Interpreter jobs-deaf issuies

deafcolette16

Reaction score
Hi i am a 16 year old girl who is very fustrated with the fact that my teachers at school say you cant interprehate for deaf children-(sorry for my spelling) I am Half deaf-half hearing and wear a hearing aid whats so funny is that none of my family are deaf!

What do you guys say? i mean i have another disability as it is and sometimes this makes me feel small its like saying im not even capable to work with children! Any advice guys Asap?
View attachment 13799 this is me and ma heating cousin! :aw::angel::kiss::cuddle::cry::sadwave:

Thanks 4 readin this!

Not sure what you are asking. This has come up before and lots of deaf people would prefer not to have a hoh interpreter.

There is too much chance they will miss something or get it wrong.

There are many careers open to you however. A teacher of the deaf might be one choice.

There are HOH terps out there. I am one. I personally know at least six more.

I am going to get flamed for saying this, but it's not up to the deaf client to judge a HOH terp. It is the terp's responsibility to know if they are capable of doing the job. If they are, then they are equally qualified to any other interpreter.

For example, I have 35-40 dB loss below 6kHz. With my hearing aids, which average 20 dB gain, I have 15-20 dB loss, which is considered to be normal hearing. Same as any other interpreter. I know I am capable of doing my job. If there is a situation I cannot do, I don't accept the job. I don't interpret without my hearing aids.

People who say "I won't accept any HOH interpreter" are silly. How do they know what an individual terp is capable of? They may fear the terp will miss something, but HOH interpreters are responsible people, who are sensitive to the situation, and would not be doing the job if they were missing things. People are afraid of something they don't understand.

No offend, but you're only 16 years old, Most deaf would prefer to use certified sign language interpreters. I've had a college student that had interpret at my son's school meeting, her signs were horrible, I'm not saying your signs may be horrible too. I'm just sharing my experience with a non-certified interpreter, anyways I didn't tell her how bad her signs were, I kept my mouth shut the entire meeting, I didn't want to offended her and tell her she needs more practicing. But; you get my point? :)

Etoile, I know that in the ITP here in Toronto they don't accept people who are hard of hearing. I believe I was told they think it is unethical.

But if you read her post she said Deaf Children, they wont judge her. You can become maybe a teaching assistant in a primary school which signs if you would like or maybe you can become an interpreter, you just have to find the right place and find out more information. Are you in college in september? is that why your worried about your future?

There are HOH terps out there. I am one. I personally know at least six more.

I am going to get flamed for saying this, but it's not up to the deaf client to judge a HOH terp. It is the terp's responsibility to know if they are capable of doing the job. If they are, then they are equally qualified to any other interpreter.

For example, I have 35-40 dB loss below 6kHz. With my hearing aids, which average 20 dB gain, I have 15-20 dB loss, which is considered to be normal hearing. Same as any other interpreter. I know I am capable of doing my job. If there is a situation I cannot do, I don't accept the job. I don't interpret without my hearing aids.

People who say "I won't accept any HOH interpreter" are silly. How do they know what an individual terp is capable of? They may fear the terp will miss something, but HOH interpreters are responsible people, who are sensitive to the situation, and would not be doing the job if they were missing things. People are afraid of something they don't understand.

I guess it is because it is the very reason why they need an interpreter in the first place. They want a hearing person who can hear clearly without hearing aids. Deaf can be teachers, but I don't know about interpreters. If they can pass an audiology test with or without hearing aids/CI and without reading lips, I suppose they can do it

Being deaf means you have limits as far as hearing. I wouldn't trust a deaf person handling 911 call unless they have a tty rely service or some kind of help.

Hi i am a 16 year old girl who is very fustrated with the fact that my teachers at school say you cant interprehate for deaf children-(sorry for my spelling) I am Half deaf-half hearing and wear a hearing aid whats so funny is that none of my family are deaf!

What do you guys say? i mean i have another disability as it is and sometimes this makes me feel small its like saying im not even capable to work with children! Any advice guys Asap?
View attachment 13799 this is me and ma heating cousin! :aw::angel::kiss::cuddle::cry::sadwave:

Thanks 4 readin this!

When I was a girl, I wanted to be a air traffic controller. NONE of my teachers told me that I can't do this job. your teachers should have just let you figure it out yourself what you are capable of or not like my teachers did. They just wanted me to dream that I can do anything. They did not make me feel letdown. In the end, I realize on my own that I was not capable of this job. Because I can't understand anything on the phone or radio, so that lead me to believe I wouldn't understand the air traffic radio either.

This just made me think of something-- when I worked w/preschoolers we had one young boy who was deaf- and eventually got a CI-- and he had an 'terp. She was deaf~ but wore HA's and quite oral... she signed to him what the lead teacher said, etc. It was really quite neat b/c that's where I learned what few signs I still remember.

She was also a beauty queen, won a few pagents in our area.

No flames here Etoile.
My Hubs, AD - ran256, is becoming an HOH Interpreter for his retirement career. I also know plenty of HOH Terps who do a fantastic job and can relate on a personal level with the client.

I guess it is because it is the very reason why they need an interpreter in the first place. They want a hearing person who can hear clearly without hearing aids. Deaf can be teachers, but I don't know about interpreters. If they can pass an audiology test with or without hearing aids/CI and without reading lips, I suppose they can do it

Being deaf means you have limits as far as hearing. I wouldn't trust a deaf person handling 911 call unless they have a tty rely service or some kind of help.

Why does it matter if the terp is wearing hearing aids, as long as they hear equivalent to a hearing person? Think about what you said. "Someone who hears clearly without hearing aids." What difference does it make if they DO or DON'T wear them as long as they HEAR CLEARLY?

I'd like to point out that the ONLY opposition I have seen has been online. Nobody I have interpreted for has ever complained. Many people appreciate it. I don't know why there is a culture against HOH terps online but I have NEVER seen it in the real world.

As a HOH person myself, I've never trusted my hearing aids to pick up words accurately without reading lips. If I see someone with hearing aids, I immediately think of myself and the struggle I've went through. Now I don't mind them interpreting for me in general stuffs if they can hear better than me, but when it comes to serious stuffs like education, court, etc. I rather use a hearing person who don't wear hearing aids. BUT I trust a person with at least one good hearing ear.

Why does it matter if the terp is wearing hearing aids, as long as they hear equivalent to a hearing person? Think about what you said. "Someone who hears clearly without hearing aids." What difference does it make if they DO or DON'T wear them as long as they HEAR CLEARLY?

I'd like to point out that the ONLY opposition I have seen has been online. Nobody I have interpreted for has ever complained. Many people appreciate it. I don't know why there is a culture against HOH terps online but I have NEVER seen it in the real world.

Lighthouse said "With OR without."

As far as the HOH thing goes, I agree with you. As long as the HA brings you to the point that you can pass the audiology test, and you pass whatever certification is required for the situation (NIC/RID or EIPA (in schools), or else state QA exam), then you should be allowed to interpret.

Now, I would say that hearing and HOH interpreters should both be subjected to regular in-situation evaluations to assure quality performance, but I would require that you pass a test showing that the HA brings you to a normal level of hearing.

As for the main post, I am 21, have been signing for 3 years and will be continuing my education in the fall for interpreting. I do not have enough confidence in my own interpreting skills to take up any job as an interpreter just yet. I am more than willing to interpret in a situation where a terp cannot be found (AKA, impromptu get-togethers, religious gatherings where the Deaf person shows up without a terp,etc.), and have even paired with the terps at Highland Park Baptist Church doing the music, which is the easy part for me (ok, there are some songs that go so fast even the best interpreter in our school can't do, but that is beside the point). I haven't yet figured out if it is a good or bad thing that some Deaf people are selecting me personally occasionally.

The point is, you are 16. I don't know about your past or your school district, but I will say this much: most schools in my area consider an interpreting position as a "paraprofessional" position. It requires that a person pass the standardized paraprofessional test in that area (they have a few that meet the No Child Left Behind Act), or else obtain certification equivalent or above the Parapro test. If you can't feel confident enough to take and pass one of those certifications, then I would suggest you get into the school and take courses tailored to interpreting. Some schools do have them. Wait on an interpreting job until after you get some interpreting classes under your belt. Jumping the gun too early might hurt future opportunities that you might need.

As a HOH person myself, I've never trusted my hearing aids to pick up words accurately without reading lips. If I see someone with hearing aids, I immediately think of myself and the struggle I've went through. Now I don't mind them interpreting for me in general stuffs if they can hear better than me, but when it comes to serious stuffs like education, court, etc. I rather use a hearing person who don't wear hearing aids. BUT I trust a person with at least one good hearing ear.
I apologize for my initial reaction, it was a little emotional. You're quite right to think of your own struggle, but do remember that everyone is different. I can carry on a conversation with my back turned when I am wearing my hearing aids; as you said, if someone can demonstrate their abilities, then why shouldn't they be an interpreter?

Lighthouse said "With OR without."
You're right, I missed the second part, I was too busy looking at the first part. Thanks for drawing my attention to that. It put the post in a completely different light for me. :ty:

As far as the HOH thing goes, I agree with you. As long as the HA brings you to the point that you can pass the audiology test, and you pass whatever certification is required for the situation (NIC/RID or EIPA (in schools), or else state QA exam), then you should be allowed to interpret.

Now, I would say that hearing and HOH interpreters should both be subjected to regular in-situation evaluations to assure quality performance, but I would require that you pass a test showing that the HA brings you to a normal level of hearing.
More on this later, I am SO late for class right now! :giggle:

hi, I'm an hoh interpreter at an elementary school and i do pretty good especially if i have my fm system....but i still struggle because i cannot be used for all stituations. being a hard of hearing interpreter is tough in a compettive field. i almost want to quit....i'm not in the stituation to go to college for 6years...guess i'm asking for advice too! ;)...what jobs can i do as a 'deaf' person that pays as well as interpretering? should i continue interpretering as long as i only interpret in stituation I know I can do? I passed up the chance to take the RID cuz i thought iwasnt good enough now i'm kicking myself in the butt! ah! help! i feel stupid for trying to do an hearing job! i know theres hoh interpreters out there but i know they probably hear better than me. but i do hear and do good with fm system

Back