I'm losing my mind at work

I know for a fact I am losing my mind over work!
I'm the only Deaf person there and although I work at an animal hospital and love being there because I'm around animals all day it's just really...
lonely there.

I said nothing about suing the employer.

Employers are supposed to provide reasonable accommodations. A reasonable accommodation would be putting Lady Solitary on the day shift, so she can more effectively communicate with customers. As she already expressed, a large glass window between her and the customers makes it more difficult for her to communicate with them. During the day shift she has more one on one contact, and if need be she can give them a piece of paper and pen if she is not getting what they are saying.

Well, that's not what I meant. It's to prove your boss if he/she doesn't believe your side of the story.

Its not just for sueing, it could be to protect one self from being backfired. written has stronger case than verbal, whether for defense or offensive. We all know offensive is not always good way to approach.

A good example were if I had issue with my supervisor, I documenting whatever is going on then when the issue gets too big to handle and needs to escalate to management or human resource and having a paper trails will be a major help than have none to back up.

ok..... this is.... just a gas station..... not some corporation.

if you're having a shit time at this kind of job, it's just best to leave and go somewhere else. or in her case..... go back to night shift since she hasn't much issue with it for quite a while.

What an a-hole.

I agree with the documentation idea, it would be smart. Write down time, dates, who you communicated with, what you said, their response etc.

I'd also encourage you to have another conversation with your boss, and tell him here is a perfect example of why the night shift doesn't work.

Try to brush off that idiots remark. He's clearly unhappy with his life and wants to bring others down with him. Try not to let him get to you.

Dont insult to swearing@ inappropriate behavior well you know on alldeaf respect her!

jeez.... don't you ever get anything right on whatever you read?

So after being stuck on the night shift ( I work at a gas station and my boss is aware that I prefer to work during the days, in the fish bowl as I call it) and a issue with a customer I try to apologize and explain to the customer that I couldn't hear him through the glass and I was hard of hearing (because its easier to explain to the hearies that way, until now). He kept getting pissy, finally said I was deaf and he gave me the most messed up face and said "You just made my night worse by telling me your deaf." Worst. Shift. Ever. People are just vile.... I'm so angry!

So after being stuck on the night shift ( I work at a gas station and my boss is aware that I prefer to work during the days, in the fish bowl as I call it) and a issue with a customer I try to apologize and explain to the customer that I couldn't hear him through the glass and I was hard of hearing (because its easier to explain to the hearies that way, until now). He kept getting pissy, finally said I was deaf and he gave me the most messed up face and said "You just made my night worse by telling me your deaf." Worst. Shift. Ever. People are just vile.... I'm so angry!

E.V.I.L.

Sorry you have bad Hearie day at work. :hug:

I think it's more like an intolerable situation. You should probably try for VR funding for schooling or at least more appropriate job placement.

Dont insult to swearing@ inappropriate behavior well you know on alldeaf respect her!

Either you didn't understand my post, or I didn't understand yours.

I was saying the customer was an a-hole. Not LadySolitary.

LadySolitary has clearly stated she prefers to work during the day. My posts were in support and alignment with what she said.

Also, yes- it's a gas station. Which very well could be a corporation for all we know. Either way, ADA laws still apply.

jeez.... don't you ever get anything right on whatever you read?

Jiro- if you have a bone to pick, please take it up with me via PM. It isn't helpful to the OP, or anyone for that matter to have you jumping all over every one of my posts.

And my reading comprehension is not an area of concern.

Jiro- if you have a bone to pick, please take it up with me via PM. It isn't helpful to the OP, or anyone for that matter to have you jumping all over every one of my posts.

And my reading comprehension is not an area of concern.

Bad reading comprehension leads to wrong advice. ADA Law does not apply to employee-customer.

Bad reading comprehension leads to wrong advice. ADA Law does not apply to employee-customer.

I was not referring to her issue with the customer. My only comment relating to LS and the customer was that the guy was an a-hole.

My comment was in regards to LadySolitary getting her boss to put her on the day shift. Perhaps it would be prudent of you not to insult others reading comprehension.

I was not referring to her issue with the customer. My only comment relating to LS and the customer was that the guy was an a-hole.

My comment was in regards to LadySolitary getting her boss to put her on the day shift.

Insult? Ma'am... that wasn't an insult. I'm pointing it out to you once again so that you don't make a mistake next time because this is not first time you did this. I know you've got a tendency jump on everything to help us all but if you're gonna do that - then be damn sure that you get it right first time. I hope you didn't tell your first-grade teacher that it's an insult if teacher marked your answer wrong with a red pen.

btw - common sense and logic dictate that putting her on day job would be a bad idea because that would means dealing with much more impatient & difficult customers than during night shift. That would also means she'll be dealing with customers worse than that rude asshole. Unless.... she will be working with other coworker.

let's not coddle her or raise false hope. Let's face it... it's just a gas station. a simple 24/7 gas station. I don't expect boss to accommodate deaf people or anything at all beside changing swifts around. I believe her boss has been kind enough to hire her in the first place and to accommodate her to a reasonable degree for her schedule so I believe it's prudent to tell LS that it's now a time to seek different job because it's just not working out anymore for her.

Perhaps it would be prudent of you not to insult others reading comprehension.
why's that?

I'm in agreement with Jiro...and believe that Lady, now that her hearing has worsened, needs to find another job that is not so dependent upon her hearing (dealing with hearing customers).

The glass is for her protection. And she cannot hear the customer behind the glass. As for changing shifts, that would be unfair to the other workers there. And probably causing a lot of hard feelings and discord among the work place.

terrible but you should know that "lying" just made it worse. You said you're hard-of-hearing.... and then deaf. I would get annoyed off too if employee lied to me and made everything difficult for me. because after all.... it's a selfish world we live in but we're a paying customer and we pay for service that we demand. It's no different with me trying to communicate with an employee who can't speak English well.

consider this a learning experience on dealing with people because hey - you asked for it, right? You asked to work in daytime and that means more interaction with people so just try your best to try to make next encounter easier but don't lie.

Just to clearify exactly what happened, the customer bought a cell phone charger from his phone that plugged into his car. I explained to him there was no refund policy on them. He came back to tell me his car didn't have a cig lighter for him to use the charger, so he wanted to pay me to charge it inside, which I couldn't because of the fact that the wall chargers in the stores were new and I couldn't just swipe the chargers. He kept talking in a mumbling way and I told him I'm HOH (because I AM Severely HOH and going deaf and I feel for my own safety the customer does not need to know my level of deafness.) although I would rather use the term deaf because its what I feel comfortable with, I lied about nothing. I told him I was deaf and hard of hearing. Its not like I'm a hearie saying I'm deaf. That to me WOULD be a lie.

:lol: You whinin' about rude customers? Not just you deal with their shit everyday. That's life,lady. I thought maybe you'd know that but I guess not. What if a customer have a gun in yo' face, tellin' ya give me money,sucka? :lol:

Tell him Im sorry I dont know how b/c Im deaf? I dont tell ppl Im deaf(unless ask). EVER!

Wow Tim, I really lost respect for you.

I'm in agreement with Jiro...and believe that Lady, now that her hearing has worsened, needs to find another job that is not so dependent upon her hearing (dealing with hearing customers).

The glass is for her protection. And she cannot hear the customer behind the glass. As for changing shifts, that would be unfair to the other workers there. And probably causing a lot of hard feelings and discord among the work place.

I honestly don't know if it is or isn't. But trust me I want out of this place and its not easy looking for work right now but I'm trying.

Just to clearify exactly what happened, the customer bought a cell phone charger from his phone that plugged into his car. I explained to him there was no refund policy on them. He came back to tell me his car didn't have a cig lighter for him to use the charger, so he wanted to pay me to charge it inside, which I couldn't because of the fact that the wall chargers in the stores were new and I couldn't just swipe the chargers. He kept talking in a mumbling way and I told him I'm HOH (because I AM Severely HOH and going deaf and I feel for my own safety the customer does not need to know my level of deafness.) although I would rather use the term deaf because its what I feel comfortable with, I lied about nothing. I told him I was deaf and hard of hearing. Its not like I'm a hearie saying I'm deaf. That to me WOULD be a lie.

lol I would pay to see you telling him - "would you like a tampon with that?"

next time - just repeat and point at sign - "SORRY! NO REFUND" or "ALL SALES ARE FINAL". that's all he needs to know despite of his yabba dabba jabbering. I know. I've been there.... not as employee dealing with groveling customer begging for some leeway... the other way around :lol:

lol I would pay to see you telling him - "would you like a tampon with that?"

next time - just repeat and point at sign - "SORRY! NO REFUND" or "ALL SALES ARE FINAL". that's all he needs to know despite of his yabba dabba jabbering. I know. I've been there.... not as employee dealing with groveling customer begging for some leeway... the other way around :lol:

The tampon thing would never go past my thoughts lol. Regardless I always treat my customers with respect even if I'm treated like crap. I just show pride in customer service.

I figured you understood too Jiro, funny thing is we don't even have a sign for that! Stupid huh? I'm just letting off some steam because some people don't understand what its like. I mean yes, I know theres going to be a-holes everywhere I go. The only reason I'm still working there is because I have to, to survive. It was just a bigger reality check for me working that night on how more worse my hearing has got and how quickly I need to find other work. But Cali is doing really bad right now with hiring. I feel discouraged but I'm trying not to give up. :)

Wow Tim, I really lost respect for you.

I didnt mean to upset'cha. :)

There are some rude mofos out there. I get that. Im sorry you have to deal with rude customers and that is part of the job. I remember ppl asked me for directions every single day when I worked for landscapin' company in very big city. Most of time, I didnt wear my aid. It is very frustratin. Get this, some of the ppl got upset with me b/c I couldnt hear them. I'd just point my finger in that direction. :lol:

Back