How do you meet local deafs in your area?

Brian85

Reaction score
I have been trying forever to meet deaf people in my area and it is very hard. one of my bets friends in high school was deaf and i would like to try and find another one but it seems very hard. anyone have any idea? also im from toleod ohio if anyone is from this city or the surrounding area.

Ohio? Well, we have a lot of members from Ohio. They'd probably help you to figure it out. BTW, welcome to the forums....

Sequoias has a good suggestion. Or you could try sending up smoke signals, lol. J/K

Thanks for the suggestion! the only thing is my ASL is a little laking due to not having to use it in awhile so going to a local thing may be a bit difficult for em to comunicate

I just check out the state webpage for Deaf (here it's coloradodeaf.com) and go to Deaf Chats.

Here in Connecticut, I meet deaf people at nearby beach and I only see them every year which is not enough. There are a small population of D/HH at my community college (1hr from home)

I have been trying forever to meet deaf people in my area and it is very hard. one of my bets friends in high school was deaf and i would like to try and find another one but it seems very hard. anyone have any idea? also im from toleod ohio if anyone is from this city or the surrounding area.

:welcome: Brian!!

I have tried to get together with the other deaf people here in the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, MN area myself. I met a gal who is hoh like I am tonight and she told me, due to my limited asl, they don't want to communicate with me. You may run into this. I feel that if other deaf people here in my town want to be that way, what they don't know will hurt them in the long run. If they ever run into legal problems, at least they would know of an attorney (I will be one in a few years) to understand their side. It would be hard for them to not consider me an asset. There are others on these forums that are also advocates and I've read and am aware of some of the peoples' hostilities against them.

I've also been told that, due to my limited asl, they wouldn't even introduce themselves to me. This is sad. If I went to a foreign country, I wouldn't be treated like that by the countrypeople that live there.

:welcome: Brian!!

I have tried to get together with the other deaf people here in the Fargo, ND/Moorhead, MN area myself. I met a gal who is hoh like I am tonight and she told me, due to my limited asl, they don't want to communicate with me. You may run into this. I feel that if other deaf people here in my town want to be that way, what they don't know will hurt them in the long run. If they ever run into legal problems, at least they would know of an attorney (I will be one in a few years) to understand their side. It would be hard for them to not consider me an asset. There are others on these forums that are also advocates and I've read and am aware of some of the peoples' hostilities against them.

I've also been told that, due to my limited asl, they wouldn't even introduce themselves to me. This is sad. If I went to a foreign country, I wouldn't be treated like that by the countrypeople that live there.

That means they are immature and close minded. I encounter a few deaf people like that here in MD but fortunately, they are far and few in between.

Yeah i couldnt find an ohio deaf page. is there a way to search for people on the forum to find out if they are from my area? or if there is any good deaf/single website i could use to find ?

I found a local deaf club, started attending meetings, found out from there other opportunites.....

Hi Brian85

ran256 and I are in southern Ohio. You are the lake and we are the river LOL!

sequoias' link to DeafCoffee shows several spots in Ohio.

OADB and other organizations do a lot in and around the state each year.
There is a retreat coming up in September. I will have to find that information and pass it along. I do not remember right now if it is in Columbus or Cleveland.

Of course, you never have stuff in front of you when you need it.

I have not found very many rude people in the Deaf/DeafBlind world here. Jump in and remember it is just like riding a bike - the more you use your ASL the more comfortable you will be.

Try visiting a local college that has a deaf program or deaf students that usually meet at specific locations during specific times of the day/week.

For instance, I just finished college... so I'm not going to be in college for classes any more. However, when I return to Texas... I can still find deaf people at two places. One, there's a bowling alley where they have bowling games and bowling shoe rentals for only $1.50 each on Monday nights after 9 pm. A lot of deaf people take advantage of that deal and meet at the bowling alley almost every Monday night at 9 pm. Two, the local community college has a deaf support program plus ASL classes where they also have deaf lab assistants for those classes. I simply have to find out when their classes are and "walk by" their class room before or after class. From there, I can find out where and when others meet.

Good suggestions Vampy. I do know of 2 other deaf girls here in my direct area but they are Oral deaf - nuffin' wrong with that it is just that I would like to work on my ASL skills a bit. I hope to be taking a formal ASL 1 class next month at ATU and through that I may be able to find out about local deaf events in my state. You can try that route plus you get the added benefit of working on your ASL skills at least once a week. Usually ASL classes open the door for more deaf events and more advanced ASL classes.

Hey Brian.. Try go to Toledo Deaf Club there more deaf ppl go there but not alway.. Since i m from same ur hometown too also i m not sure if i know you from anywhere or not?? Like Seq said You can try go to Deaf chat coffee ohio it's might find more deaf ppl in there or not... Or There will have Deaf aware day on 4th of aug at Cedar Point You might can meet deaf and hoh ppl there ;) which i m plan go next month

Oh yeah the link to Deaf Chat Coffee is VERY good -- I just found two regular Deat get-togethers within a 2 hour drive. I may head over to the Ft Smith one sometime.

Check out your local deaf services center and ask for any current deaf events like amusment park deaf social, coffee social and deaf clubs. They will be willing to help you out. You can also ask some members from that area where the deaf socials start.

hey, I'm from Toledo, Ohio. smile

Back