I am considering Gallaudet University

no. just suggesting it to avoid any unnecessary headache.

That's correct.

NJ pays up to 4 years of college (for Bachelors) and willing to pay for Masters, depending on what major.

NY pays up to 6 years for Bachelors. For Masters? Very, very rare.

the contractual agreement was to pay for your AA degree. period. so next time when you get a VR support - apply for bachelor degree rather than AA.
Wrong! 30 years ago the VR counselor told me that its policy was to pay for any training program up to AAS degree. That's it. Like Deaf Yoda said, the director might make its own policy.

That's correct.

NJ pays up to 4 years of college (for Bachelors) and willing to pay for Masters, depending on what major.

NY pays up to 6 years for Bachelors. For Masters? Very, very rare.

Ah! that explained WHY~!~~ me DUH! :giggle:

CrazyPaul,

My black friend from NJ (in NYC metro) and she already graduated last May. She told me that she received full assistance from VR in NJ for bachelor degree but limited to 10 semesters, after 10 semesters pass so they stop to support anymore. I don't know why are you being treat differently and you should file the complaint if you haven't receive fair assistance.

For me, unlimited, even they pay for graduate programs too. :cool2:

I used to had bad VR counselor before so changed to different counselor.
Deaf Yoda explained that it varies depending on a director's own policy. I think it's not right. Anyway, there was only one counselor (who was HOH) for deaf clients in A.C. at that time that was 30 years ago.

No, check Gally website for accurate total cost.

PowerON is just wrong and he loves to mess with us.

Umm, I said $25k.

You suppose say "Wrong! It's 12k for US citizen, and 20k is for International student! lol wut?"

Wrong! 30 years ago the VR counselor told me that its policy was to pay for any training program up to AAS degree. That's it. Like Deaf Yoda said, the director might make its own policy.

lol.... 30 years ago........ time has changed, you know?

you do realize that I have handful of deaf friends who have VR support for their bachelor degrees?

Last edited:
ha ha power on in which all case university education is never cheap (used to be in NZ, it was great, now it all about status , no longer about 'finding a place in society to use your brain' anymore its all about money and knowing WHO....real fucken sad...but yap keep up the good work power on, every now and then we need to kick back and poke fun cheers

Deaf Yoda explained that it varies depending on a director's own policy. I think it's not right. Anyway, there was only one counselor (who was HOH) for deaf clients in A.C. at that time that was 30 years ago.

Aha, it is Al Cain. Many Deafies complained alot about him being inconvienent to them.

If people want to transfer to another college and continue to get support from VR, VR will have to write a new degree plan. Some VR will not be lenient to do so as they will say the time frame to obtain degrees with VR's support has expired. This is why I always have told students to be prudent with their time and take education seriously.
Yeah. It's usually acceptable if that student can transfer and still finish their program within the same amount of time. If they spent 3 years in one college and decided to change their program when transfering to another college (which will add another 3 years), then they're likely to be denied.

I remember a guy at NTID who spent 10 years getting his AOS (no, not AAS) degree. Why? He spent those 10 years being too involved with his fraternity, changing his major almost every year, having half of his courses being related to theater, etc.

I remember another guy who spent 7 years at NTID getting his AOS degree. After graduating, he decided to go to RIT to get his BS... but was delayed for another 2 years because he still had a lot of liberal arts requirements to fulfill that were not part of his AOS degree plan.

It is not weird at all because policies are different locally, statewide, and nationally. It is just like how laws can differ locally and statewide.
That's right.

Sometimes, it's because of previous clients that affects the decision of counselors for future clients.

If one office has a bunch of clients that do their part and are successful, they're more likely to support future clients.

If one office has a bunch of clients that are lazy and don't do their parts, they're least likely to support future clients.

I had to deal with that myself when I was going through college.

The first year, I simply had to give my VR counselor an estimate on how much money I needed for that quarter so that he could send a voucher for my books and supplies.

The second year, it changed to where I had to give him a list of books and supplies needed and how much money was needed.

The third year, it changed to where I had to give him a voided receipt along with a list of books and supplies needed.

The fourth year, it changed to where I had to fax him a copy of the syllabus showing the books and materials needed... along with a voided receipt of everything.

The fifth year, it changed to where I had to fax him a copy of the syllabus and registered courses... along with a voided receipt of everything.

Why all these changes? Apparently, the VR office was seeing a lot of abuse by students with the funds they received. They started out by making up funds needed so that they could buy whatever they wanted from the book store. When a list of books and supplies was requested, they started making up unnecessary books and supplies... along with made-up costs. When a voided receipt was requested, they started adding unnecessary books and supplies to the voided receipt to get the funds they wanted. It finally got to a point where they had to show proof of the necessary books and supplies (faxing a copy of the syllabus along with the list of courses they're taking) and a voucher would be sent specifically for those things (and nothing else).

Umm, I said $25k.

You suppose say "Wrong! It's 12k for US citizen, and 20k is for International student! lol wut?"

I'm blind and you're idiot. It's for Undergraduates. Of course, I realize, I didn't give specs. My friend grads from different school. It's still $24k (25k is typo) for everything.

I'm sure that LuciaDisturbed isn't former Gally student with degree.

Please refrain from insulting and I'm not interested to play with you.

Refer Gallaudet website for cost of attendance and for Lucia, it will going be around $12,000 and she's US citizen.

I reported your post to moderator for insulting and trolling.

Please refrain from insulting and I'm not interested to play with you.

Refer Gallaudet website for cost of attendance and for Lucia, it will going be around $12,000 and she's US citizen.

I reported your post to moderator for insulting and trolling.

Do you know what undergraduates mean?

Do you know what undergraduates mean?

Why are you asking stupid question?

I used to be undergraduate student at Gallaudet and total of attendance is around $11,000 per semester.

You need stop being lying at us about cost of attendance and it is already stated on Gallaudet website. For all undergraduate US citizens like Lucia pay around $12,000 per semester.

you do realize that I have handful of deaf friends who have VR support for their bachelor degrees?

30 years - 1980, 1982, that's very different and VR change every year.

My VR counselor told me about back in 1980's, VR paid a lot of stuff to students, especially phone bill, food, gas, rent, utilities, tutor, tuition, supplies, books, even much more. During Wallace/James Admin in state, the VR used to had very fatter funding, combined of federal and state.

Now, time has been changed, they no longer to pay phone bill, utilities and non-college related living expenses due to massive budget cut in 90's, they only pay limited gas, however they still pay in full for tuition, meal plan, dorm and books, depending on student's parent income, if you are over 24 years old so you are officially independent. Under our state regulation, VR is required to pay tuition and books in FULL if dependent students live on SSI, even not eligible for federal grant, however dorm and meal plan are depending on parent's income.

In my older post, I stated that my friend from North Jersey (Red Bank) got a full support financially to tranfer to RIT at the same time (30 years ago). That was not fair to me. Oh, well, the past is the past. As long as I have a good job for more than 27 years, I am happy.

Back