How do you meet local deafs in your area?

Hey Brian..there will be a National Softball Association of the Deaf tourney in Ohio this August..About 1,000 deaf and hearing people from all over the country will come so it is a great opportunity to meet deaf and hearing people for a whole weekend. I will be playing on one of the teams. :)

Home | National Softball Association of the Deaf

Hey Brian..there will be a National Softball Association of the Deaf tourney in Ohio this August..About 1,000 deaf and hearing people from all over the country will come so it is a great opportunity to meet deaf and hearing people for a whole weekend. I will be playing on one of the teams. :)

*Tousi sending ASL smoke signals onto gentle easterly winds to arrive during this Ohio softball tourney to wish it good luck.*

hey, I'm from Toledo, Ohio. smile

are you deaf or hoh if you dont mind me asking? in person my asl is lacking. i can understand quite a bit but using it myself is a little challenging. also thanks to eveyrone so far for the great input. i really do apreciate it.

Usually ASL classes open the door for more deaf events and more advanced ASL classes.

I had asked around here and there is nothing. There has got to be something more here in the F-M area.

That means they are immature and close minded. I encounter a few deaf people like that here in MD but fortunately, they are far and few in between.

Thank you, shel! You know, I was feeling a little down last night because of that remark. The deaf people here know about the problems I had with Snickers, as this gal said she remembers the newspaper article in the Fargo Forum newspaper in April 2003. If you want a link to it, let me know.

I was even feeling funny about being a poster here and almost felt like I was wasting my time. But, I have made friends here . . . one is as shy to meet me as I am of her (hint: Maria), as well as Heath (banned). I have Heath's email address, but he hasn't answered. I just hope he's okay. We've talked a few times on the phone, as he's called me through the relay.

However, not all was lost, shel. She asked me if I catch everything in class, even with a note taker and I said I didn't. She told me to get a CART, which I think would be very nice, as I'd rather take my own notes instead of relying on someone else's [bad] handwriting. Is that too much to ask?

Thank you, shel! You know, I was feeling a little down last night because of that remark. The deaf people here know about the problems I had with Snickers, as this gal said she remembers the newspaper article in the Fargo Forum newspaper in April 2003. If you want a link to it, let me know.

I was even feeling funny about being a poster here and almost felt like I was wasting my time. But, I have made friends here . . . one is as shy to meet me as I am of her (hint: Maria), as well as Heath (banned). I have Heath's email address, but he hasn't answered. I just hope he's okay. We've talked a few times on the phone, as he's called me through the relay.

However, not all was lost, shel. She asked me if I catch everything in class, even with a note taker and I said I didn't. She told me to get a CART, which I think would be very nice, as I'd rather take my own notes instead of relying on someone else's [bad] handwriting. Is that too much to ask?

CART doesnt use handwriting..it is a typist typing up everything that is being said in class..kinda like a court reporter does only u can see it on a screen so u know what is happening immediately as opposed to waiting until after class to get the notes and learning later what was going on in the classes. Word of caution..if u want to use the CART, be prepared for your eyes to get tired cuz it is like speed reading straight for a long period of time depending the length of your classes. There are pros and cons to it.I think it is better than student notetakers though.

I am sorry u are feeling down. When I first got involved in the Deaf community in AZ, I already had a bad rep as a snobby oral deaf girl who looked down on them and sign language so when I started learning, they laughed at me and completely rejected me. I cant blame them cuz I was very snobby to them growing up so I moved to DC..encountered the same attitude only because I wasnt "ASL" enough but I told them to fuck off and that it wasnt my fault. Eventually, some of them came to respect me and realize that they were wrong. There are still some that still refuse to be open minded so I dont interact with them. Not a big deal cuz I dont need a lot of friends like I did before. Too much drama..LOL!

there is deaf social at starbucks coffee in santa clara they meet every 3rd friday of every month and I'm def goin this month cuz it's like once a month I see deafies at starbucks coffee but I have no problem with that cuz i always go starbucks coffee on my own cuz there are too many starbucks coffee in san jose... :giggle:

There is a new starbucks opening up in Russellville which is less than an hour from here.

If I can get enough deafies together Id like to start a local Deaf Java Chat where we meet at Starbucks once a month. Nuffin' wrong with broadening your friendship circle.

there is deaf social at starbucks coffee in santa clara they meet every 3rd friday of every month and I'm def goin this month cuz it's like once a month I see deafies at starbucks coffee but I have no problem with that cuz i always go starbucks coffee on my own cuz there are too many starbucks coffee in san jose... :giggle:

Damn.. I miss going to Muddy Waters Coffee House in San Francisco. I love that place where Deaf people interact there. :bowdown:

Damn.. I miss going to Muddy Waters Coffee House in San Francisco. I love that place where Deaf people interact there. :bowdown:

I was goin to be there one time but idiot guy picked me up late and arrived there scrweed things up blah.. I should go there again on my own unless i Leave EARLIER to go S.F :roll:

NO WAY!
I wanna go do that. Know anybody needs a player??? I play in 2 leagues week. I think it would be awesome to go to OH for that!

Since 2003, I haven't been in any deaf events, probably because I was too busy with college and socializing with hearing people. I have a ton of college buddies and I do keep in touch with them via Facebook.

That comes to mind of another advantage ..... my new Blackberry! I got the Blackberry 8703e on June 18th and activated it right away. I have text-msg'ed some hearing friends' cell phones on my Blackberry - God, I wished I had that thing sooner!

I have added 15 hearies to my BB address book, along with 5 deafies.

Start a group on meetup.com. See how many replies you get.

That is a very cool website. :thumb:

I too am from Ohio and about an hour from Toledo. There is to be AD caucus in Sandusky,Ohio next year as well. So you would have plenty of chances to meet us Aders there.

Brian, welcome to the club! I know how you feel. I grew up HOH and the community, of course, around here are not friendly toward me. Long story, man. Too long! Ha. Well, let me put this way, they are still in their own ways so you are not alone. I am not really fellowshipping with other deaf people in Central NY region. I do not go to deaf clubs and their events. I also do not go to deaf coffee house since I noticed it was too cliche and they are still immature. Same ones I grew up with.

You see, I am STILL using my voice even I lost more of my hearing thanks to tinnitus and Mengire's. I understand more what it is like being deaf but I understand more that they are bunch of immature people.

Maybe other people in this forum have good experiences at those coffeehouses but it is not my forte, if you will. The ONLY friend I really can talk to daily is my wife and that is enough for me. She is hearing.

Hey, how about you try to start a party or an event? That might help to show people you care. I tried that routine though and ended up with no success with each one of those parties. I had bible study for hearing singles and it was a moderate success until my good friend died of brian cancer then no one showed up. They came because of him!

So, maybe my advise is to be cool--be yourself and do not worry about others think of you. If they do not care about you, just move on until you find your crowd. I hope this help, buddy! :)

Back