How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know i could look up the google. I plan to. I d like to know what does the CART look like? thanks!

Is like this one??

689138702.jpeg

alittle bit, but that's look like it is for court transcript (where they use shorthand) and not really a CART

Oh gotcha. I need the certain link for the cart. So i can take a look at it to see if i need it for my work. :giggle: Thanks!

Is like this one??

689138702.jpeg

Yes, but it's hooked up to a laptop for the words to show up on the screen. Sometimes you can communicate back and forward with the CART provider by typing into the laptop, and what you type on the laptop would show up on their stenocaptioner; useful for remote CART usage.

Yes, but it's hooked up to a laptop for the words to show up on the screen. Sometimes you can communicate back and forward with the CART provider by typing into the laptop, and what you type on the laptop would show up on their stenocaptioner; useful for remote CART usage.

yeah i would like that. I ll keep that in mind for my own benefit. thanks

Most technologies get better as they evolve. Perhaps that will happen with CART.

Well, it's human limitations. Got nothing to do with technological progressions.

It's hard for a CART provider to point to who is talking if they don't know who is talking. They will say if it's a male, female, what kind of accent the student have, if the voice is on the far side of the room or is behind you on the screen. But by the time they type all that information out, the conversation would be over before you can pinpoint who is speaking.

With an interpreter, they just point in the general direction or to the specific person so you can glance over if you want.

You see, interpreters are your eyes (if someone is talking behind you) AND ears. CART can only be your ears, not your eyes.

Well, it's human limitations. Got nothing to do with technological progressions.

It's hard for a CART provider to point to who is talking if they don't know who is talking. They will say if it's a male, female, what kind of accent the student have, if the voice is on the far side of the room or is behind you on the screen. But by the time they type all that information out, the conversation would be over before you can pinpoint who is speaking.

With an interpreter, they just point in the general direction or to the specific person so you can glance over if you want.

You see, interpreters are your eyes (if someone is talking behind you) AND ears. CART can only be your ears, not your eyes.

Exactly. Technology cannot overcome the human limitations. However, there are low tech solutions to compensate. Dare I say it...hackey sack!:lol:

My thinking is that if voice recognition evolves to a point where it doesn't need to be trained, it could potentially eliminate the human factor. Imagine a device that is proficient at voice recognition and the ability to turn towards the direction the voice is comming from. Include a camera and now you have eyes and ears. Sure it's pie in the sky now but the technology could evolve to something like that.

if only you can get people to all speak clearly, but that doesn't happen and only human mind can understand what the person is saying. Not machines.Machines can come close to being accurate but not always.

if only you can get people to all speak clearly, but that doesn't happen and only human mind can understand what the person is saying. Not machines.Machines can come close to being accurate but not always.
I don't know man... I was pretty impressed with my new phone and how well it does after I trained it to my voice. Before I trained it the thing would make all kinds of mistakes. After I trained it there has not been one mistake.

yes, to your voice. but you can't ask everyone to train it.

yes, to your voice. but you can't ask everyone to train it.
I understand that and it's why I said it's pie in the sky right now but the technology could evolve to where it would not need to be trained.

And how do they become success? Through parental involvement and dedicated professionals. You keep calling them "Ag Bell types", how do you think that AG Bell manages to have successful kids?
You're missing my point. Yes, the days of most deaf kids not being able to even say some words or simple sentances is deep in the past. Most dhh kids CAN aquire SOME speech abilty.
The question is, how much will they be able to aquire? Will they be able to acheive spoken language abilty on a par with hearing kids?
Yes, it takes parental involvement to become a sucess.....but the question is what consistutes sucess? Is it really realistic to expect an average dhh kid to grow up with little to no speech/language issues? Even many HOH kids (who have been aided for a long time, with good technology) still have significent speech and language delays.
Yes, some AG Bell kids don't have a lot of speech and language delays. But those kids usually come from families where parental involvement is INTENSE. Not normal parental involvement, but INTENSE. I'm sure you've heard about the suburban parents who push for overacheivement with their kids. The kind where kids have to go to Kumon in preschool, or the kind where it's expected that the kid will go on to Name Brand University, and get a high acheiving job. Like the type of families where the kids are overschduled, and signed up for every single thing under the sun for enrichement so they can get an "edge" into a Name Brand School.
And yes, these parents exist......look at the types of colleges AG Bell scholarship winners get into....they're usually very prestigious Name Brand colleges.

You're missing my point. Yes, the days of most deaf kids not being able to even say some words or simple sentances is deep in the past. Most dhh kids CAN aquire SOME speech abilty.
The question is, how much will they be able to aquire? Will they be able to acheive spoken language abilty on a par with hearing kids?
Yes, it takes parental involvement to become a sucess.....but the question is what consistutes sucess? Is it really realistic to expect an average dhh kid to grow up with little to no speech/language issues? Even many HOH kids (who have been aided for a long time, with good technology) still have significent speech and language delays.
Yes, some AG Bell kids don't have a lot of speech and language delays. But those kids usually come from families where parental involvement is INTENSE. Not normal parental involvement, but INTENSE. I'm sure you've heard about the suburban parents who push for overacheivement with their kids. The kind where kids have to go to Kumon in preschool, or the kind where it's expected that the kid will go on to Name Brand University, and get a high acheiving job. Like the type of families where the kids are overschduled, and signed up for every single thing under the sun for enrichement so they can get an "edge" into a Name Brand School.
And yes, these parents exist......look at the types of colleges AG Bell scholarship winners get into....they're usually very prestigious Name Brand colleges.

How is wanting every good thing for your child a bad thing?

I am spending thosands of dollars to go to a private oral school for 6 weeks this summer. We have paid THOSANDS of dollars for my daughter to get private therapy. We have travelled hundreds of thosands of miles for audiology, therapy, and schooling. We go to camps, conventions, and conferences. I will give up ANYTHING, and EVERYTHING to make sure my child gets the things she needs.

Am I "that" parent?

Out of curiousity ... so what? What's wrong with parents trying to achieve the best for their children? I have said many times in previous posts that I don't necessarily agree with the decisions my parents made for me, but they made those decisions on what they thought was best. And I turned out well, if I may say so. I do think that if I had deaf children of my own, however, I would make some decisions differently. Does that mean my parents made bad choices? No. It is all about decisions, involvement, and the deaf child. I know. I was one.

BUT when my daughter was using ASL, we spent thosands of dollars on ASL classes, travelled to go to ASL camps, started an ASL playgroup so she could socialize with other ASL users. We changed churches, made new friends, made sure she always had interpreters, and when she didn't we interpreted for her. We found TV shows in ASL, captioned movies, and bought workbook, books and videos in ASL. We had Deaf mentors and had our families take lessons too. We gathered family and neighbors and held signing classes for them.

We did everything it took to make sure she had what she needed to be successful.

Am I "that" parent?

I guess you are, FJ :) And I think your level of involvement and care is most definitely an admirable thing, something I hope to emulate.

I'm sorry I'm so late responding to the CICircle Bat Signal -- hey, where are the other 2000 CICIRCLE members who were supposed to march in with pitchforks?

Seriously, Jillio, you seem to obsess that the CICircle Yahoo group has YOU on the agenda. You need to take your own medicine and get over yourself.

CICircle is a resource for information about pediatric CIs (from using snugfits and bike helmets to developing IEPs and finding schools) from those with experience, it's not an opinion board such as this. But really, why do you even care and continue to bring it up? Your snarky, uninformed, teenage-level eye-rolling is the not on the radar at the apparently scary CICircle you make so many comments about, so sleep easily.

Too bad what could have been an interesting discussion on this thread is yet again mired in your insults and attacks. You apparently need to keep up some quota of posts, but why don't you simply speak about what you know and have experienced as a hearing parent of your deaf child in a positive way and let that be the proof point rather than attacking and undercutting any differing opinion? Stop infantilizing everyone here and let us evaluate the different perspectives without you handing down Jillio Judgment in some self-appointed role you've taken on (telling people what threads and topics they should or shouldn't be participating in, is that really your responsibility? What a burden to bear).

I don't understand why you are judging Jillio when she is giving her opinion and discuss or debate whether you like it or not. She has a deaf son and she understand her son's deaf perspective. She has a right to be here as she is hearing. I just hope you are not like FJ every time she is so obsessed with her interest in her daughter to listen and hear like as if she is hearing. Now she is saying that her daughter is in the ASL setting which is good and claim that she spend thousand of dollars for all those stuff for her daughter. I am not sure where FJ is coming from with the obsession of CI a lot like asking question "Why?" or the answer "but things are different, she can hear and listen". I am trying to see her hearing perspective but that is not going to help her daughter less suffering. I hope her daughter can speak up and tell her how she feel if she had to struggle with listening. That is my concern. Don't blame Jillio as we all like her very much for her wonderful perspective in deafness and understanding our plight with the hearing world. That is all I am going to say. If you want to offend me, then go right ahead. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back