I got back from the audiologist i got good news and bad news

That's great!!!

Good luck on it! ;)

Best of luck, RavenSteve on CI on one ear. The technology always improves every year so right now they operate on ur deafest ear then in the future when CI technology improves, can add that to your good ear. I think it's alll positive. smile When is the surgery?

Right now i have to see my doctor again on jan 10. And the audiologist said it has nothing to with nerves in your hearing. Its how the brain reacts to the sound. Do you guys agree? Another thing she told me. I ask her how come deaf people enjoy being deaf. She told me for those were born deaf might not take the risk of hearing because they dont know what theyre really missing.

Hmm thats interesting.

In my right ear, the nerve that leads from the ear to the brain is damaged - it was probably not developed probably when I was still living in my Mummy's tummy. My audiologst said the cochlea in the left ear is damaged as well - meaning no little hairs there.

In my left ear, it's the cochlea that is damaged... well, more like there's only like 10% of little hairs in the cochlea that remains. The nerve works perfectly - meaning I can hear a fair bit - only high and loud sounds.

My audiologist said my ears has been like that way since I was born. He said it's possible that it's genetic OR just a messing gene or something.

ravensteve1961 said:
She told me for those were born deaf might not take the risk of hearing because they dont know what theyre really missing.

Typical audist ignorance :roll: Don’t get me wrong—I’m not a militant. But it still strikes me as a pretty unsophisticated view of cultural deafness. I’ll bet she refuses to use the word ‘deaf’ and always uses the term ‘hearing impaired’—right?

Well, anyway, glad you finally took the plunge. Hope it works out well for you.

She doesnt like to use the word deaf. Temporary impaired,,Cause she feels yall can hear someday if you want to.

I wouldn't have her as my audiologist.

I prefer to have an audiologist who has experience with the Deaf community and has worked with lots of Deaf people.

A lot of people I know use the term hearing impaired and are deaf themselves because they feel that being labelled deaf means they can't do anything. Also, it is true in some cases, some deaf people don't want to hear because they don't know what they're missing out on, but what they fail to realise is that most people simply don't care. They're happy the way they are.

shezzbeav said:
I wouldn't have her as my audiologist.

I prefer to have an audiologist who has experience with the Deaf community and has worked with lots of Deaf people.

She has a lot of patents who were deaf but got the CI inplanted and most are successful. She asked for my e-mail adress and one of her patients were totaly deaf. And when the CI was implanted he heard sound. He was totaly deaf for two years and when the CI was implanted he suddenly heard sound! So i like my chances with her.

raven

me and my son has two ci we are very happy but not normal but has broaden our sounds, my son says things he heard on tv and i can some becuz i got it late, i went from 63 dicemils now iam at 28 normal is 25, so good luck with the ci.but i believe my son will be reaalll close to normal if he started young with lots of practic and its like playing a giutar it takes yrs to be good same way with child.

be sure that its CI.. not barcode chip implant..

so the agents can track you down..

:giggle: sorry eh.. its joke.

Congrats.. but i wont say more cuz i am not into CI stuff..

:D

Hehe. Congratulations, but remember, for the CI to be successful, you have to be realistic about your expectations. Don't expect too much or you may be disappointed.

RSteve, I think the most important thing you need to know going on this journey is that, the mere sticking you with an implant is only the very very beginning. Sure you will hear on your turn-on date but you won't DISCERN what you are hearing for quite some time. It is a long, long road to comprehension of the spoken language compared to merely hearing sounds, per se. There's a lot I am NOT telling you here; things like the programming (in stages) of your implant, called mappings, etc, etc cuz I am not an expert. Be disciplined and consistent in your training.....takes longer for some than others...some require a good 5 years, others less so be patient........this is only the beginning so best to ya, man!

ravensteve1961 said:
Right now i have to see my doctor again on jan 10. And the audiologist said it has nothing to with nerves in your hearing. Its how the brain reacts to the sound. Do you guys agree? Another thing she told me. I ask her how come deaf people enjoy being deaf. She told me for those were born deaf might not take the risk of hearing because they dont know what theyre really missing.
i kinda have to disagree with this... my audiologist told me in order to be a candiate to get CI u must have your audioary nerves to be active not DEAD.

So no one told you life was gonna be this way cuz your job's a joke, you're a joke. Your love life's D.O.A. It's like you're always stuck in second gear when it hasn't been your day, your week,your month,or even your year but we'll be there for you so don't whine and assume over many things... I wish you the best of luck and now you have something looking forward to in 2005!

DeafSCUBA98 said:
i kinda have to disagree with this... my audiologist told me in order to be a candiate to get CI u must have your audioary nerves to be active not DEAD.
maybe his audiologist is 1/2 dead...

Congratulations Rave! You started the year off on good foot. Now try not to put your expectations too high. The sound that comes from the implant is artificial so don't think this device will make you hearing. You are Still deaf, CI or not. But try to stick to positive side ok. Again, Congrats!

Ravensteve, I would get another opinon as to which ear should be implanted. I KNOW usually the worst ear is implanted, but you said that you never heard normally in that ear. You might get some speech comprehension in your worst ear, but from what I understand in cases like yours they like to do the ear that you heard from well previously.

deafdyke said:
Ravensteve, I would get another opinon as to which ear should be implanted. I KNOW usually the worst ear is implanted, but you said that you never heard normally in that ear. You might get some speech comprehension in your worst ear, but from what I understand in cases like yours they like to do the ear that you heard from well previously.
i second that.. its best find different audiologist who's Professional and had a certificate for CI.. usually those audiologist are good under hosiptals.. also get another option from the surgeon... the surgeon have better explaining which ear is best and why...

Back