I Use CC All the Time

HDTV had ruined CC because it only support digital. Watching them in HD only provide subtitles, not CC. In other words CC is better than subtitles. Still you can watch CC as long as it's not in HD using HDMI.

HDTV had ruined CC because it only support digital. Watching them in HD only provide subtitles, not CC. In other words CC is better than subtitles. Still you can watch CC as long as it's not in HD using HDMI.

I watch subtitles through HDMI cable via my new HD tuner I bought about 3 months ago. It is good, better than analog, to be honest.

Closed-Captioning has been proven to boost your reading comprehension.

Is this statement true of foreign languages? In other words, could I use shows subtitled in other languages to learn another language?

I watch TV on mute with CC. I love it.

Is this statement true of foreign languages? In other words, could I use shows subtitled in other languages to learn another language?

Calling the TV 'Deaf TV' bahahaha

Closed-Captioning has been proven to boost your reading comprehension.

Yes this statement is true, I have had and was bad with grammer until CC showed me the world what CC can do. Reading books also improve reading comprehension.

I also love CC. Cute story about CC. I require that my children read 30 minutes a day. My son quickly replied "Mom, turn off the volume and I will read the TV for thirty minutes. Will that count?"
Had to laugh. To this day CC is on the TV, family doesn't enjoy TV without it.

*Chuckles* Very cute Monkey. Kids say some of the best stuff ever, partically because you know they mean it most of the time.

I cannot help but noticed that VH-1 doesn't appears to have closed caption anymore on that channel, is anyone aware of this also?

I remember when I went to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix, I only had one hearing aid because I had swimmer's ear and I couldn't understand any of the dialogue because I already have difficulty interpreting other accents and I probably would have only heard half of what they were saying even with two hearing aids. :P

@ Jolie: I have wondered about the educational value of close captioning, but I never knew that it could make such a difference. If I ever have children, I might just have to leave the captioning on even if I'm not watching TV. :P

Yeah, It does make a difference. :)

I have always left the captioning on AT ALL times on the TV, even if I'm not watching it. My mother does the same thing too. Even if I'm not at her house, She always leaves the captioning on. She said she finds it easier to read the captioning because sometime (according to her) when someone talks too fast on the TV, she would not be able to hear all of these spoken words. So, Captioning helps.

That's a good question.

I have no idea if it will help with the foreign languages that are shown on subtitles but I believe it could help. It doesn't hurt to try.

Yes this statement is true, I have had and was bad with grammer until CC showed me the world what CC can do. Reading books also improve reading comprehension.

You're right. Reading books helps with reading comprehension. With captioning - There are times that I've came across some vocabularies that I had no idea what it meant. So, Whenever I see a word that I don't know what it is for - I'd memorize it and then look it up on the dictionary to understand the meaning of that word.

I use CC all the time now, otherwise I would have to blast the speakers to understand anything.

It's funny that you have some of the same experiences as me. I am a hearing CODA that grew up in the 80's. When my parents got CC, they turned off the sound on the t.v. to force me to read (I hated reading). I never complained. Now that I am an adult, I can't watch t.v. without CC! I have been married 14 years (today) and now my husband (hearing) is the same way. We depend on the CC to "hear" the t.v. I love it!

I also work in a school and I encourage all teachers to use CC because it is a proven fact that it helps improve reading skills, is good for ESL learners, and makes t.v. and movies accessible to our DHH students.

I also love CC. Cute story about CC. I require that my children read 30 minutes a day. My son quickly replied "Mom, turn off the volume and I will read the TV for thirty minutes. Will that count?"
Had to laugh. To this day CC is on the TV, family doesn't enjoy TV without it.
That's actually a good idea!

I have my cc on all the time whether I am watching the tv or not. Everyone else in my family can hear fine but they are so used to captions being on it does not bother them at all. If I go to my moms or sisters house they will turn the captions on for me without my asking. The only time I do not like the captions on is when I am watching NFL football. I could care less what all the anouncers are talking about and the captions scroll at the top of the screen blocking my view of the game. LOL

Back