How old were you when you first attended an IEP meeting as the student?

For clarity purposes: I am referring to points of contention with the school district, then the young child should not be present. For example, at the last IEP meeting, my sons SLP made a comment to the effect of, "I don't think he needs me to use sign language." Thats the kind of sh*t young kids don't need to be exposed to.

Hope that clears it up for those who were confused.

That does make a bit of difference, thank you for clarifying.

Last edited by a moderator:
How old is your son?

He'll be 6 at the end of this month.

I think I'll bring him with me, and a bag of stuff to do. If he doesn't want to listen to the talk or be involved, he can color or play.

He's quite opinionated, so I'd like to give him to opportunity to "speak for himself". If he'll talk about anything (FM system, why he doesn't like HAs, anything going on in the classroom, etc), I would like the IEP team members to hear things firsthand.

He'll be 6 at the end of this month.

I think I'll bring him with me, and a bag of stuff to do. If he doesn't want to listen to the talk or be involved, he can color or play.

He's quite opinionated, so I'd like to give him to opportunity to "speak for himself". If he'll talk about anything (FM system, why he doesn't like HAs, anything going on in the classroom, etc), I would like the IEP team members to hear things firsthand.

I think that's a good idea. Has your SD been responsive to your sons needs? Does it seem like he is getting the appropriate accomodations and services?

I think that's a good idea. Has your SD been responsive to your sons needs? Does it seem like he is getting the appropriate accomodations and services?

I can't say they haven't been responsive.

The services (speech and TOD) seem appropriate The accomodations haven't really been tested in practice except for the FM system.

We'll see what happens as I talk with this new IEP team. The only people who remain from last year are the TOD and the district audiologist. Everyone else is new to one another in regard to DS.

Well good luck, and I hope everything pans out nicely for him.

I think it's a great idea to bring him along so they can meet him and he can express his thoughts and perspective. I think having another activity for him to do is smart. Kids can only "sit and stay" for so long. ;-)

It's ironic I'm reading this because today we had a good discussion at my school about empowering students at their IEP meetings in the spring to voice their transition goals, etc. We're actually training them about IEPs, etc. during our homeroom time. I'm excited about this.

I think middle school is a good age for kids to start participating in the IEP, in which parents and the rest of the committee should make sure the student is able to ask questions, provide input, etc. It's HIS/HER meeting about HIS/HER needs.

The law also is specific about the age the student must be invited, etc.

I have a funny story about the first time...and last time (lol) I was invited to my own IEP meeting. I certainly had the last say. I'll share that story later. :)

It's ironic I'm reading this because today we had a good discussion at my school about empowering students at their IEP meetings in the spring to voice their transition goals, etc. We're actually training them about IEPs, etc. during our homeroom time. I'm excited about this.

I think middle school is a good age for kids to start participating in the IEP, in which parents and the rest of the committee should make sure the student is able to ask questions, provide input, etc. It's HIS/HER meeting about HIS/HER needs.

I have a funny story about the first time...and last time (lol) I was invited to my own IEP meeting. I certainly had the last say. I'll share that story later.
:)

I think you're right in that middle school aged children are a bit better equipped at participating in, and understanding the IEP process.

I don't see any harm in a younger child going, so long as you know the SD is on the up and up.

It's great that your school is doing that. I try to talk with my son about advocating for himself when need be. I'd like for him to have the same kind of lessons your students ate going through when he gets older.

I have a funny story about the first time...and last time (lol) I was invited to my own IEP meeting. I certainly had the last say. I'll share that story later. :)

One thing that I'd love to see for mainstreamed kids(including oral and Sign) in elementary school is something like........I think we need to acknowledge that middle and high school are SUPER hard. Most elementary school mainstreamed kids aren't aware that there are options other then the option they're in. I would love to see something like a try out for every option....ie like spending a few days checking out the res school or trying a local magnet school or a local dhh program. Seriously, oral deaf eductors need to acknowledge that middle and high school are HORRIBLE HORRIBLE settings, and maybe even oral sucess kids could strongly benifit from ASL and deaf/residental ed.

I experience already 18 yrs legal IEP I remember long time ago

My son attended every single IEP meeting involving his education, and was permitted input during each and every one. The input increased as he got older, and the degree of consideration of that input increased accordingly.

I can't say they haven't been responsive.

The services (speech and TOD) seem appropriate The accomodations haven't really been tested in practice except for the FM system.

We'll see what happens as I talk with this new IEP team. The only people who remain from last year are the TOD and the district audiologist. Everyone else is new to one another in regard to DS.

Be sure to include social goals in the IEP. This is an area of education that hearing students get. Many deaf children in the mainstream do not. Failure to address social learning skills can often be the impetus to move the child to a specialized deaf placement. Do not let them interpret "peers" as hearing children. Do not let them interpret "least restictive" as being an environment where he cannot communicate with peers and faculty one on one without 3rd party intervention such as a terp. These things will become increasingly inportant as he gets older.

Gotcha. You sound just like my parents. That's about what they said to me, too.

I, personally, take an opposite view. I think the child needs to understand the contention from the outset of his or her educational experience. It is the only way that they will pick up self advocacy skills. Attending their IEP gives a child a view of his deafness from the perspective of the "others". And he/she needs to have that sort of empathetic understanding of the ways in which people make determinations for him/her and abour him/her based on the deafness. That is how they learn what they need to advocate.

Is a group of hearing people sitting around discussing a deaf child's future academic environment something that child needs to be protected from? I think not. And to see them as needing protection in those circumstances is patronizing and disabling.

Be sure to include social goals in the IEP. This is an area of education that hearing students get. Many deaf children in the mainstream do not. Failure to address social learning skills can often be the impetus to move the child to a specialized deaf placement. Do not let them interpret "peers" as hearing children. Do not let them interpret "least restictive" as being an environment where he cannot communicate with peers and faculty one on one without 3rd party intervention such as a terp. These things will become increasingly inportant as he gets older.

Thank you for bringing this up. I don't think there are any social goals in there right now & that is definitely one of my concerns.

Especially since a classmate just punched him in the face yesterday morning.:shock:

Thank you for bringing this up. I don't think there are any social goals in there right now & that is definitely one of my concerns.

Especially since a classmate just punched him in the face yesterday morning.:shock:

That's horrible! I'm so sorry to hear that. Did the child have an appropriate consequence?

I hope your little guy is ok...

Rivenoak, you can call in a meeting any time to make adjustments to the IEP. It's a living legal document, and it can be modified when appropriate, when there is a committee. Sometimes I'm amazed how seldom the schools I've worked in change the IEP goals in the middle of the school year because goals often do need adjustments. I often get the "dirty look" when I want to get a new meeting to develop/change/add/delete goals and objectives...but there are times that it needs to be done. Nothing wrong with it at all. :)

We have an IEP meeting set for Oct 5. It's hard to get everyone's schedules coordinated!

It's after school, so will be very easy to bring DS. If he really doesn't like being there, his after school program is available. But, if he can sit through a house closing, he can probably take some interest in a meeting where I will ask him to talk a bit.

DS is ok after the punch. He had a bloody nose of some sort and has a small bruise on his cheekbone. It was minor, thank goodness.

From what I can piece together, DS' hearing loss may have contributed to the situation.

I don't know the exact consequence given to the other student. DH is the one who spoke w/ the school & I'm awaiting clarification. Based on the classification of the incident, it could be up to a suspension of some kind. It could have been as small as a talk with the principal. (DH just texted me & said school cannot tell us that the punishment is.)

While talking w/ DS last night, DH & I found out that he's made a couple trips down to the principal's office, of which we were not previously aware. So, we need to hammer out a timely and descriptive feedback method for DS' behavior.

Oh no! I'm so sorry. My daughter, along with several others, was repeatedly bitten by a schoolmate. It took some extreme self control and husband control to restrain ourselves from tracking down the anonymous but hopefully not rapid perpetrator and delivering consequences of our own. Now our little one is moving rapidly along the kungfu learning curve, so I'm hoping her blocking skills will serve her well if such a thing ever occurs again.

Hope the little guy heals quickly!

We have an IEP meeting set for Oct 5. It's hard to get everyone's schedules coordinated!

It's after school, so will be very easy to bring DS. If he really doesn't like being there, his after school program is available. But, if he can sit through a house closing, he can probably take some interest in a meeting where I will ask him to talk a bit.

DS is ok after the punch. He had a bloody nose of some sort and has a small bruise on his cheekbone. It was minor, thank goodness.

From what I can piece together, DS' hearing loss may have contributed to the situation.

I don't know the exact consequence given to the other student. DH is the one who spoke w/ the school & I'm awaiting clarification. Based on the classification of the incident, it could be up to a suspension of some kind. It could have been as small as a talk with the principal. (DH just texted me & said school cannot tell us that the punishment is.)

While talking w/ DS last night, DH & I found out that he's made a couple trips down to the principal's office, of which we were not previously aware. So, we need to hammer out a timely and descriptive feedback method for DS' behavior.
Does he take karate? It seems like it would be a good idea.

Does he take karate? It seems like it would be a good idea.

:hmm::ty:

He would really like to take karate. He likes looking into the karate class window on the way to swim.

I will look again into signing up for it. He has said he wants to do it. I think he figures it's all about learning to kick and punch; the respect and self control needed might surprise him. And those are good lessons to reinforce.

Think I was 11 at my first IEP meeting that I attended, had to attend every year but never understood what it was for, and I just had to sit all the way through and not say anything LOL

Back