How to Decide on Cochlear Implant Surgery for Children

Status
Not open for further replies.
The baby's pacifier fell out of his mouth when he heard his mother for the first time! That was a reaction to the sound he was hearing! I think it was really toughing that the baby can hear his mother voice ! I do not see why people are so against parents wanting their child to have a better life![/QUOTE]

So if one is deaf and does not have CIs, their lives are crappy? :roll:

Yes , my life was crappy being HOH, I would had given anything to have not been born HOH!

I don't think they are free to let the students fall behind. When I was falling behind, they forced me and my mom to put me in LD English. There was nothing she could to stop them. Really. Unless she pull me out and put me in a deaf school but she didn't do that because I didn't know ASL.

When I was falling behind in school, I was put in the reject class! You had one teacher all day and you were given work below your grade level so you could "pass" and not stay back ! The school did not want to waste money or time on kids that needed extra help! I wish someone had given me a chance to get a good education! My parents let the school do whatever they wanted with me! I might as well been a ward of the state!

When I was falling behind in school, I was put in the reject class! You had one teacher all day and you were given work below your grade level so you could "pass" and not stay back ! The school did not want to waste money or time on kids that needed extra help! I wish someone had given me a chance to get a good education! My parents let the school do whatever they wanted with me! I might as well been a ward of the state!

That's happens to people with hearing aids too, even they wore it as before they are one years old. I wore hearing aids long before preschool. And I wasn't doing all that great in school. I was put in Special Education English that was way below my grade level. you are not alone. Even I struggle with good education I do not hate being deaf. I love being deaf and being visual. I just hate the way people treat me and deafness in general.

Another thing, I really wish you wouldn't call it a reject class. My brother (he's hearing, btw) was one of those classes and I do not see him as a reject. What they did was use the WRONG approach.

you need to be aware... If your parents weren't helpful to you then, I don't think CI will solve the problem. Because even if you did have CI, it still require alot of involvement from your parents (mapping, therapy, etc.) , and you'll probably still be behind.

OP has trolled y'all. He's sitting there in a wife beater snickering at the posts he's conjured in this thread. ;)

Just busting your chops rockdrummer. What you up to these days.

The school did not want to waste money or time on kids that needed extra help! I wish someone had given me a chance to get a good education!
That's exactly why I think that a Deaf specific education approach is NEEDED. The reason why the mainstream does not work is b/c dhh (and blind/low vision kids), if they need more intense services then just "preferential seating, notetaker, FM and speech, (or if they don't suceed with minimal accomondations)
they get lumped in with the kids who are in Resource Room b/c they are very apathetic towards learning. Yes, some kids can do well in the mainstream.....but those are the kids who prolly would have done well even if they'd been mainstreamed pre that law that pushed mainstreaming.

Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!

How have you been? Don't come here much myself these days as it is the same ole same ole.
Rick

The baby's pacifier fell out of his mouth when he heard his mother for the first time! That was a reaction to the sound he was hearing! I think it was really toughing that the baby can hear his mother voice ! I do not see why people are so against parents wanting their child to have a better life!

Wait a minute. Are you equating having a better life with being able to hear?

Baby With Cochlear Implant Hears Mom for the First Time in Touching Video - ParentDish

I think this video is really touching and that there is nothing wrong with giving your child a gift of hearing!

The video is amazing!!! I was so moved by it and the baby's smile upon hearing his mother's voice for the first time was infectious.

Kokonut's right, watch what you say, one is not allowed to praise cochlear implants on AllDeaf even in a cochlear implant forum. As you can see the anti-ci gang is already out in full force!

Kids have different reactions to hearing for the first time. He didn't know what he was hearing, he just was feeling something he hadn't before and that made him laugh. Some kids cry, some smile, some do nothing at all.

Here is a video of a kiddo I know getting activated. He laughs too.

Meet Cal...: Cal's Activation

But honestly, this is the single most moving activation I have ever seen. It is a girl adopted from China who uses ASL, I think she is about 5, she is soooooo happy. I cried and cried.

Having trouble with the link.....hold for more info...

The beauty of these videos is that they make the point many of us have been trying to say for years in a much more poignant, moving and powerful way.

I think I will sit back now and enjoy reading all the attempts to discredit the video and the baby's reaction and have a good laugh as they go nuts over it!
Rick

OP has trolled y'all. He's sitting there in a wife beater snickering at the posts he's conjured in this thread. ;)

Just busting your chops rockdrummer. What you up to these days.
you are killin me man! Long time no see. I am hanging in there. What about yourself. BTW I have reported your post for being off topic. :lol:

Do you guys/gals ever get tired of these arguments? Wow!

Anyway, haven't visited in about a year and popped my head in. Hope everyone is doing great!
Long time no see DD. Hope all is well with you and your family. I have also reported your post for being off topic. :lol:

one is not allowed to praise cochlear implants on AllDeaf even in a cochlear implant forum.
Wrong. Many people here love their CIs. We support CIs overall.
We just don't think CIs allow total and complete access to the hearing world.

Rick, If that how you feel, then if I have a deaf child, I will praise how deaf he is... on a CI message board too. I will praise how lovely his ASL is doing and how well my child can handle things without CI and too bad your child need CI.

Other than that, I really do think the child was imitating an adult. If an adult wasn't smiling or make cute faces at him, I don't think they would smile like that. although, the donald duck sounds do sound kinda cute.

Wrong. Many people here love their CIs. We support CIs overall.
We just don't think CIs allow total and complete access to the hearing world.
My opinion from what I have personally seen and also from what others have said on this and other forums is that they do for some.

That's exactly why I think that a Deaf specific education approach is NEEDED. The reason why the mainstream does not work is b/c dhh (and blind/low vision kids), if they need more intense services then just "preferential seating, notetaker, FM and speech, (or if they don't suceed with minimal accomondations)
they get lumped in with the kids who are in Resource Room b/c they are very apathetic towards learning. Yes, some kids can do well in the mainstream.....but those are the kids who prolly would have done well even if they'd been mainstreamed pre that law that pushed mainstreaming.

You are so judgemental towards parents and teachers, it is horrible. I work in special ed and I have never worked with a single person who is "apathetic towards learing". The teachers work their butts off to try to get every child to learn and succeed to the best of their individual capacity.

I saw the video of the baby just losing his or her pacifier and just kind of weak smiling. He or she is just a baby, nothing more. Hearing parent think that the baby is responding to the mother just because the baby have CI. Most babies always respond to the mother or father when the baby look at the face and like what they see. If it is only sounds like environment sounds, then that is no problem. No big deal. :roll:

You are so judgemental towards parents and teachers, it is horrible. I work in special ed and I have never worked with a single person who is "apathetic towards learing". The teachers work their butts off to try to get every child to learn and succeed to the best of their individual capacity.

So true and I am married to a special ed teacher but remember this is the same person who said that tossing a hackey sack around a classroom was a suitable substitution for CART services for a profoundly deaf student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back