I disagree in movie theater!

starship winger

Reaction score
hi everyone,
last sat in early afternoon. me and my wife are deaf plus 2 hearing kids with us went in AMC movie theater. we watch SPIDERMAN 3 but big problem is we dont feel compfortable with 2 plactic clear like sunglass you know. 2 come with support tude stand into a hole with beside chair ( a coke can in hole). i figure out how is closed captioned working? my wife found out that closed captioned was behind us far from the wall beside with video room. i was shock oh man! the subtitle was backward words on the wall. i figure out that plastic with little dark like sunglass you know. i can read words but too small and hard time see between c.c. and movie. I DISAGREE WITH THAT DAMN THING. i not happy that day. i want everyone can do something and ask to FCC. i cant find website for those FCC. thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rl:

starship winger

hi everyone,
last sat in early afternoon. me and my wife are deaf plus 2 hearing kids with us went in AMC movie theater. we watch SPIDERMAN 3 but big problem is we dont feel compfortable with 2 plactic clear like sunglass you know. 2 come with support tude stand into a hole with beside chair ( a coke can in hole). i figure out how is closed captioned working? my wife found out that closed captioned was behind us far from the wall beside with video room. i was shock oh man! the subtitle was backward words on the wall. i figure out that plastic with little dark like sunglass you know. i can read words but too small and hard time see between c.c. and movie. I DISAGREE WITH THAT DAMN THING. i not happy that day. i want everyone can do something and ask to FCC. i cant find website for those FCC. thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:rl:

starship winger

FCC wouldn't help about anything bcause of no specified bill law on movie theater.

You need look at movie theater that support OC (open captioning) then would display on screen.

Rear Window Captioning is more and more common because it's inexpensive. It's not the best method, but it works. For Christmas I got my brother his own reflector so that he wouldn't get a worn out one from the theater.

hi everyone,

starship winger

I am with you on that! I can't stand Rear Window Captioning. It caused one friend to have migraines the first 10 minutes into the movie. Another friend developed nausea from trying to focus and refocus back and forth between the reflector and the movie screen.

OC is the way to go.

THAT IS SO WRONG!

Rear Window Captioning MUST BE BANNED.

I wonder who would ever let those ridicilious backward reading captioned :roll:

It's not backward. When reflected it's the right way. It works. It's just not as good as open captioned.

The problem is, burning the words into the movies is both more expensive, and many hearing people don't like seeing the words and would rather see the version without, so they don't go to open captioned movies, making it even more expensive because the cost can't be recouped with ticket sales.

It's a reasonable accomidation--it allows most deaf people to see what's being said for a movie. Is it the best? No. But it's a compromise so that at least the option is available.

It's not backward. When reflected it's the right way. It works. It's just not as good as open captioned.

The problem is, burning the words into the movies is both more expensive, and many hearing people don't like seeing the words and would rather see the version without, so they don't go to open captioned movies, making it even more expensive because the cost can't be recouped with ticket sales.

It's a reasonable accomidation--it allows most deaf people to see what's being said for a movie. Is it the best? No. But it's a compromise so that at least the option is available.

Still! Deaf have right, they deserve it.

Actually, they do have open-captioning without burning on the letters. They developed it a couple years ago. It's like a captioning projector of its own. It plays along with the movie. It's very cheap. They used to have captions burned in and played in different rooms at my theater. Now, they just picked one theater specifically for OC movies, added a second projector window, and now run the movie from the original projector and the captions from a second projector.

Actually, they do have open-captioning without burning on the letters. They developed it a couple years ago. It's like a captioning projector of its own. It plays along with the movie. It's very cheap. They used to have captions burned in and played in different rooms at my theater. Now, they just picked one theater specifically for OC movies, added a second projector window, and now run the movie from the original projector and the captions from a second projector.

That's cool, but doesn't do anything about many hearing people being distracted by "words on the screen." Sad, but true.

Still! Deaf have right, they deserve it.

This isn't a rights issue. Just as you don't get an interpreter when you go into a department store or a diner to use the services of those private business, you don't have the right to see a movie in a theater. It's NICE that some are accomidating, and I appreciate it, and it would be nicer if they used a better way of doing it, but they don't have legal obligation to accomidate you--nor should they. There's no government purpose or entity involved in this, and nothing you're being legally deprived of. Just as if there's a foreign film without subtitles, I can't demand the theater caption if for me because I don't speak the foreign language.

I live in ottawa,on and the movie theatres here provide you with an fm system if you ask. They are available to anyone with a hearing problem...i think that's very handy

FCC wouldn't help about anything bcause of no specified bill law on movie theater.

You need look at movie theater that support OC (open captioning) then would display on screen.

:giggle: You wouldn't know everything about FCC. Just an ADA law, I think so. You need looking for theaters with OC, (open captioning) it's great for me. I know RWC is okay for me.

Hello all,

I'm new here... I have strong feeling about that issue. Last week ago, I wrote a letter to the members of congress to pass this bill. This is what I wrote:

To The Members of Congress,

I like you to hear me out about this movie theatres' open caption issues. There are some movie theatres across the nation that offer open caption or rearview but only on limited times and movies. I like you to pass new bill to make every movie theatre across the nation to be required to offer an open caption at any time and any movie so deaf/hard of hearing movie goers can able to enjoy the movies and able to understand what movies are about without being discriminated or limited on times and movies at the movie theatres. Any movie theatre does not have to turn open caption on until a deaf/hard of hearing movie goer ask to turn open caption on. Please pass this bill to add on the American with Disablities Act law.

Thank you for taking your time to read this letter,

Joshua

I recommand anyone here to write letter to the members of congress to support this bill. It is time for us to do something about that.

Hello all,

I'm new here... I have strong feeling about that issue. Last week ago, I wrote a letter to the members of congress to pass this bill. This is what I wrote:

I like you to hear me out about this movie theatres' open caption issues. There are some movie theatres across the nation that offer open caption or rearview but only on limited times and movies. I like you to pass new bill to make every movie theatre across the nation to be required to offer an open caption at any time and any movie so deaf/hard of hearing movie goers can able to enjoy the movies and able to understand what movies are about without being discriminated or limited on times and movies at the movie theatres. Any movie theatre does not have to turn open caption on until a deaf/hard of hearing movie goer ask to turn open caption on. Please pass this bill to add on the American with Disablities Act law.

Joshua

I recommand anyone here to write letter to the members of congress to support this bill. It is time for us to do something about that.

I find that so sexy. Someone who is driven to make things better by being an activist! ;)

I live in ottawa,on and the movie theatres here provide you with an fm system if you ask. They are available to anyone with a hearing problem...i think that's very handy

FM system? N ot all deaf people benefit from an FM system. I dont at all. Used to wear one in middle school...was of no good use for me so I seriously doubt I would benefit from a FM system at the movie theatre. Maybe for CI users..:dunno:

This isn't a rights issue. Just as you don't get an interpreter when you go into a department store or a diner to use the services of those private business, you don't have the right to see a movie in a theater. It's NICE that some are accomidating, and I appreciate it, and it would be nicer if they used a better way of doing it, but they don't have legal obligation to accomidate you--nor should they. There's no government purpose or entity involved in this, and nothing you're being legally deprived of. Just as if there's a foreign film without subtitles, I can't demand the theater caption if for me because I don't speak the foreign language.

Umm?

So ur saying that hearing people can go to movie theater and enjoy it as much as they favored, and the deaf people can't? THAT is not fair! The movie theater SHOULD set up a closed captioning on special hour for deafies! They don't have to put the closed captioning ALL the times, no.

Deaf people are in the world and they deserve it! I support Deaf Rights PERIOD!

Hello all,

Joshua

Welcome to Alldeaf and I referred him to Alldeaf when I showed him the post about the movie theather thing. He decided to join after all. He's a cool guy and you guys will like him, he's a great friend! :D I met him a few times in person of course we met in person first then online.

Hi there!

My ex-husband and I went to a RWC viewing (or was it two?), and we disliked the experience. It was really ridiculous for us to lug that whachamacallit from the register to the theater. We realized the disadvantages--- (not just for ourselves, but for those who are in wheelchair)
--we do not have an extra hands to carry beverages or food,
--we have to sit somewhere near both ends of each rows to view the captions (if we are late, then too bad for us, and if the wheelchair sections are filled, then how can one person in wheelchair enjoy the movie while they are not in the appropriate seat/section?)
--it's not so appealing to carry it around and having people asking, "What the heck is that?!"
--people are afraid to come/walk near us because it looks like a weapon!
--elders wouldn't probably enjoy it because they have to adjust that little screen (its been AGES since I last saw it, so I can't recall what it looks like) or they have to adjust themselves in seat in order to look at the movie screen and that little screen. That isn't good if they have arthritis or pains in whereever in their body!

Boo-hoo to others that are peeved by the OC that it gets in the way of enjoying the movies.. what about the subtitles? What about the opening and ending credits-- should they be omitted from the movies? Sometimes credits do roll/appear while actions are going on!

I do like the method of having a 2nd projector to allow captionings "ghosting" throughout the movie rather than burning on the film, and, yes, it is quite inexpensive! :)

Rock on, & live on forever, the OC method! :) Begone, begone, begone RWC!

Back