I Refuse

And how have the ASL classes been for you? Do you feel comfortable with the language?

Hope I'm not intruding :).

Interpreters do come in handy. :)

The first time I ever "heard" my father expressed that he loves me was through a sign language interpreter. It was priceless.

I would agree. C.A.R.T. or related is hard to get and more expensive.

And how have the ASL classes been for you? Do you feel comfortable with the language?

Hope I'm not intruding :).

It's been pretty fun actually. My classmates either have a family member/child who is deaf or they want to be interpreters. I seem to pick up on ASL pretty easily. I wouldn't say I'm "comfortable" yet but this is due to a limited vocabulary. I definitely felt comfy enough to go to a deaf social. Most classmates did not show up. Scaredy cats.....

Nah, you're not intruding. :)

Good for you! :D Keep going to those socials- it's really crucial for language learning.

According to my calculations, Jiro just had his first ASL class....

*shivers in anticipation*

I dunno, I tend to procrastinate. I relate to the isolation stated in this thread. Hearing people dont realize how much we deaf people miss.

Its like being ignored. And we all know how pissed off hearing people get when they think we are ignoring them, when we just didnt hear them.

It isn't fair that I can speak and have people understand me but they can't sign to make themselves understood to me. However, I understand that the majority of people on this planet can hear and speak, and I can't expect the world to change to accommodate my deafness. I'm talking about people we encounter at work, at the grocery store, etc. These people can communicate by writing down what we don't understand. Some may do so with an attitude of "oh god, this is such a pain in the ass". But I encounter such attitudes rarely now-used to be everyone thought I was a pain in the ass, but time and better education has helped a lot.

I've been in the same boat regarding family get-togethers. I used to excuse myself to play with the nieces and nephews when they were little, and later on I'd ask my mom what they all talked about. Yes, I felt excluded, and they didn't realize they were excluding me. Once in a while someone would make an effort to keep me up to speed on what was being discussed, but I felt like I was putting a damper on the festivities.

One time, I started reading a book in another room while everyone chatted. I found that no one missed me, I didn't miss them, and I had my supper, so I was reasonably content.

My point is, either you find ways to cope, to adjust, or you can just associate solely with people you feel most comfortable with in social settings. We all have choices, and I respect others' choices about how they want to live their lives.

Just out of curiosity, have any of you thought about forming a group to help parents of deaf children to let them know the isolation of not having a family that signs? I find it frustration that deaf adults bitch about such things, but do nothing to help others.

I dunno, I tend to procrastinate. I relate to the isolation stated in this thread. Hearing people dont realize how much we deaf people miss.

Its like being ignored. And we all know how pissed off hearing people get when they think we are ignoring them, when we just didnt hear them.

The fact is that many hearing people and audists keep forgetting that we can not hear even with the hearing aid or CI. This is the whole problem with the hearing people who expect us to hear meaning to listen with the help of hearing aids and CI to understand the hearing people. They refuse to sign for us. So we should refuse to talk or speak to the hearing people. What's fair is fair which mean we are even. We are tire of having the hearing people put us down with oralism method with no ASL. :roll:

Just out of curiosity, have any of you thought about forming a group to help parents of deaf children to let them know the isolation of not having a family that signs? I find it frustration that deaf adults bitch about such things, but do nothing to help others.

We tried that with hearing parents of deaf children on this AD forum. Some of the parents with deaf children are very stubborn and still believe that deaf children who have CI can hear and listen. Maybe some deaf children can but most of them don't and it is just going to get worse every time they tried to find ways to cure or fix us to be able to hear and listen. With the CI and hearing aids we can hear but we just still can not pick up the words that the hearing people are saying, especially in the mainstream school with no ASL. This is making it harder for us to understand what is going on in the classroom or elsewhere and also make us lonelier with no understanding what is being said. So I don't know about a group to help the parents of deaf children to let them know we are feeling lonely in a hearing classroom or not be able to sign ASL ever. Maybe it might help and maybe not. That is the question that the hearing parents have to decide to make their child speak or go with ASL. It is just not fair. :hmm:

Always whining! Raised a Deaf daughter and required the family to LEARN sign language, and if she was present it was to be used. Volunteered at the DSC.....saw very few deaf there.....attended a deaf church.....though it was not of our faith. One thing I have found has stayed the same all these years.....deaf adults whine and play the part of advocate....if it suits their needs not the needs of the whole.

Always whining! Raised a Deaf daughter and required the family to LEARN sign language, and if she was present it was to be used. Volunteered at the DSC.....saw very few deaf there.....attended a deaf church.....though it was not of our faith. One thing I have found has stayed the same all these years.....deaf adults whine and play the part of advocate....if it suits their needs not the needs of the whole.

Hey there, I can see you are going to come in first in the popularity contest this month!:wave:

Hey there, I can see you are going to come in first in the popularity contest this month!:wave:

It look like we are going to have another heated or hot topic on this one. They just don't understand our situation as we have tried to explain to them over and over. So here goes.....

It look like we are going to have another heated or hot topic on this one. They just don't understand our situation as we have tried to explain to them over and over. So here goes.....

I think you may be right.:shock:

Generalizing that ALL deaf people are passive, rather than proactive, just isn't cool nor fair.

I personaly know a good number of d/hh people who are proactive in helping and empowering others...

Back