I finally did it... Now, I have questions LOL

There are a bunch of us on here who use Skype. If you would feel comfortable about the idea, you could practice your signing with us on Skype. Just an idea :)

AlleyCat-- THANK YOU!!!

Ok so I was totally emotional yesterday about making the decision to change paths and today I'm just as emotional b/c you guys have all shown such support!!! (gonna go cry for a minute now-- but not in a bad way!!) :ty::ty:

I'll be around if you want to practice. I have P3 and skype.

Hey and best of luck with your new journey. I wish I knew someone from Kentucky. Everyone had great ideas...Do you live near a big city in Kentucky? Sometimes there are deaf happy hours in which you can go and interact with Deaf people.

Try this..

Kentucky Association of the Deaf

I also have P3 and Skype. Not to mention, Google Talk, MSN messenger with video chat and Yahoo messenger with video chat.

One HUGE advantage that you have is that you REALLY REALLY WANT to learn ASL ... that will help you retain things (because it's not a "chore being forced on you")

Keep a positive attitude, remember that it's OK to get frustrated and forget the occasional sign.

Sign as much as you can, surround yourselves with ASL (or any signing actually) as much as you can. And be gentle with yourself along the road!!

Post questions as you have them ... if you want you're welcome to PM me here (I'm sure others will offer as well) about questions, signs etc.

I have to admit that as someone who SUCCESSFULLY was an "Oral child" (but who desperately wanted to learn and use ASL as well!!), I'm SOO excited for Adam.

The more ways Adam can interact with the world (hearing & deaf) the better he will be.

I value my speech skills & speech-reading skills, as well as being able to read & write English comfortably- but I value my abilty to communicate EASILY in ASL just as much if not more sometimes.
In ASL I can just "be". I can "chat" with a group, communicate in a noisy place etc. I don't have to exhaust myself focusing 120% just to communicate. My ability to speak and listen is helpful - but ASL "fits" me personally better.

Regarding speech & speechreading, keep in mind that my hearing loss is: profound right (+120db), but only mild/mod left so I "technically" have access to quite a bit of speech especially with HA - however I also have mild APD (auditory processing disorder) which impacts my ability to make sense of what I DO hear.

Best wishes on this exciting new journey !

THANK YOU!!!
WOW your state seems to really have a lot available for you-- I'm sure we've got things like that and his DI/ED will be able to help me find those types of resources since previously I didn't 'want to rock the boat' and never went beyond his dayschool. Does that make sense?? I appreciate the list, it'll give me something to go on while learning!!!

It's true, we're really lucky to have such great resources! And I think you'll find them too now that you are focused on this new path. But honestly, it's been such a great adventure -- it really is so much fun both teaching the things I know and also learning right alongside my little one.

order VP like Sorenson. it's free.

or download VP software (you'll need webcam) ConvoRelay (mac only), Purple P3, etc. Feel free to VP with any of us to practice ASL :cool2:

Thank you Jiro!! I really appreciate your help!

High five!!!!!! At least you're only 45 mintues from the Deaf School. Many dhh Deaf kids have kinda long bus rides...even some hearing children have longer bus rides! I would be very proactive about seeing what's out there for ASL kids!
I second Anji.......the more tools he has in his toolbox the better. And this is good....he's young enough to EASILY learn Sign1 It's too bad the Deaf School doesn't offer preschool classes...that sucks.

WOW!! There are too many of you to keep quoting and thanking!!

You guys are amazing!! I'm going to download some of the software Jiro suggested and try to figure out Skype this weekend... lol

Shel, thank you for the link!!
Anij, Thank you!! Adams loss is similar profound in his left- moderate in his right... so he's got some speech too... but like you I think ASL will fit his personality!!

I am honestly overcome with emotion reading the offers to let me practice and the support... thank you again from the heart!!

One thing I wanted to say/ask is what you currently have for "Resources" for learning ASL. (hoping we can help out a bit!)

ASLPro.com
ASL Browser
SignSavvy

All are great video based resources online (free - you have to register with signsavvy but the free version is fine!).

If you are looking for Religious signs, let us know (Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Pagan etc) - there are a number of great video based websites for that as well (which where a LIFESAVERS while I was in seminary!!)

A resource I also found helpful is:
The RIT Deaf-Studies Resource Library

Two AWESOME sites/stores that have TONS of Hoh/d/Deaf and interpreter resources and products are:

DawnSignPress.com
&
GarlicPress
Many of the books from GarlicPress can also be ordered from your local "brick&mortar" Bookstores as GP is a common supplier of many children's books ("board=books", "first-words books", activity/learning books etc) to most bookstores throughout the USA & Canada.

As far as ASL dictionaries (books) and references ...

A Basic Course in American Sign Language (often called the "ABC book of ASL") is a really good book - it can optionally be ordered with a DVD. The most reliable place to get it is via DawnSignPress.com

A very common, well known and well respected ASL curriculum is the "Signing Naturally series" ... this is often used in ASL classes from beginners through more advanced. While it's not technically intended to be a "self study" series ... it may still be quite helpful to have (comes with a DVD) - or at least borrow.

Two of my "must have ASL dictionaries" are:

1) Random House Webster's Unabridged American Sign Language Dictionary by Elaine Costello Ph.D.
You want to make sure that you get the unabridged hardcover version as it has more signs, and expanded introduction (worth reading!) and larger easier to read signs.

It's a great resource! One thing you might want to do when Adam is write the date beside each sign when he learns to recognize a specific sign (ie understands it) then the date when he reproduces the sign (correctly in context). This allows you to keep track of what he knows, what he's "learning" - it becomes a "short hand language journal" of sorts in addition to being an ASL dictionary :D

2) The Canadian Dictionary of ASL By: C. Letourneau, C. Bailey, K Dolby

Now, I know this may sound like an odd suggestion for someone living in the USA ... but about 95% of the signs are the same between Canada and the USA (4% being regional differences within USA, 1% being "Canadian" signs ... many "USA only signs" are included though, since many Canadians go to Gally, or until recently where using the USA VRS ).

The thing is, that this book is a VERY good dictionary, with excellent clear signs (as well as phrase examples of how to use the sign correctly) that is even better than the Random House dictionary (which I LOVE BTW).

If it's at all possible to get this via the library, or find a used copy somewhere ... it's really worth seeing if you can get (it's expensive to by new , but that hasn't stopped it from flying off the shelves continually since production!!). I'm not comfortable saying " go by it new without seeing it" ... ONLY due to the cost factor - it's still hardcover only so it's expensive ... otherwise (if it was $20-40) I'd really suggest just getting it!

In many cases (to varying degrees) ASL and other Hoh/d/Deaf books, videos/DVD and resources are available either at the public library (larger cities) or via one of the "disability services" or "Hoh/d/Deaf services" organizations in your area.

In larger cities or places with a larger Deaf Community, especially if their is a nearby Hoh/D/Deaf school (such as is the case where I live) they will often have a library and media centre that is "open to Hoh/d/Deaf and their families" (but may or may not "technically be open to the public").
These centres will likely have copies of the Signing Naturally series, ASL dictionaries, ASL DVDs (including kids stories in ASL) as well as many many other resources that can be borrowed/rented. You will likely need to get/purchase a special "lending/library card" which may be $0-20 ... the money going towards maintaining and adding new resources to the library/media centre etc.

Hope that helps!!

Wirelessly posted

i would look for a deaf community center in your town. They probably have free classes. Also, i took classes at a community college, they helped a lot. I would check out "signing time" for quick and easy vocab and you MUST get your son around fluent signers! Also, ask if your school has a deaf mentor program and make sure you add a "family learning sign" goal to his iep.

So the Monkey is proving to me how quickly he's going to pick up on ASL-- (letting me know I'm making the right decision for him)

Last night he was refusing to go to sleep and wanted to play-- I signed STOP to him two or three times (over the course of a few minutes) and next thing I know he goes 'TOP' and signed a very close approximation of the sign-- :D so we repeated it a few times and he had it down!!! Such a quick learner!!! I think I'm in trouble b/c he'll learn much faster than me!!! :shock::giggle:

That's why children are so amazing..they just soak up everything at such a rapid pace. I hate getting old when my brain works slow. :(

So the Monkey is proving to me how quickly he's going to pick up on ASL-- (letting me know I'm making the right decision for him)

Last night he was refusing to go to sleep and wanted to play-- I signed STOP to him two or three times (over the course of a few minutes) and next thing I know he goes 'TOP' and signed a very close approximation of the sign-- :D so we repeated it a few times and he had it down!!! Such a quick learner!!! I think I'm in trouble b/c he'll learn much faster than me!!! :shock::giggle:

Aww, I'm so happy for you! So many of us grew up the oral route, and huge chunk of that population wishes they had ASL when they were younger. At least we know your child will be able to communicate with possibly both, if you're looking at a bi-bi school for later on!

I'm also very jealous that your son picks up ASL so fast, since I'm one of those oral deafies that never had it. I'm trying to learn now and it's difficult to learn if I'm around hearies 24/7 and hardly have time with deaf people!

Oh, and I would also say that 45 minutes, isn't very far away at all. I would look at getting him placed at the school as soon as possible. The quicker he gets around fluent signers the faster he will learn.

Oh, and I would also say that 45 minutes, isn't very far away at all. I would look at getting him placed at the school as soon as possible. The quicker he gets around fluent signers the faster he will learn.

He's 2.5 years to young for their school program, I've checked already- they do offer EI (which he already gets w/his DI/ED) and some mid-day 'playgroups', but I can't transport him during the week right now b/c of my schedule (being the only parent and working full time limits how much I can be off)... so I'm asking his DI to help us find local families who can do 'playgroups' to help expose him more.

That's why children are so amazing..they just soak up everything at such a rapid pace. I hate getting old when my brain works slow. :(

Yeah my brain crawls anymore-- but I'm hoping since ASL is visual, I can pick up on it quicker than say MATH :barf:

Aww, I'm so happy for you! So many of us grew up the oral route, and huge chunk of that population wishes they had ASL when they were younger. At least we know your child will be able to communicate with possibly both, if you're looking at a bi-bi school for later on!

I'm also very jealous that your son picks up ASL so fast, since I'm one of those oral deafies that never had it. I'm trying to learn now and it's difficult to learn if I'm around hearies 24/7 and hardly have time with deaf people!

Thank you Natty!!! I'm jealous of him too!! LOL

He's 2.5 years to young for their school program, I've checked already- they do offer EI (which he already gets w/his DI/ED) and some mid-day 'playgroups', but I can't transport him during the week right now b/c of my schedule (being the only parent and working full time limits how much I can be off)... so I'm asking his DI to help us find local families who can do 'playgroups' to help expose him more.

EI should transport him for free.

EI should transport him for free.

Actually I was just looking again and they dont appear to offer the playgroups now-- infact I find nothing about preschool age on the site--

I hadn't looked in a while since we were staying at his school for the time being--

Back