How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!

Most of us are doing great, I suppose. Stepping in here again? Here, wear this shirt with a painted bullseye on it.

Speech therapy is used to target specific goals and teach certain skills. School and life, is not therapy. My daughter's school does not spend all day correcting her speech. They teach math and science and go on field trips. How is that "eternal speech therapy"?
Not articulation speech therapy no....not yet. But it IS spoken language therapy. It's spoken language therapy integrated into classroom life. That is why kids who need an oral education are educated in oral classrooms. If they didn't have eternal spoken language therapy, then they could just be in a mainstream classroom!

Wirelessly posted
No different from someone with CP needing lifelong physiotherapies to be sic normal sic.
Not everyone want to pursue a lifelong session of therapies,

Do you HAVE cp you yourself? I have cp and i chosen NOT to lifelong therapy but i live my life with disability . i know plenty of walkers(oh i walk so im NOT disabled types) that dont see a physiotherapist.I see only to work on getting my left arm strong so i can push a one arm drive wheelchair. I was rasied a walker

Please dont my statements about disability you may not have please

Not articulation speech therapy no....not yet. But it IS spoken language therapy. It's spoken language therapy integrated into classroom life. That is why kids who need an oral education are educated in oral classrooms. If they didn't have eternal spoken language therapy, then they could just be in a mainstream classroom!

Which is the point of an oral education. They learn the language and then join the mainstream.

Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!

Sure wish we'd see more of you! I bet that gorgeous little boy of yours is growing like a weed!

Which is the point of an oral education. They learn the language and then join the mainstream.

The point of an education is to learn the most information possible and learn how to apply that information. Why would you ask a child to do that with their weakest sense?

Yea and then continue to miss out on information and lag behind their hearing peers to what's happening around them. What a wonderful way to educate deaf children.

Be careful using those words "gift of hearing" in here. It's like when you use holy water on vampires and sprinkle some of it on them, they don't like that.

I saw that video...the baby was laughing, but so was the mom....Was wondering if the baby was just reacting to the mother's smiling and laughing?....Her facial expressions?....Seems to me, since the baby was 8 months old, was profoundly deaf, implanted, and understood laughter right off the bat?....am I making any sense here?....Or maybe the sounds just made him laugh?

The baby looks very tired.

Babies do imitate their parents alot, rather they make sounds or not.

I saw that video...the baby was laughing, but so was the mom....Was wondering if the baby was just reacting to the mother's smiling and laughing?....Her facial expressions?....Seems to me, since the baby was 8 months old, was profoundly deaf, implanted, and understood laughter right off the bat?....am I making any sense here?....Or maybe the sounds just made him laugh?

The baby's pacifier fell out of his mouth when he heard his mother for the first time! That was a reaction to the sound he was hearing! I think it was really toughing that the baby can hear his mother voice ! I do not see why people are so against parents wanting their child to have a better life!

The baby's pacifier fell out of his mouth when he heard his mother for the first time! That was a reaction to the sound he was hearing! I think it was really toughing that the baby can hear his mother voice ! I do not see why people are so against parents wanting their child to have a better life!

it fell out when he was trying to smile. All babies do this. I don't know how a baby automatically just know the sound is coming from the mother for the first time after not hearing. He should be confuse instead if this is his first activation. I think he was watching and imitating his mother smile. That's all to it. Of course, it doesn't mean he doesn't hear it. I just don't see how he can react as " that's my mom's voice" right away. Either that, or he was once hearing.

Are you saying without sounds, we can't have a better life?

Many babies smile and the pacifier drops out of their mouth whenever someone they know very well comes into their view and makes "laughing/smiley" expressions....

I'm not against parents wanting the best for their child, a better life....I'm just questioning the CI with an infant...that can't say "I hear ur laughter", etc. We really don't know what the infant "heard"....or if the baby just smiled and laughed because the mother makes those expressions everyday....it was a "loving" expression.

The baby's pacifier fell out of his mouth when he heard his mother for the first time! That was a reaction to the sound he was hearing! I think it was really toughing that the baby can hear his mother voice ! I do not see why people are so against parents wanting their child to have a better life![/QUOTE]

So if one is deaf and does not have CIs, their lives are crappy? :roll:

Last edited:
Kids have different reactions to hearing for the first time. He didn't know what he was hearing, he just was feeling something he hadn't before and that made him laugh. Some kids cry, some smile, some do nothing at all.

Here is a video of a kiddo I know getting activated. He laughs too.

Meet Cal...: Cal's Activation

But honestly, this is the single most moving activation I have ever seen. It is a girl adopted from China who uses ASL, I think she is about 5, she is soooooo happy. I cried and cried.

Having trouble with the link.....hold for more info...

Kids have different reactions to hearing for the first time. He didn't know what he was hearing, he just was feeling something he hadn't before and that made him laugh. Some kids cry, some smile, some do nothing at all.

Here is a video of a kiddo I know getting activated. He laughs too.

Meet Cal...: Cal's Activation

But honestly, this is the single most moving activation I have ever seen. It is a girl adopted from China who uses ASL, I think she is about 5, she is soooooo happy. I cried and cried.

Having trouble with the link.....hold for more info...

I can imagine the parents must have some funny expressions in their faces when the doctor turn on the CI. What's most funny, the new, never seen before hillarous expressions in mom and dads face, or that weird boofing and barking going on back in the brain?

I find the situation a bit morbid, but I understand that some people can get a lot of emotions watching this kind of videos. Guess we see different sides of the same mountain.

Do you HAVE cp you yourself? I have cp and i chosen NOT to lifelong therapy but i live my life with disability . i know plenty of walkers(oh i walk so im NOT disabled types) that dont see a physiotherapist.I see only to work on getting my left arm strong so i can push a one arm drive wheelchair. I was rasied a walker

Please dont my statements about disability you may not have please

Woha... Defensive are we?

Might want to keep your grudges to yourself before making assumptions about another person.

The people who know me personally would know what I am talking about. :cool2:

If you've noted, I left it up in the air for the person to make a decision whither or not it's a worthy cause to be pursuing. Any desire to get therapies depends on the person's values and how they fit into society.

I can imagine the parents must have some funny expressions in their faces when the doctor turn on the CI. What's most funny, the new, never seen before hillarous expressions in mom and dads face, or that weird boofing and barking going on back in the brain?

I find the situation a bit morbid, but I understand that some people can get a lot of emotions watching this kind of videos. Guess we see different sides of the same mountain.

Actually, we were told to not react at all at first when she was activated. We were supposed to sit quietly and wait.

What is "morbid" about a child hearing?

it fell out when he was trying to smile. All babies do this. I don't know how a baby automatically just know the sound is coming from the mother for the first time after not hearing. He should be confuse instead if this is his first activation. I think he was watching and imitating his mother smile. That's all to it. Of course, it doesn't mean he doesn't hear it. I just don't see how he can react as " that's my mom's voice" right away. Either that, or he was once hearing.

Are you saying without sounds, we can't have a better life?

I am thinking about my life , it would had been a Hell of a lot better if I had gotten my HA before I was 8 years old! I am glad you have great nice life , it does not mean everyone else life was great too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back