How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of the fact that this is what we're doing (written English, no speech), I don't think it's appropriate.

I very much follow the theory of "whatever works for your child". It's not the place of the powers-that-be to take that away from parents. Some schmuck who's never met me or my child has no business telling me how to parent/educate my child.

LOL! So true, thanks for the laugh, it really is amazing how people think they know what's best for other people's children.

That does sound sad. Deaf people do get shift around alot :( Even I was. I went to different elementary school because my local elementary felt they could not handle deaf with people like me. by the time I was in third grade they started adding Special Education to their school and told me that I had to leave my first school and go to my local school. It didn't matter to me though because none of kids in first school would not talk to me even though it was big school. just about all the kids in my local school did talk to me and play with me. It's a smaller school, and most of them were my rural neighbors anyway. The first school had alot of middle and upper class kids so that probably why things didn't work out well. But they were never mean to me, they just tend to treat me like I'm invisible. I did meet them again in middle and high school and nothing changed, they were the same as always. I'm was always the only deaf in all my schools.

(because deaf get shifted away alot, I think any school that is designed for deaf /hoh people should have an requirement to offer ASL classes. I don't care if it is oral/AVT school... withholding ASL from the deaf that could help them is like witholding English from spanish speaking school located in America)

This kind of experience and many others is what I dont want to keep happening to future deaf children but many hearing people dont really care about stuff like that.

Just found out this weekend that one of Li's best friends in the program is leaving for the CASE system, a non-asl program. We've been at TLC for 3 years now, from PIP through preK, and have sadly watched one child after another move off into the oral/av programs, shrinking what was two classes of ~12 children w/CIs and HAs down to just a handful.
awww, that is increidbily sad :( Some of those kids may return. I just find that so incredibily sad that more parents want a hyperfocus on speech, speech and more speech.
I do think that many hearing parents don't understand that oral only is basicly an eternal speech therapy session.

awww, that is increidbily sad :( Some of those kids may return. I just find that so incredibily sad that more parents want a hyperfocus on speech, speech and more speech.
I do think that many hearing parents don't understand that oral only is basicly an eternal speech therapy session.

Not true. Oral schools still teach age appropriate curriculum.

Wirelessly posted

Huh? What age-apporiate have to do with anything.

To maintain one's oral ability, you need speech therapies throughout your life.

No different from someone with CP needing lifelong physiotherapies to be sic normal sic.

Not everyone want to pursue a lifelong session of therapies,

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

No different from someone with CP needing lifelong physiotherapies to be sic normal sic.

I was saying that attending an oral program is not the equivalent of speech therapy all the time.

I'm not sad for them, I hear truly great things about these local programs that are basically stepping stones into mainstream environments -- but selfishly, I'm sad for Li-Li bc I would have wished for all of these kids to remain together, and to be a very good reason for the school to maintain a strong program that meets their needs.

I haven't posted here in a while, but for those of you who know me, you know I'm profoundly deaf. I've read a large part of this thread and I feel like I must jump in. I've said so many times that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all. What worked (or didn't work, for that matter) for me is not going to be the same for everyone else. I read in another thread just before this one that judgment shouldn't be passed on those whose shoes you haven't walked in. So, why should we deaf be so critical and jump down the throats of those parents posting here when we deaf have not walked in their shoes and have had to make the decisions they make? I may not love every single decision my parents made for me, but they made them with my best interests at heart. What parent who takes the time to come to this forum doesn't? I am part of a very, very large deaf community here so I have friends and acquaintances from all walks of life - i.e. deaf schools, charter schools, mainstreamed, oral-only, whatnot. And, even so, two people from the same school still have different experiences. Much of it depends on the individual child him/herself. There's too much judgment being passed onto those individuals trying to do best for their child just because some others here choose to put on blinders and insist what they think is best, is best for all. It isn't. Get real.

I haven't posted here in a while, but for those of you who know me, you know I'm profoundly deaf. I've read a large part of this thread and I feel like I must jump in. I've said so many times that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all. What worked (or didn't work, for that matter) for me is not going to be the same for everyone else. I read in another thread just before this one that judgment shouldn't be passed on those whose shoes you haven't walked in. So, why should we deaf be so critical and jump down the throats of those parents posting here when we deaf have not walked in their shoes and have had to make the decisions they make? I may not love every single decision my parents made for me, but they made them with my best interests at heart. What parent who takes the time to come to this forum doesn't? I am part of a very, very large deaf community here so I have friends and acquaintances from all walks of life - i.e. deaf schools, charter schools, mainstreamed, oral-only, whatnot. And, even so, two people from the same school still have different experiences. Much of it depends on the individual child him/herself. There's too much judgment being passed onto those individuals trying to do best for their child just because some others here choose to put on blinders and insist what they think is best, is best for all. It isn't. Get real.

:gpost:

I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.:gpost:

So deaf people disagreeeing with some parents are dumb assholes, while parents are intelligent saints? Get real.. The world isn't black and white.

Teenagers raised orally with the aid of cochlear implant tell me they want to commit suicide. Did i say all teenagers? No. Did I say parents here are to blame? No. Should I throw those stories in the bin, to avoid making some parents making this kind of choices guilty? Why the hell do people really think I tell those stories? To mock parents. Of course not.

You have a couple of parents here mocking deaf people with a different view than themselves, and you have those who don't. And you have deaf people who puts down any parents that opt for cochlear implant in a rude way.

Smart people will know that parents can't take the responsibilities of the actions of other parents, and deaf people can't take the responsibilities of what other deaf people do. This is an open internet forum with different experiences and stories, and I find all of them interesting.

So deaf people disagreeeing with some parents are dumb assholes, while parents are intelligent saints? Get real.. The world isn't black and white.

Teenagers raised orally with the aid of cochlear implant tell me they want to commit suicide. Did i say all teenagers? No. Did I say parents here are to blame? No. Should I throw those stories in the bin, to avoid making some parents making this kind of choices guilty? Why the hell do people really think I tell those stories? To mock parents. Of course not.

You have a couple of parents here mocking deaf people with a different view than themselves, and you have those who don't. And you have deaf people who puts down any parents that opt for cochlear implant in a rude way.

Smart people will know that parents can't take the responsibilities of the actions of other parents, and deaf people can't take the responsibilities of what other deaf people do. This is an open internet forum with different experiences and stories, and I find all of them interesting.

:gpost:

Some people keep forgetting that there are many deaf/hoh stuck in restrictive educational environments missing out and falling behind.

That is why I dont agree with trying different approaches to see which one works for the children. Most of the time, ASL is used as a last resort and it is a shame because the damage has been done. Give the children ALL approaches especially both languages.

Get real about the major problem with deaf children being underserviced and suffering the consequences.

Who on earth said either of these things?? Where have parents mocked Deaf people who disagree with them? Where does Alley cat call someone who disagree with her dumb? Infact, she said that they have the right to their opinion and that different things work for different people.

I have no idea why she deserved this nasty response :shock:

Who on earth said either of these things?? Where have parents mocked Deaf people who disagree with them? Where does Alley cat call someone who disagree with her dumb? Infact, she said that they have the right to their opinion and that different things work for different people.

I have no idea why she deserved this nasty response :shock:

:cool2:

I was saying that attending an oral program is not the equivalent of speech therapy all the time.
No, but being oral only IS an eternal speech therapy session! Oral programs want to make dhh kids oral only. Why the hell should a dhh kid have to live life as an eternal speech therapy session? Isn't it better to have a FULL toolbox of tools? It's pretty much a fact that the gross majority of dhh kids are very strong visual processors. (the whole seeing us as Sighted rather then as hearing impaired) Why do we educate kids using their weakest sense? That would be like being gifted in English but weak in math and being educated SOLELY by trying to fix the defiency in math, and ignoring the English strenghs! And I say that as someone who is an oral sucess AND who is a very strong aural learner.

No, but being oral only IS an eternal speech therapy session! Oral programs want to make dhh kids oral only. Why the hell should a dhh kid have to live life as an eternal speech therapy session? Isn't it better to have a FULL toolbox of tools? It's pretty much a fact that the gross majority of dhh kids are very strong visual processors. (the whole seeing us as Sighted rather then as hearing impaired) Why do we educate kids using their weakest sense? That would be like being gifted in English but weak in math and being educated SOLELY by trying to fix the defiency in math, and ignoring the English strenghs! And I say that as someone who is an oral sucess AND who is a very strong aural learner.

Speech therapy is used to target specific goals and teach certain skills. School and life, is not therapy. My daughter's school does not spend all day correcting her speech. They teach math and science and go on field trips. How is that "eternal speech therapy"? How is me reading a book to my daughter "therapy"? It is life, and it is fun. It isn't therapy.

Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!

Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!

It's not the same fight. Before it was "do implants work" and "do parents have the right to implant their kids" and now it has evolved to "SHOULD parents implant their kids" and "do CI's provide access to spoken language"......wait are those still fundamentally the same topics???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back