I finally did it... Now, I have questions LOL

Actually I was just looking again and they dont appear to offer the playgroups now-- infact I find nothing about preschool age on the site--

I hadn't looked in a while since we were staying at his school for the time being--

I would just send them an email and ask what services they have available. Also ask your EI person, they might know.

I have decided to take Adam out of his Oral Only school and go the ASL route... (and after he's got a grasp on ASL we'll go Bi-Bi when he starts learning written language)

I'm positive I'll get flack from some of the Audist's here but this is what's BEST for MY child-- who has more issues than just his hearing-- and visual learning is what works best for my little monkey-- it took me 2 years to come to this decision and let me say I feel a certain peace about it!! So I will not defend my decision or argue about it...

With that said I'm very excited about this... and I'm trying to find the best route for ME to take to learn... I realllly suck at learning sign from a book-- or still picture/diagram... I need to see it happening so I know I'm getting it right-- (and not telling someone off totally unintentionally! LOL) I've looked over some of the videos available online (found suggestions here etc) but I'm curious is there a DVD series that maybe some of you have used??? I'm going to go to the Library this weekend and see what I can find there and hopefully get enrolled in the ASL classes at the Community college here- even if just to audit the classes to learn... But thought I'd start NOW w/what resources I could find...

I'm sure I'll be on here w/a few "What's this" or "how do I sign that" questions... please just be patient :):)

THANK YOU all for the input and help-- and support I get here!! :ty::ty:

Good for you! I know that you considered the decision from all sides.

Here is what worked for me and my son: I found the League for the Deaf and HOH in the town next to where we were living, marched in and announced to any who were there that I was the hearing mom of a deaf baby, and I needed to know what it was like to be a deaf child, and they were the ones who could tell me. Said I knew very little sign, but needed to learn if they were willing to help. I exposed my son to that environment every chance I got, and he actually learned ASL quicker than I did, LOL. And everyone was always very, very helpful and gracious.

Actually I was just looking again and they dont appear to offer the playgroups now-- infact I find nothing about preschool age on the site--

I hadn't looked in a while since we were staying at his school for the time being--

I doubt that you will be able to get EI to transport, expecially for playgroups.

I doubt that you will be able to get EI to transport, expecially for playgroups.

yeah most of the EI here is actually home based anyhow-- or in Adam's case they will go to his dayschool setting... so I didn't think they'd do it-- especially not across county lines...

yeah most of the EI here is actually home based anyhow-- or in Adam's case they will go to his dayschool setting... so I didn't think they'd do it-- especially not across county lines...

Yep. It's hard enough to get 2 systems to cooperate and transport across county lines when the kid is in grammar school and they are obligated under law to do it. The county you are in has to transport to the county line, and then the county the child is attending the program in has to pick them up and transport the rest of the way. Either that, or private transportation has to be arranged at an astronomical cost.

Good for you! I know that you considered the decision from all sides.

Here is what worked for me and my son: I found the League for the Deaf and HOH in the town next to where we were living, marched in and announced to any who were there that I was the hearing mom of a deaf baby, and I needed to know what it was like to be a deaf child, and they were the ones who could tell me. Said I knew very little sign, but needed to learn if they were willing to help. I exposed my son to that environment every chance I got, and he actually learned ASL quicker than I did, LOL. And everyone was always very, very helpful and gracious.

Thank you ma'am! Yep you know I've deliberated this for over a year and finally feel at peace about it!! (granted some outside circumstances helped w/that ;) :lol: )

League for the Deaf and HOH huh?? I'll look into that- looks like Nashville has one but not here?? :( :( But of course I like your approach... I'm definitely learning to be more assertive :) :)

You know I'm POSITIVE Adam will have ASL down long before mom will! LOL

From what i've heard he WILL learn faster than you! You are lucky that you are in contact with so many people here who do sign a bit.. which means there are many people to help you learn the basics. As you get better you will have less and less people who know more than you, but by that time u should have developed relationships with deaf people. If they still offer the playgroups, ask if there is anyone from your area who is attending. Maybe you could carpool so that you don't have to take as much time off work?
When you are all set up with Skype or whatever video mode you like, just post a message asking people to PM you their contact info if they are willing to help you learn. I'm sure you will find plenty! [Speaking of that... thats a good idea for myself! I will do that when i get back from this weekend!]
*EQL*

Congratulation on making the decision to find a Deaf school or ASL route. :rockon: You seem to make good progress on getting some wonderful ideas from our ADers. I am just like Shel90, not sure if I have any good ideas on what the ADers had already mentioned. But that is good enough right there and you will get all the help on getting your son, Adam, into the ASL route. Good luck! :thumb:

Congrats! Sooo excited for you and proud of you! Its true now that he will be so exposed daily and you really want to learn it will start being easier to remember. Community college is a good place to be if you can afford it. I couldn't but took some classes through my local Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing as well as the Hearing and Speech center. Because my niece and nephew have moderate hearing loss they qualified for sign classes with their mom through the audiologist and insurance paid for it! Look into Deaf coffee nights in your area they are typically a monthly thing. If you have an Iphone the iasl app is awesome. Of course you have he links to aslpro and lifeprint. Don't stress over it too much, you are already an amazing mom and your dedication will lead you in the right direction :)

Catching up with posts on here, just came across this. Wow this is a big decision and well done on deciding this for Adam. I think he would do GREAT with this and ASL would probably give him more access to language a lot quicker!! You do have a lot of people on here providing you with advice and help!! I cannot be much help since I am from the UK!! Keep it up and I'm excited for you and Adam!!

Catching up with posts on here, just came across this. Wow this is a big decision and well done on deciding this for Adam. I think he would do GREAT with this and ASL would probably give him more access to language a lot quicker!! You do have a lot of people on here providing you with advice and help!! I cannot be much help since I am from the UK!! Keep it up and I'm excited for you and Adam!!

Lissa your support is a great help... and knowing how much u adore Adam ;) that's the biggest help of all!!

Congrats! Sooo excited for you and proud of you! Its true now that he will be so exposed daily and you really want to learn it will start being easier to remember. Community college is a good place to be if you can afford it. I couldn't but took some classes through my local Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing as well as the Hearing and Speech center. Because my niece and nephew have moderate hearing loss they qualified for sign classes with their mom through the audiologist and insurance paid for it! Look into Deaf coffee nights in your area they are typically a monthly thing. If you have an Iphone the iasl app is awesome. Of course you have he links to aslpro and lifeprint. Don't stress over it too much, you are already an amazing mom and your dedication will lead you in the right direction :)

Marcy, thank you!! Luckily my job will pay for 2 classes a semester but I'm too late to get in on that this sem :( but I hope to get into the CC ASL classes next sem if they offer the beginner class in the spring.

(Off topic looking @ your sig, my brother has CAPD... is that the same processing disorder you deal with?)

Lissa your support is a great help... and knowing how much u adore Adam ;) that's the biggest help of all!!

Yep I adore Adam and you!! You both are great friends!!
Let us know how Adam gets on with the new situation!!

Congratulation on making the decision to find a Deaf school or ASL route. :rockon: You seem to make good progress on getting some wonderful ideas from our ADers. I am just like Shel90, not sure if I have any good ideas on what the ADers had already mentioned. But that is good enough right there and you will get all the help on getting your son, Adam, into the ASL route. Good luck! :thumb:

Thanks Bebonang!! The ADers are AWESOME!! Great ideas and wonderful support!!

From what i've heard he WILL learn faster than you! You are lucky that you are in contact with so many people here who do sign a bit.. which means there are many people to help you learn the basics. As you get better you will have less and less people who know more than you, but by that time u should have developed relationships with deaf people. If they still offer the playgroups, ask if there is anyone from your area who is attending. Maybe you could carpool so that you don't have to take as much time off work?
When you are all set up with Skype or whatever video mode you like, just post a message asking people to PM you their contact info if they are willing to help you learn. I'm sure you will find plenty! [Speaking of that... thats a good idea for myself! I will do that when i get back from this weekend!]
*EQL*

EQL, I've got to figure the skype thing out soon!! Lol I've never used it! So many new thing to learn lol

wow, this thread is overwhelming already for me... the only thing? we're opposite, I'm deaf and my child is hearing. CODA. so I'll read it all if ever have a deaf child lol. :dizzy: but I want to applause on the decision you made for adam, I'm been forever grateful MY MOTHER made the same decision, what's best for me and yes, I came back home from SEE to ASL just in a couple weeks when I went to a deaf school and she was like, WHAT?? lol. hats off to you!

oh yeah and I have to say, your boy is sooo adorable!! so lucky to have you! and you him too. :)

Thank you ma'am! Yep you know I've deliberated this for over a year and finally feel at peace about it!! (granted some outside circumstances helped w/that ;) :lol: )

League for the Deaf and HOH huh?? I'll look into that- looks like Nashville has one but not here?? :( :( But of course I like your approach... I'm definitely learning to be more assertive :) :)

You know I'm POSITIVE Adam will have ASL down long before mom will! LOL

Nashville is exactly where we went, LOL. We were living in TN at the time he was diagnosed.

It may be listed under different names, but most larger towns will have some sort of agency that serves the deaf.

And I agree. My son's vocab progressed faster than mine. Just the exposure, and he took off! You could just see his eyes light up like "Hey, I know what this is about! Communication I can understand!" I'm sure you will have the same wonderful experience with Adam.

Back