Ice Fisherman Rescued on Lake Erie

tekkmortal

Reaction score
Ice Fisherman Rescued on Lake Erie

OAK HARBOR, Ohio (AP) - About 30 ice fishermen on Lake Erie were stranded Friday on a huge chunk of ice that broke away and drifted a half-mile away from the shore.

By early afternoon, rescue crews using boats and a helicopter had brought nearly all the anglers back to shore. They also rescued a dog with one of the fishermen.

No injuries were reported. One person who fell in the water was rescued by other fishermen, the Coast Guard said.

Most of the anglers were forced to leave their all-terrain vehicles, fishing shanties and the rest of their gear behind on the ice.

The ice, about eight inches thick, broke away about 10 miles east of Toledo after the wind started picking up.

:Ohno: That would be scary for me to be stranded on floating ice.

Interesting.
I am puzzled, though, about one thing. The ice was eight inches thick, had "all-terrain vehicles and shanties" on it, and it broke because of "the wind picking up???" Huh? Can someone explain this strange bit of physics to me?

Wow that was creepy... I'll be scare shitless. :mrgreen:

ice is very strong.

2 inches of ice can hold you up carefully
3 inches you can run around or go ice skating on the ice and do whatever and it wont break at all.
8 inches is VERY THICK for ice.

Back