Implant Cochlear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't Mrs Bucket expecting twins soon? Probably very busy these days.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

What's your solution to the 5th grade reading level for the D/deaf? It seems to be very wide spread, and guess where majority of the students are?

Mainstream!
LOL. I know! It really does seem to be a combo of issues.....like it's very well known that many oral deaf kids start having major issues around fourth grade.
Unfortunatly due to oral deaf ed's attitude that "gotta" just get them into the mainstream ASAP, there's not a lot of middle school or high school oral programs. And then a lot of students may be in crappy mainstream programs or their parents don't know about the Deaf School option. (in other words their parents are more like my parents who either don't know abt deaf schools or they think they're just for voice off kids) As you know, I think that solotaireing needs to be done on a limited basis. In other words, like the way it was done BEFORE mainstreaming became the norm.I think too that the Deaf Schools need to carefully monitor the regional dhh programs, and make the students in them aware of deaf school.
Clarke's dying.

Guess why???
Actually I think it's a combo of reasons why Clarke as a school is dying. They're now pushing the early intervention, so it's more of an early intervention school, rather then an actual p-8 school. Also, maybe some of it, is b/c at oral deaf schools, speech therapy is VERY intense. On the St. Joseph's site they say that tutioion can be covered by insurance(b/c a lot of the tution costs are due to intense speech therapy) .....guess what? Generous insurance benifits have gone down quite a bit.
Also, Clarke is suffering from the very same problem that other deaf schools are suffering from......parents generally don't know about them. It has been decades since going off to dorm school was the norm.
But I do agree with you. Unless something happens, it's going to be super rare to see grade schoolers at CID, Clarke, St. Joseph's, Moog and the other Big Programs.

Mod note:

Thread is closed, it is obvious to see why this thread is ending up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back