How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing that I am hopeful of is that this attempt at an informational thread doesn't end up getting locked like so many others due to what is panning out to be constant derailment because of a lack of the ability to agree to disagree.

Jillio, with all due respect you don't have to start your reply with "You really need to get a grip". In fact there is really no room for that kind of language in a discussion such as this. And it's not just you. Others have the same problem as well. I only single that out because it's the last post before I wrote this one.

In general I think that it is alot about how we say something and the words we choose that reflects how others percieve us. When it comes to people that are new to deafness, patience is needed to a certian extent. Regardless of the route a person takes for their deaf child we should be able to discuss this in a civil manner.

The facts are the facts and we know there are succes and failure stories on all sides which to me, reenforces what I believe in that one size doesn't fit all. Not everybody agrees with that and that's ok. Not everybody has to. What I personally think is important from my experience and from what I have learned is that all options be available and that all options be thoroughly investigated before making any decision. Also to be aware that not all options are presented and a parent needs to seek out information in addition to what they have been given by the medical community. And until a decision is made on an approach, ASL to communicate.

Peace! ..... please

yeah, it is not easy on the eyes. moving your eyeball from left to right all day to read small prints (Cart) for college hurts alittle

Oh my gosh, tell me about it. When I was learning ASL, I had an oral terp...my eyes hurted like hell and I didnt get half of the info as my hearing peers did so I got a CART..eyes hurted but I got almost equal access to info as my hearing peers. Then I started using ASL terps, 100% BETTER! No more headaches nor tired eyes.

You really need to get a grip, GrendelQ. And no, my child is not different, nor is your child different, when it comes to the academic, psychological, and social effects suffered by children in an oral only environment. Nor are any of the deaf adults that try to relate their experiences so that you can learn from them different. The fact that you refuse to listen to them says volumes about what you believe regarding the experiences of the deaf, and the ways in which their stories have the capabilities to improve the lives of deaf children in the future.

Sorry, I don't take a vacation when it comes to deaf children. But, if you are so offended by the truth, then I suggest you take a vacation from reading my posts. Obviously, you have not reached a point in your life where you are open to learning anything new, anyway.

And for the MILLIONTH time, Grendel's child is in a bi-bi school, her first language is ASL. How on earth does the crap you are spewing about oral only and being an audist apply to her?????

If it is not ok for Jillio to say stuff like that, then why is it ok for the others to say stuff like that to us? It goes both ways.

Has Alleycat or Grendel been disrespectful at all? How have they "said stuff like that" to you?

Mod note:

Thread's closed for a review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back