How do you sign "rock & roll"?

What about "classic" rock 'n' roll from the 50's and 60's? No devil horns back then. :P

Because I work with young ones who are acquiring English as their 2nd language so if I wanted to sign that conceptually accurate, I would use the ASL sign for guitar and shake my head up and down as if I was playing in a concert.

But it's non-conceptual for young native English speakers as well. If they can get "Rock and Roll" doesn't literally mean "heterogeneous minerals and tumbling" but a music style as well, I would think ASL users can figure it out too. Many words and signs have multiple (even disparate) meanings, and while it causes some confusion initially kids adapt. We all did, after all.

But it's non-conceptual for young native English speakers as well. If they can get "Rock and Roll" doesn't literally mean "heterogeneous minerals and tumbling" but a music style as well, I would think ASL users can figure it out too. Many words and signs have multiple (even disparate) meanings, and while it causes some confusion initially kids adapt. We all did, after all.

I cant speak for hearing English speakers but trust me if you literally sign "rock: and then "roll" to young deaf children, they will literally picture a rock rolling down a hill.

Older children probably could figure it out. Signing "rock" and then "roll" is not ASL.

I cant speak for hearing English speakers but trust me if you literally sign "rock: and then "roll" to young deaf children, they will literally picture a rock rolling down a hill.

Older children probably could figure it out. Signing "rock" and then "roll" is not ASL.

I'm sure especially if they don't know what rock n' roll music sound like. You have to let them know it is a type of music.

yes, especially when you look up in the dictionary, you'll find multiple meanings for rock. Deaf children will have to figure out on their own what people mean when they sign "Rock and roll" (music)

Yup, that's exactly what young English speaking children think when they first hear the term. It has to be explained to them that it's also a style of music too.

Now it's my turn to ask for sign help. :)

What sign do you use for "rock & roll" music?

I can't get a consistent answer from my local Deaf community. Many people just spell "rock" and then sign MUSIC.

But I really need a sign. There is one person that I interpret for who doesn't read or write, and so I'm trying to stay away from spelling out words, for now.

I've seen some people use the "devil's horns" :rockon: sign upward for rockers, and downward for hip hop. Is that right?

Please excuse an old granny who doesn't keep up with the current music scene. :dj: I don't listen to that music myself but I want to keep up with current signs relating to pop culture. :P

:ty:

Wait a second, your name is Reba. I know this is probally impossable but are you Reba McEntire or just a big fan or just somebody with the same name?

Wait a second, your name is Reba. I know this is probally impossable but are you Reba McEntire or just a big fan or just somebody with the same name?
No, I'm not Reba McEntire (I don't believe the singer is moonlighting as an interpreter). Reba is not my real name. :)

I like Reba McEntire, and I especially liked her role in the movie Tremors. :lol:

I was translating the words:
Your daddy don't dance
and your mommy don't rock and roll

so I changed the "dance" sign from "U" up and down left palm
to
"R" up and down left palm and on the second "R" up; roll the "R" from the finger tips to the heel of the hand
Somtimes you have to improvise. The teacher recognized "dance" and then deduced "rock and roll" (dance.)

What about "classic" rock 'n' roll from the 50's and 60's? No devil horns back then. :P

LOL Why not get creative? I think an air guitar routine
airguitar.gif
followed by a crazy description :crazy: in your case would suffice.

:rockon:

I'd sign it like this cool little rockin' out dude. Minus the head banging.... Yeaaaaaaah, I would move my wrist but not the whole head band thing.... :P

The way I learned rock, years and years ago when forced to sign a song, was similar to opening something with screwtop lids on the top and the bottom, but twisting in opposite directions, one hand higher than the other so that it was angled across your body, while also shaking it. Imagine doing it to "We Will Rock You" and it might make some sense. I normally repeat it once, so I twist and shake (see?) twice.

interesting to reading. surprised what do you doing comments :lol: sound look likes music relate to love cheer (j/k) hehe

Back