In Defense of BYU

chirowife03

Reaction score
Hi

In defense of BYU - I am a member of the church who owns that school. I am very aware of the conduct of the students AND the staff. I am also aware of the integrity of the campus & faculty. I find it very hard to beleive the story that was posted about the nursing student not being assisted.

I know there are always two sides. The school embraces all.

Thank you

Penni
San Jose, CA

I'm a bit fuzzy and behind on the news. What did Brigham Young do wrong here?

Ah. I see. Did BYU supply a reason for denial? Like academic performance or something else?

I cannot find the thread so I cannot recall.. I just know that I was very unconvinced due to my personal relation with the collge. :)

I know that my husbands College he was first attending recently in Iowa denied to assist him with an interpretor and spending ANY money to accomodate him. Then one of their admissions staff admitted to us when we left the school that they do NOT accomodate disabled students!! Civil Rights Commissions took our case- they only take what they think they can win. They better win, cause i"m gonna nail em in court!!! I need some cash!!! HAHAHA

Penni

Wow! Good luck!

The University of California at Berkeley also has a bad reputation. The deaf students there have previously filed lawsuits alleging inadequate accomodation.

Really? Hmm.. well we were not the first to file at this college also. So the CRC decided to go ahead and nail them. We had a student who was also in our church there at the college and he is blind and terminally ill. He wants to be in school regardless becaues he feels his education is eternal. Well....they would not help him either. He and my husband were together in school. He too is now sueing them.

Once the CRC proves they broke the law=then we can sue civilly. I think this will be easy to prove for them , becuase again, they told us they only take cases they know they can win.

Penni

Perhaps, it's something other than her deafness. A lot of deaf people do what colored people do. They say they aren't hired cuz of their difference. A black man applies for a job. He has no degree or work experience. The company hires a white man with a college degree and work experience. So, the black man sues for racial discrimination. A deaf man applies for a job. He has no degree and work experience. The company hires a hearing man with a college degree and work experience. So, the deaf man sues for deaf discrimination.

Sometimes, I think that these people need to shut up and accept the fact that they are not qualified for the job, not because of their deafness, and move on.

I worked my ass off to get through college. I have a lot of work experience. I just got my BS degree. I am currently working on my MS degree. I don't appreciate deaf alcoholic potheads complaining that they weren't hired cuz of their deafness when they have absolutely no life and experience cuz all they do is sit around and get drunk and stoned. :roll:

If this person was really rejected cuz of deafness, then something is wrong. But, like I said... let's not jump to conclusions and wait until we know what's really going on. :)

Exactly becuase if she WERE Drinking and smoking pot, I doubt she would be at our college. HAHAHAAH we are MORMON. hahaha

Appreciate your point- and I agree.

Penni

Yeah the beehive state is full of institutions that decides whats best for their residents and students and uses subtle influences to exact that decisions. This also a state that allows people to have multiple wives and have wives younger than the legal age.

Lots of brainwashed Utah folks continue to say pretty things about the systems that impede deaf/disability interests.

Richard

chirowife03 said:
I cannot find the thread so I cannot recall.. I just know that I was very unconvinced due to my personal relation with the collge. :)i

It was this thread. Since Deaf258 never posted any follow-ups, I’m inclined to think that it was some sort of misunderstanding which was amicably resolved.

Well, I dont know what HILL you came from but in Utah it IS against the law to have plural wives and they are busted when they find out about it. There are some weirdo's.. but they are not affiliated to the LDS church. They are apostates-we do not approve of such things period.

I haven't heard anything about BYU discriminating against deaf or otherwise disabled applicants or students. Deaf 258 never followed up so I can't verify his story.

What was the Iowa college that discriminated against your husband? Iowa is actually really good about that sort of thing, and I have a friend who has a law degree and has passed the Iowa bar but doesn't actively practice law at the moment who does a lot of research for colleges related to disability access, an ADA expert, if you will.

Palmer College of Chiropractic, Davenport. They would not accomodate my husbands hearing loss. THey were to provide an interpretor. They refused. They were to provide a note taker, didn't do it. They were suppose to provide all the notes for each class, they did not and when they did it was only later on in the course. They were suppose to give him extra lab time and they gave him half the time that hearing students got. now they are trying to lie about it to the civil rights commission.

We are not lying and if they do and get away with it......there are others who also have complained. So.one way or another, they are gonna get nailed.

We left because of it. We didn't tell them at the end that was why we were leaving, we didn't want them to know we were building a case against them. We did tell the Dean off, or I did, and he got mad at me and raised his voice at me in his office---dont raise your voice to this mormon girl. He is lucky I didn't nail him. We made so many sacrifices to do this schooling and I'm sick adn tired of having a husband that doesn't work!!! for them to slow him down by not helping him and wasting our time makes me really angry.

The civil rights commission is building the case and then if they win, then we can go ahead and sue and i would like to speak to your friend.

Penni
chirowife03@Yahoo.com

Mm... Chirowife.... are you talking about a young woman who enrolled at BYU, is now studying in nursing? Yes, she is my personal friend and I worked with her at the camp site when she was a nurse *internship*. if chirowife is talking about what I am thinking then I can confirm that Chriowife's story is true.

I believe that that woman who is studying in nursing is filing a complaint. I haven't heard the update yet. I can ask her personally.

Back