omg....i just came back to this and saw all the responses .. It feels so good that I'm not alone.. Not that I would wish worrying about this to anyone... I have decided I'm going to make a concious effort to try to not worry so much cuz its making me mad and it isn't even worth the worry

Yeah, I have a problem in the past especially while I was eating. I tend to make little hum sound when I'm eating. It sounded like every food are so delicious and I hummmmm very quietly. Then one day, my ex g/f asked me why I hum. I told her I have no idea that I was making a hum sound. Then I got very self councious of myself. Then another person making fun of me about how I snore so loud. At first I don't believe in myself I really snored. So, I decided to test myself by leaving my HA on all night. Boy! As soon as I started snore, I was up on the ceiling flat! It scare the sh*t out of me!!

So, snoring it the only problem and all the rest, I finally break the habits.

Yes, there were times I did wonder how much an hearing person could hear. Such as when I'm living in a community and wonder how much can the person or family living next door or upstairs or downstairs could hear? Or when I burp in a restaurant, if they could hear it and stuff like that. In a way, it's not fair! LOL!

normal noises

Damn, high school was a nightmare for me. I was the only deafie in the high school and I fixated over my breathing. I would hold my breath and try not to make audible gasps as I let out my breaths. I guess by the odd looks by people sitting close by, I was at death's door.

And my stomach. It was such a traitor. It would growl, no, bark during a class session, so all the gods were gleefully after me.

But now, in retrospect...

Hey Wulfy..laughing...call me sometimes. (sorry that was off topic)..OK..I have actually been out to dinner and had the woman at the table next to me tell me I was speaking to loudly and annoying her..Hmmmm. I am usually a very tolerant person, but it was a bad day for me ( no excuse i know) but i can't hear my own voice so I dont know how loud I am ..I waited and as I left I stopped at her table and said in my usual speaking voice " please excuse me if my deafness has inconvenienced you"...laughing..her face got red but I felt satisfied. I have since learned from my therapy that I can put my hand on my throat and feel my voice raise or lower..kinda cool...but I just started to speak again in rehab so I speak softly but I'm sure I will be my same Loud self when I get to go home...Peace to everyone...it"s SPRING YAY!M♥♥♥

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Ha forgot how loud some things are when I stopped wearing hearing aids. I remember my parents told me to shush when my breathing was loud in a store.

Is it just me or pretty common for a deaf person from a hearing family to worry a lot about breathing too loud that it causes erratic/tense breathing? I also worry that I'm too loud when I'm eating...I know its ridiculous and I try to forget about it but it always comes back

LOL sooo normal! :D I always worry about flushing the toilet after everybody goes to bed (I'm a night owl).. I never know. Should I flush? Will it wake them up=piss them off? Can I eat chips or other noisy food?

GAH! :giggle:

I knew of a kid that had contest in seeing who could hold their breath the longest . The kid won and dies. Very sad and dumb.

I think that's impossible.. I'm pretty sure it is. People pass out first and then start breathing automatically.

Well, there's an exception to everything lol

Is there an exception to the rule that there is an exception to everything? And if there is, then it REALLY is the exception that proves the rule!

Whoah, I feel :dizzy: now.

I always tiptoe around my house after everyone has gone to bed too. Super-quiet about shutting doors, opening refrigerator, what I eat, etc. I take a shower on a different level than where my SO is sleeping. He always tells me not to worry, that even if I did make enough noise to wake him up, it would only just barely and he would drift right back to sleep. I just don't know how loud is TOO loud. Gah!

Back