If computers didn't exist...

that's for sure that i would have been into totally freak bookworm if we don't have the computer in these day.... or probaly take too much on the token to smoke it up !! lol

oakbluffs said:
There would be more deaf socials! I remember the days before the Internet when NYC had a TONS of deaf events with many people. It was very lively! Nowaday fewer people are attending social functions because they're already catching up with their friends via emails, IM and pagers.

Ah, those were good ol' days!

and VPs too!! in case you forgot!! :D

I probally wouldn't know any Deaf people. Because of the internet, I wouldn't have met my Ex.

I would probally be working on model trains more if there was no comptuers.

i will end up collecting tooooo many dvd movies.. my shelves will be full of house.. travel everywhere every town in all state.

clean clean clean.. save save save money for my kid's future...

CoolieFroggie said:
i will end up collecting tooooo many dvd movies.. my shelves will be full of house.. travel everywhere every town in all state.

That's impossible.

Why?

You need a computer to... well... put the movies onto DVDs. :)

Banjo said:
That's impossible.

Why?

You need a computer to... well... put the movies onto DVDs. :)
I bet many of those movies would not have been made if there were no computers. Many recent movies depend on computer generated images.

Reba said:
I bet many of those movies would not have been made if there were no computers. Many recent movies depend on computer generated images.

Yup, that's largely true. However, computers weren't commonly used till in very early 90s. Before that, only a few movies had used the technology to create the special effects. :)

We wouldn't had received great movies like Toy Story, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles if it wasn't for the computers.

The Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park were largely responsible for accelerating the digital movement in Hollywood. There were earlier movies that had used the digital technology, but didn't make a big influence on Hollywood. In fact, Jurassic Park was originally going to use stop-motion animation instead of CGI.

Suppose no computer technology....

No space travel.

No hand-held calculators.

No computerized cash registers at stores and restaurants.

No debit and credit card scanners at stores and gas stations.

No bar codes to speed up check out lines at stores, for tracking UPS packages, for keeping inventories, etc.

No digital hearing aids, CIs, cameras, video cams, dish TV, watches, phones, clocks, radios, fax machines, PDAs, etc.

I guess I would still be using my old manual or electric (not electronic) typewriter, watching my TV with rabbit ears or roof-top antenna, calling on my rotary dial corded phone, and doing my math with a paper and pencil.

I would probably spend more time at the library doing research. I would play more board games with the family, and maybe go back to my drawing. I would like to have a darkroom for photography.

No more shopping on line.

No MRIs, or many other computer dependent medical technologies.

No alternative news sources on the web.

No global positioning; no advanced weather prediction equipment.

Many people would need to look for new jobs.

Man, how did we even manage to live without computers?

LOL

Reba said:
That's OK. My favorite special effects man is Ray Harryhausen. He was an artist. :)

http://lavender.fortunecity.com/judidench/584/

Ray Harryhausen?

He was not just good... he was fantastic! Clash of the Titans is one of my favourite works of Ray's. In fact, a Ray Harryhausen collection boxset just came out.

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Monster Series

Jason and the Argonauts
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
The 3 Worlds of Gulliver

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_8/103-2932469-4419866?v=glance&s=dvd

Banjo said:
Ray Harryhausen?

He was not just good... he was fantastic! Clash of the Titans is one of my favourite works of Ray's. In fact, a Ray Harryhausen collection boxset just came out.

The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Monster Series
Thanks for the link. I see that The Fantastic Films of Ray Harryhausen - Legendary Science Fiction Series (It Came from Beneath the Sea / Earth vs. the Flying Saucers / 20 Million Miles to Earth / Mysterious Island / H.G. Wells' First Men in the Moon) DVD is offered, too. My birthday is in a few months, so I am putting the two sets on my wish list. :popcorn:

I want this book too:
http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?id=3048942063638&isbn=0823084027

If there are no computers, I will curl up with my Harryhausen book. :)

:| :|
Katzie said:
Life without computers :Ohno:

Probably stayin' skinny!

same here! grrr

hey how are u feeling?? havent seen you in here lately!! :|

CoolieFroggie said:

Wait a minute... how would you get DVDs? Computers are needed to make DVDs. You'd probably be stuck with those old fashioned movie reels. :eek:

The ideas from Star Trek, Star Wars and all the other futuristic sci-fi shows would seem ... strange, outta world, not attainable.

DreamDeaf said:
The ideas from Star Trek, Star Wars and all the other futuristic sci-fi shows would seem ... strange, outta world, not attainable.
Without computers, Star Trek, Star Wars, and many other sci-fi movies would not have been made. Even the original low-tech TV series of Star Trek used a computer, so....

Back