How to sign 2010

Chevy57

Sherlock Hound
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWC9cikTYOA]YouTube - How to Sign 2010.wmv[/ame]

I agree that.

Can someone transcribe or summarize the video please? :ty::ty:

CJB, here's the gist of it: In the past, there have been different ways to sign the year signs in the first decade of the second millenium. Some people signed 2-0-0-1, or 2-thousand-1, etc.

This guy says the new way to sign 2010 is to sign twenty and then sign ten: so, Happy twenty-ten!

:)

I like it as well. Quick and easy. Has a nice rhythm to it.

wow that's cool! I like that! quick to sign 2010

Can someone transcribe or summarize the video please? :ty::ty:

The guy was giving us a speedy sign to sign 2001 to 2010. Instead of "2 thousand 1" and "2 thousand 10" in a cumbersome way, he signed "2....1" and "2...10" in a quick, smooth movement.

Does that help?

The guy was giving us a speedy sign to sign 2001 to 2010. Instead of "2 thousand 1" and "2 thousand 10" in a cumbersome way, he signed "2....1" and "2...10" in a quick, smooth movement.

Does that help?

he actually signed "2001" with the zeros as one smooth movement. for "2010", he signed it with the sign for twenty, then the sign for ten.

he actually signed "2001" with the zeros as one smooth movement. for "2010", he signed it with the sign for twenty, then the sign for ten.

I looked carefully again. You're right. Twenty-Ten in a smooth movement.

Thanks everyone. :)

I sign it twenty-ten too. I like the motion of flapping the index and thumb and then shaking the thumb.

It appears he's making a combined sign rather than separate 20, 10 signs, which does flow with more economy of movement. That is, he makes a single motion for the "20" rather than the repeat motion used for a number "20". Then, his hand transitions to a single "10" movement rather than twisting the "10" back and forth. Very nice. :)

:ty: for the video.

It appears he's making a combined sign rather than separate 20, 10 signs, which does flow with more economy of movement. That is, he makes a single motion for the "20" rather than the repeat motion used for a number "20". Then, his hand transitions to a single "10" movement rather than twisting the "10" back and forth. Very nice. :)

Yeah, and did you see the way he signed two-thousand-ten? He didn't twist the ten on that one either. Interesting.

That sounds really nice. :)

:ty: for the description Reba.

Well, I know we always use the 1900 like 19-00 and then use the same way from 19-01 to 19-99. But when the new 21st century come here, we tend to sign 2 thousand for the beginning of the year. I still feel that I want to sign 2 thousand ten, not 2 thousand and ten. Anyway, anyone can sign whatever they like to sign the year with 20-10 or 2 thousand ten, it does not matter. :naughty:

speaking of twenty-ten:

Facebook page wants us to say “twenty-ten” instead of “two-thousand-ten”

me, I'll stick with 2,010. As I been saying 2,000, 2,001, 2,002, and so on. I'm not going to say twenty-ten just because it's cool. it does make sense what they are saying though as we been saying Nineteen ninety-six for 1996 and such. I'll probably do the twenty-ten for ASL though if that's the sign for it.

It's not just a "cool" thing. There is historical precedence for this pattern. Hearing Americans have always said, "19-39", "18-12", "14-92", etc. We said, "17-76", not "one-thousand, seven-hundred and 76." ASL follows the same pattern.

When we use year dates, we aren't using the date as a number but as an identifying name. The name is a combination of century (14th, 18th, 20th, etc.) and specific year ("36", "99"). Since the first two numbers represent a century, the "00" is understood.

We should have really been using the "20", not "two-thousand" the whole time.

"17-hundred"
"18-hundred"
"19-hundred"
"20-hundred" (not "2,000")

"17-0-6"
"18-0-6"
"20-0-6"

Back