I'm sad :(

Em903

Premium Member
Reaction score
I just lost my job at Starbucks. I helped open the store and was there for two years! Almost every store that is staying open had to let go 1-2 employees because of the economy and no business. No business=no hours.

This sucks :(

They're wanting the company to have 70% of their employees to be working 30+hours/week. My current availability didn't allow for that and the manager said even if I changed my availability it wouldn't matter, it was "out of her hands".

Starbucks :mad2: They even closed my starbucks in my hometown of Australia!

Carly,

What was your seniority on the list? Better check into it and appeal it if you're let go and anyone with less seniority than you is still there. See if you can contact the district manager.

Too bad it's not unionized, you wouldn't have gotten axed. But, then again, the younger generation doesn't want job security. :roll:

Yea, it's something I don't understand. There are two other employees there who have more availability than I do but yet they were hired after I was therefore, less seniority than me. So even if I were to say, "Yes I am available for more hours" should they get the boot? I don't understand it at all. I'm trying not to be frustrated over it.

I am not so sure about this one. You could start over to run your company. For example, in eastern states, a few Friendly's restaurants still open independently.

I am not so sure about this one. You could start over to run your company. For example, in eastern states, a few Friendly's restaurants still open independently.

I'm a poor (soon to be very poor! lol) college student! No money to open own restaurant!

They didn't hire new people after, they can't afford to because of no hours.

I am so sorry that happen to you for losing your job because of the no hours and poor economy. :hug: I hope you can try to look for job that you like or find a better position so that you can have enough money to live on. It look like you will have to go on unemployment checks or on welfare until you get back on your feet again. I don't know. That is my opinion and my thinking. :hmm:

I just lost my job at Starbucks. I helped open the store and was there for two years! Almost every store that is staying open had to let go 1-2 employees because of the economy and no business. No business=no hours.

*Quietly hugs Carly* I'm sorry hun. I don't have a whole lot of consolation, but I hope that tommorrow is a brighter day for you!

So So Sorry to hear, keep your spirit up, all will work out for you! This could be really good for you to start something new and different!!!:cuddle: Good things to come!! smile big!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost your job at Starbucks, hopefully another opportunity will come your way. Hang in there. :hug:

That really does suck. Could you get work study through your school?

Move to Washington DC, because , there are plenty of positions available at private-owned coffee shops around here. A lot of deaf people working here at coffee shops, it's nice to use ASL to order a coffee, while you have to write. :nana: Seriously, a lot of government employers can not live without coffee in the mornings. :D

Sad to say... This is not just happening at Star bucks.

It is happening everywhere.

Many jobs rid of the people with seniority, due to they get paid more. So they can keep the lower paying people, to save money.

Sad but true. It is basically a budget cut. Just like everything else that is being cut back.

Hate to sound harsh.

I work at a pre school center. My hours been cut as well. Due to Parents losing jobs. Less kids in pre school. because they stay home with the parent... Less kids... few the ratio per staff. Meaning less staff is needed..... Boss usually send the higher paying staff home first.

Guess what??? I am one of them!! :( sucks!!

Thanks all for the words of encouragement :) I know I am not the only one affected by this crappy economy issue. When Sbux had closed the first 600 stores I thought I was safe bc my store was safe. The store I had previously worked at, trained at, was planning to close and the store I had considered moving to (that had JUST opened no less!) was closing as well. And now they're "letting go" even more employees. It just hurts : /

To Bebonang: I'm lucky I still live with my parents. But I always prided myself on being able to pay my way through college with tuition and textbooks. My parents told me they would support me as I'm not a burden to them thankfully. I guess I have to swallow my pride a bit on this one.

To Babyblue: I hope the best for you! Are you one of the higher paid staff? My dad is a teacher who was close to getting his doctorate. Sad when the best people with the best background are wanted the least. He had to sign contract saying agree to less pay otherwise, no job.

To Bottesini: During my first few years of college... I didn't do so hot even though I was a straight A student in HS. I got burnt out on my previous courses (Secondary French Education Minor in German) so my GPA suffered a ton! I'm not eligible, yet, for jobs like on campus. But am working towards bringing up my GPA as I found new focus and new love of ASL :)

Thank you all for hugs and kind words, it helps! It just came as big shock to me today, hard pill to swallow. I plan on job hunting soon, after semester is over in a few weeks. I can't start a new job while worrying about finals! Eek!

Move to Washington DC, because , there are plenty of positions available at private-owned coffee shops around here. A lot of deaf people working here at coffee shops, it's nice to use ASL to order a coffee, while you have to write. :nana: Seriously, a lot of government employers can not live without coffee in the mornings. :D

Hehe, smiles, can't afford to move! DC is scary place to be. My ASL is good for beginner but beginner I am still.

Here's a story:
Last summer, I had a deaf customer come in but at the time, had no knowledge of ASL under my belt. She wrote down her order and I really wanted to talk with her than just pen and paper. Seems so impersonal! I could speak with the German customers in German and the French customers in French yet I couldn't communicate with a deaf customer of mine. She was one of the reasons I took up ASL. I'm not near the deaf community in my neighborhood but I totally fell in love with the language.

Fast forward to having 2 semesters under my belt of ASL: about a month ago, another lady came in, signed I'm deaf, paper? I was able to sign to her! Her face just lit up, she was so happy! And gosh darn it I could get her a Venti extra pump Toffee Nut Latte!!! I told her to come back in and see me again. Now I won't be there :(

Hehe, smiles, can't afford to move! DC is scary place to be. My ASL is good for beginner but beginner I am still.

Here's a story:
Last summer, I had a deaf customer come in but at the time, had no knowledge of ASL under my belt. She wrote down her order and I really wanted to talk with her than just pen and paper. Seems so impersonal! I could speak with the German customers in German and the French customers in French yet I couldn't communicate with a deaf customer of mine. She was one of the reasons I took up ASL. I'm not near the deaf community in my neighborhood but I totally fell in love with the language.

Fast forward to having 2 semesters under my belt of ASL: about a month ago, another lady came in, signed I'm deaf, paper? I was able to sign to her! Her face just lit up, she was so happy! And gosh darn it I could get her a Venti extra pump Toffee Nut Latte!!! I told her to come back in and see me again. Now I won't be there :(

Yes, I totally understand how you feel. Perhaps you could take some ASL classes to become interpreter in the near future so you'll be able to work with deaf customers every day. :D

Back