If you ever have a cold...

When I was in the psych hospital back in 2000 or 2001, it was time to check my blood pressure, and it read like a 74/90 (or like 70's/80's), but it didn't register the usual 80/120 like it's supposed to, and the staff tried three times to get it to read properly, and all three times it read in the 70's, and the lowest (The last one) was like a 71/85 or 71/86.... something like that, and they FREAKED OUT. They gave me quite a large glass of orange juice, and that did get my blood pressure back up into the 90's, but not near enough normal, so they gave me another glass, and then it was back to normal. After that, they put me on a watch to make sure it didn't happen again, nor did they want me to pass out, cause they said they could be held responsible if that happened.

I assume by you saying 80/120 you mean 120/80 which is actually now considered high. Normal or ideal blood pressure is said to be 115/75.

Normal blood pressure consists of a systolic number ( upper number ) below 120 and a diastolic number ( lower number ) below 80. The systolic number indicates the pressure in your arteries from your heart pumping blood. Your diastolic number indicates the pressure between heart beats that is in your arteries. 115/75 is the max of each number to be considered in the normal range, so that's what people think we look for when in reality as long as it's below those numbers and not systolic below 70 and a diastolic blood pressure no lower than 40 you're nothing to freak out over. We'd keep an eye on you, but wouldn't be flipping crap over that. A lot of people ( especially in psych wards where activity is limited ) that are inactive and rather sedentary have low blood pressure ranging in those numbers. A lot of people hospitalized have low numbers like that too. 70/40 would be the lowest acceptable blood pressure rating before we started flipping beans. Personally my blood pressure runs around a 85/70 most of the time. Yes, it's lower but it's constant and nothing my doctor has :shock: omg about. I just have to be tested once a year. ( which happens in yearly exams anyway ) Anything below a 50/35 is coma or death. So as long as you're above a 50/35 and below a 115/75 ( It used to be 120/80 years back however ideal is now said to be 115/75 ) you're fine. Yeah, it would have been lower than "average" however again, definitely wouldn't flip over those numbers.

I am going to assume you're remembering your blood pressure incorrectly as well as it is impossible to have a higher diastolic number than a systolic. Your systolic ( upper number ) is the pressure your heart is exerting while beating / pushing blood. This is the highest possible number as when you force liquid through something ( systolic ) it will always be much higher than nothing coming through ( diastolic ) when your heart is between beats. Just another *The more ya know* moment for you. :roll: Unless you can explain how a liquid being forced through something would cause less pressure than the liquid not in motion........ without imploding or dying of course. :dunno2:

I assume by you saying 80/120 you mean 120/80 which is actually now considered high. Normal or ideal blood pressure is said to be 115/75.

Normal blood pressure consists of a systolic number ( upper number ) below 120 and a diastolic number ( lower number ) below 80. The systolic number indicates the pressure in your arteries from your heart pumping blood. Your diastolic number indicates the pressure between heart beats that is in your arteries. 115/75 is the max of each number to be considered in the normal range, so that's what people think we look for when in reality as long as it's below those numbers and not systolic below 70 and a diastolic blood pressure no lower than 40 you're nothing to freak out over. We'd keep an eye on you, but wouldn't be flipping crap over that. A lot of people ( especially in psych wards where activity is limited ) that are inactive and rather sedentary have low blood pressure ranging in those numbers. A lot of people hospitalized have low numbers like that too. 70/40 would be the lowest acceptable blood pressure rating before we started flipping beans. Personally my blood pressure runs around a 85/70 most of the time. Yes, it's lower but it's constant and nothing my doctor has :shock: omg about. I just have to be tested once a year. ( which happens in yearly exams anyway ) Anything below a 50/35 is coma or death. So as long as you're above a 50/35 and below a 115/75 ( It used to be 120/80 years back however ideal is now said to be 115/75 ) you're fine. Yeah, it would have been lower than "average" however again, definitely wouldn't flip over those numbers.

I am going to assume you're remembering your blood pressure incorrectly as well as it is impossible to have a higher diastolic number than a systolic. Your systolic ( upper number ) is the pressure your heart is exerting while beating / pushing blood. This is the highest possible number as when you force liquid through something ( systolic ) it will always be much higher than nothing coming through ( diastolic ) when your heart is between beats. Just another *The more ya know* moment for you. :roll: Unless you can explain how a liquid being forced through something would cause less pressure than no liquid without imploding or dying of course. :dunno2:

Actually I had it backwards..... never could remember which number was supposed to go where, so you are correct. Now, as for freaking out, I might've gotten carried away just a little bit, but they did say it was the first time anyone had that low a blood pressure, which was why they were concerned enough to take action. Me? I wasn't feeling great that day, and I WAS weak, so that's why they said it was cause for concern.

LOL you got your work cut out for you Mew if your gonna teach him that stuff he's in over his head ... :laugh2:

My favorite expression to people that come into the ER? "Suck it up, buttercup" :laugh2: Here's an OJ, go away and play with the other patients now. :D I'm a terrible P.A. :twisted: I'll be an even funner Dr.! :twisted: :laugh2:

Last week a guy came in whining about his broken toe. ( Nothing you can do really for a broken toe, suck it up buttercup! ) Anyway, he was complaining and complaining and just going on and on and ON about his stupid TOE! I gave him a script for T3 now go away! ( I know he really wanted Oxy or something like that which is why he was complaining ) You're taking up my valuable bed GTFO and let someone in who REALLY NEEDS HELP! So he's complaining and going on about his broken toe... ( Not even that bad just BARELY broken, I say it was closer to a fracture than a break... ) ANYWAY, perfect timing... a man comes in and got all of his fingers chopped off on a saw. ( Merry Christmas indeed :( Poor guy :( ) Anyway, this dude was up and out faster than I could explain! :laugh2: Best thing ever. I'm definitely cut out for this line of work... However I hear Paramedics and Fire Fighters can be even more rude than me! I have to have "Bed side manner" to a degree... ( Not with the fakers or overly whiny attention grabbers ) I'm a very sweet person to have around as long as you're not faking and just really need help. Unfortunately we have a lot of fakers around here.... trying to get pain killers out of us... jerks... now you see why I give everyone T3's!!! You could just take regular Tylenol in a bigger dose and get the same effect as a T3... :twisted: :laugh2:

My favorite expression to people that come into the ER? "Suck it up, buttercup" :laugh2: Here's an OJ, go away and play with the other patients now. :D I'm a terrible P.A. :twisted: I'll be an even funner Dr.! :twisted: :laugh2:

Last week a guy came in whining about his broken toe. ( Nothing you can do really for a broken toe, suck it up buttercup! ) Anyway, he was complaining and complaining and just going on and on and ON about his stupid TOE! I gave him a script for T3 now go away! ( I know he really wanted Oxy or something like that which is why he was complaining ) You're taking up my valuable bed GTFO and let someone in who REALLY NEEDS HELP! So he's complaining and going on about his broken toe... ( Not even that bad just BARELY broken, I say it was closer to a fracture than a break... ) ANYWAY, perfect timing... a man comes in and got all of his fingers chopped off on a saw. ( Merry Christmas indeed :( Poor guy :( ) Anyway, this dude was up and out faster than I could explain! :laugh2: Best thing ever. I'm definitely cut out for this line of work... However I hear Paramedics and Fire Fighters can be even more rude than me! I have to have "Bed side manner" to a degree... ( Not with the fakers or overly whiny attention grabbers ) I'm a very sweet person to have around as long as you're not faking and just really need help. Unfortunately we have a lot of fakers around here.... trying to get pain killers out of us... jerks... now you see why I give everyone T3's!!! You could just take regular Tylenol in a bigger dose and get the same effect as a T3... :twisted: :laugh2:

If I have aches and pains, I take ONE Extra Strength Tylenol (It's 500 mg-- 1,000 is too strong for me) and I take it easy, and I'll be all right. No need to keep rushing to the hospital and incurring bills for whatever reason.

All new nurses and doctors always think im faking my sicknesses or whatever has driven me to hospital. One rven refered me once to a psychologist to see if i had munchausen syndrome. They stary by been all mean to me but when they reaize im not faking anything...well they treat me nice. Idk if nice, some of them i feel just feel pity for me.

I'm not mean to someone who I could even THINK be faking. Unless I'm certain, I'm extremely pleasant. Trying to get me to change your script from a T3 to a Oxy is telling me they need me to be a raging bi**h and they need to GTFO! I've had a broken toe a few times. Sure it's uncomfortable but it's nothing you're DYING in pain over! I think having a toe nail ripped off is a hell of a lot more painful personally.... :ugh: Still no need for an Oxy script or to whine about it in a major triage center when there's people WAY worse than you! This was a 6'2 325 pound man whining over a broken toe!!! I just had a guy in a few days ago from Bulgaria. Toughest man I've ever seen. Broke his leg, bone sticking out... :ugh: Says, ( In heavy accent ) "Just put bandage on it, I have to get back to work." LMAO! I was like man, you are a tough mother fu***r!!!

However I hear Paramedics and Fire Fighters can be even more rude than me!

Thank you, thank you very much :D

Don't forget the golden hour ;) Sometimes there's no time for bedside manner ;) I'm going to remember that "Suck it up, buttercup!!" I like that one! :D

All new nurses and doctors always think im faking my sicknesses or whatever has driven me to hospital. One rven refered me once to a psychologist to see if i had munchausen syndrome. They stary by been all mean to me but when they reaize im not faking anything...well they treat me nice. Idk if nice, some of them i feel just feel pity for me.

The newbies I hear are a little awkward at recognizing serious illnesses (of course, I could be entirely wrong here), and at first they MIGHT write it off until later they find out it was for real. I read a story somewhere that a man had a burst colon, and one hospital wrote it off as a stomachache, and that man's family rushed him to another hospital a few hours later, where he died. The hospital that wrote off the man's life-threatening injury got sued BIG TIME, and I believe they settled out of court; not too sure, as I lost track of the story.

Lol. My sister had brokwn her toes like 10 times with no exaggeration. At most she takes an ibroprufen and thats about it. And heck yeah...ripped nails..thays a big ouch.

Sadly it happens more than you know. We're human, we all make mistakes. That's why when people complain about tests... You know, do you want me to make sure it's not something hidden or do you want to just complain and suffer until something happens!? DEAL WITH THE TESTS! That's also why malpractice insurance exists... Sadly. :(

Lol. My sister had brokwn her toes like 10 times with no exaggeration. At most she takes an ibroprufen and thats about it. And heck yeah...ripped nails..thays a big ouch.

I once before slammed a metal hook lock directly onto my finger..... did a lot of damage-- a hole in my finger and a shattered middle finger bone. After putting the cast on, it looked like I was flipping off the whole world with not a care in the world, and that got the cops' attention, and I showed them the proof, and they called it in and filed a report to let other officers know I had a broken finger-- the flipping bird finger.... wow. Anyways, the damage took a while to recover from, given how bad it was.

Ouch. And oich. I have only broekn my ankle. Ive had other injuries and whatever but ouch that sounds painful.

Sadly it happens more than you know. We're human, we all make mistakes. That's why when people complain about tests... You know, do you want me to make sure it's not something hidden or do you want to just complain and suffer until something happens!? DEAL WITH THE TESTS! That's also why malpractice insurance exists... Sadly. :(

I've often wondered about that..... the person who made the mistake... do they get fired or just a suspended license? I'm just being curious. I always wondered how that part works. Hmm......

Ouch. And oich. I have only broekn my ankle. Ive had other injuries and whatever but ouch that sounds painful.

Oh, it was. Despite the amount of pain I was in, I still managed to let out a few CHOICE words for doing that, then went to get medical attention.

At the sight of blood i get paralized. I just cant handle it. Less of therr is bones stocking out or guts outisde the body

At the sight of blood i get paralized. I just cant handle it. Less of therr is bones stocking out or guts outisde the body

Then this might scare you $#!tless. In May 2007, I had an idiotic friend who one day decided to throw the sharpest rock he could find, and he hit my leg. Well, as it turned out, he hit an artery, and the blood started to pour out not even an hour after he hit my leg, and it took about 10 minutes to stop the bleeding, by which there was a pool of blood on the floor, and that day I nearly lost my life, but I'm still here, and even though I'd like to get him back for it, I full well know I can't.

Well you are fine now. Thats all that matters. *hug*

Aw, thanks. Much appreciated. Could've used one of those back then. Ah, well. I AM okay, but he forever changed my style of walking-- I used to have a strut, but now I walk like a duck-- duck-footed.

Back