If you're a working mother or If you're a working single father

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're a working mother or If you're a working single father, do you feel any pressure (from family, friends, society, etc.) to quit work and be a stay-at-home mom/dad?

With me, my parent never pressure me to stay home and be a full time mother but my friends think I should, But they don't pay my bills, I do and they don't know what it is like being in my shoes to be able to work and providing for my family. :)

I work full time 5 am to 1 pm, and go home by 2 pm (one hr commute) and watch my boys after 2... my hubby is part time stay home dad until he finds a job, he was full time contractor until he lost his job 2 weeks ago.

yes, we feel pressured by family by high expectation for us to stay here in VA forever. we are trying to move back to TX, family isnt pleased, so it is 50-50.

One reason we wanna go back to TX bec not high cost living like where we are right now. we just spent over $16,000 bucks for daycare which is a lot. Me watching boys in afternoons and hubby watching boys in mornings, seems works out well.

You may not always agreed this but for some reasons, I think working as a full time mom is a reward for becoming a better mom! I dont know if yall get it?

I understand how you feel. You need to work to support your family. Some people just don't understand that. :roll:

I am working full time 5 am til 1 and get home in 5 min, really near between my home and work to drive ;) my husband is working full time 5 pm til 1 am, so girls are watched with me afternoons and with my husband in the mornings, girls are not going to daycare never, save our money alot, older daughter is going to ECEAP for 2 hrs a day 4 days a week to develop her speech she can hear but not speak much cuz we are deaf cant teach her speak so preschool takes care of it and it is free, younger daughter is staying home :)

Well, I'm full time working from 7.30am to 4.00pm every day from Monday to Friday.
My hubby work part time from 5.00pm to 10pm every day from Monday to Friday.

I'm not housewife type but work person.

I know there're high % in England beleive it's women's job to stay home to look after their children and have their husbands work to earn to support family. It's old fashioned way. My Dad was like :-o when I told him that I'm STILL working since I'm mother and ask me how about the kids because they need mother around. I told him that it doesnt mean that I must give up my good job to stay as housewife/mother to watch my kids. The kids learn to accept the reason why their parents have to go work.

There're high % of Germans goes to work whom they have children.

I cant see any wrong when you want go to work or want to stay home as full time mother because it's your choice. You should follow your feeling and heart either you want to go work or full time mum.

My hubby and I share our housework and children upbringing.

But for you as single parent.
I notice alot of single parent goes to work to support his/her family life. The children understand why their parents has to go work. All what they do is make their arrangement how to watch their children while their parents goes to work.

For us no problem because our children used it to know that their parents are working people.

Fitnessfreak said:
You may not always agreed this but for some reasons, I think working as a full time mom is a reward for becoming a better mom! I dont know if yall get it?

Oh really? I had few people telling me that it makes me a bad mother that work full time thinking I am neglect my children outgrowing. Yes, I missed a lot, I have missed my first son's crawling. He learned his first crawling at a sitter's house. But, I gotta work to provide for my children because they wouldn't have a home, foods, clothes or toys if it wasn't for me working. :mrgreen:

VamPyroX said:
I understand how you feel. You need to work to support your family. Some people just don't understand that.

I agree 100 percent. ;) Some people say "poor children have to be at a sitter or daycare when the mother should be taken care of them". :roll:

Liebling:))), You are doing a super job, My boys also know that I have to work to order to support them and they understand that money doesn't fall from trees we have to earn it by working. :ily:

Cheri said:
Oh really? I had few people telling me that it makes me a bad mother that work full time thinking I am neglect my children outgrowing. Yes, I missed a lot, I have missed my first son's crawling. He learned his first crawling at a sitter's house. But, I gotta work to provide for my children because they wouldn't have a home, foods, clothes or toys if it wasn't for me working. :mrgreen:

I agree 100 percent. ;) Some people say "poor children have to be at a sitter or daycare when the mother should be taken care of them". :roll:

Liebling:))), You are doing a super job, My boys also know that I have to work to order to support them and they understand that money doesn't fall from trees we have to earn it by working. :ily:

Cheri,

I have never heard ONE word people telling me that if I work as a full time and that a mom like me will become a bad mom.. There are so many moms who are/were a stay at home becoming so depressed nowdays.. Look at the moms that murdered their own kids! Post depression that is.. Some moms just cant handle staying at home all day/night with their kids.. I saw a magazine called "parenting".. HIGH percentages said that moms who work a full time job felt it is a BIG reward for them becoming a better mom! I have to admit this and I totally agreed with this.

i work full time from 4 pm to 12 30 am. yeah i do get alot of pressure that i want to quit and stay home full time.. however i can't afford to do that i have everything i need to get money for bills, mortgage, etc etc..

there are also times i'm glad i'm at work due to my son's terrible 2 age.. when i'm at work.. there's no worries i just let the daycare do the job ;)

maybe this fall i'll change to part time so i can be full time student.. so i can get a better job for me and my family :D

Fitnessfreak said:
Cheri,

I have never heard ONE word people telling me that if I work as a full time and that a mom like me will become a bad mom.. There are so many moms who are/were a stay at home becoming so depressed nowdays.. Look at the moms that murdered their own kids! Post depression that is.. Some moms just cant handle staying at home all day/night with their kids.. I saw a magazine called "parenting".. HIGH percentages said that moms who work a full time job felt it is a BIG reward for them becoming a better mom! I have to admit this and I totally agreed with this.

Are you a single mom?

Cheri, you already know me well but I will answer here anyway :)

I work full time. I work various hours. During weeks I have my girls, I keep it limited to 7:30 to 4:30 (yes I know it is over 8 hours but gosh there are so much work to do around here!) and on weeks I do not have my girls, I work over 60 hours a week.

I drop my girls off at their school daycare at 7 AM and get to work at 7:30. After work, I pick them up from their father's house as he picks them up from school for me.

I never had any pressure to be a stay home mom - I did stay home the first five years of my girls lives and I was lucky. But I nearly went mad LOL

My mother was a working single mom so I learnt the value of work ethics from her at a very young age and I hope that my girls will learn that from me as well.

I was working full time in different hours so My kids does not get a full time babysitter.. I used to work in graveyard hours.. boy it was tough, sometime i work from 4 pm till 11 pm.. then again 11 pm till 930 am.. depend on the weeks/months I work.. at first it was 4 to 11 i couldnt work anymore due of babysitter doesn't come often anymore then I do graveyard it works out great but very exhausted and very hurtful for my back I keep get reinjuried so I end up lost a job due of back injuries.. I end up working with 3 instead of 2 plus another side of building with 4 person to give medications.. names/ places not given out that's end!

Anyway... I would be full time working if I want to.. but I had to focus on my son who needs me to provide him a transportations, and medical treatments, and all these loves/attention so He could heal better :)

Wendy

WBHarley said:
I was working full time in different hours so My kids does not get a full time babysitter.. I used to work in graveyard hours.. boy it was tough, sometime i work from 4 pm till 11 pm.. then again 11 pm till 930 am.. depend on the weeks/months I work.. at first it was 4 to 11 i couldnt work anymore due of babysitter doesn't come often anymore then I do graveyard it works out great but very exhausted and very hurtful for my back I keep get reinjuried so I end up lost a job due of back injuries.. I end up working with 3 instead of 2 plus another side of building with 4 person to give medications.. names/ places not given out that's end!

Anyway... I would be full time working if I want to.. but I had to focus on my son who needs me to provide him a transportations, and medical treatments, and all these loves/attention so He could heal better :)

Wendy

Blessed you! Your kids are blessed to have you! Your son is very lucky to have you as a wonderful mom that is willing to give lots of loves and attentions~!

Fitnessfreak said:
Blessed you! Your kids are blessed to have you! Your son is very lucky to have you as a wonderful mom that is willing to give lots of loves and attentions~!

thank you!

He recover great and finish all of his treatment on Jan 25, 2005.. now I get more free time but packing too we are moving this summer but not sure WHERE in Maine yet.. Once We settle, I plan go to college..

Wendy

Yea I am a single mom. I used to work while my son goes to school but now I got layoff last January. Still looking for a job as my son knows that I need the money to meet the ends. Hopefully I will get something soon. We could use some short vacation once I get the job. :D

Back