How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

Wow...we endured such horrors by being mainstreamed. Iam thinking.."what was wrong with those people who called themselves teachers who trated children like you all were treated???!!"

I hope my students won't say stuff like that about me when they r adults. I try had to be aware of their issues and be sensitive to their feelings. *crossing fingers*

As long as you are not mocking and belittling them and really care about their future, you are fine!

Actually, the whole being labeled as special ed and being lumped in with the Resource Room slackers is exactly the reason why I am NEVER going to mainstream my dhh kids!

I don't see Special Education as bad and it is just special needs for children.

Of course, I grew up in special education during 1990's and 2000's so I just don't care about this word.

I don't see Special Education as bad and it is just special needs for children.

Of course, I grew up in special education during 1990's and 2000's so I just don't care about this word.

I grew up in the 50's and Special Education was not a good thing then.

Meh.......My Government teach spelled it Goverment.....Got in trouble for pointing that out too.

My english teacher "axed quashtions"

My football coach didn't allow practice to end until someone fought or someone bled.

My typing teacher and accounting teacher were the same person (Real bitch too)

My Trig teacher flirted with me and when I told her my GF didn't like it she recomended me for VoTech even though I had a 4.0.....took me 2 days to get back into regular classes.

My Driver's Ed teacher drank during class. Kept it in a Listerine bottle.

Point.....everyone has their school horror stories.

I haven't read this entire thread but I will chime in with my OPINION.

I was in the 'special ed' classes. and I was HORRIBLY TEASED because of it. I was bused to a 'special' school, in a different town. Far away from any of my peers. I wasn't 'allowed' back into my own school district till I was in the 8th grade. And still I was in segregated classes. To this day, I CANNOT receive a copy of my IEP without my parents permission and/or release signature, and I am 37yrs old. I have been told this cause my classification was emotionally disturbed, and my IEP has been legally sealed.

Meh.......My Government teach spelled it Goverment.....Got in trouble for pointing that out too.

My english teacher "axed quashtions"

My football coach didn't allow practice to end until someone fought or someone bled.

My typing teacher and accounting teacher were the same person (Real bitch too)

My Trig teacher flirted with me and when I told her my GF didn't like it she recomended me for VoTech even though I had a 4.0.....took me 2 days to get back into regular classes.

My Driver's Ed teacher drank during class. Kept it in a Listerine bottle.

Point.....everyone has their school horror stories.

I have average middle and high school teachers that everyone got in Math, social studies, science, etc. -- and I can see the big differences. I have one ONE LD CLASS and that's English. There were were two more special education classes that was more self contained in my school that I never been in it. But A lot of my friends, including my own little brother, were in it (they also write notes for me because they know I'm deaf, but I could see how they struggle) everyone made fun of my friends. The other self contained was more self-contained than my friends and brother, it was for people with down syndrome and things like that but they had separate lunch and everything so it is like they are invisible from our view. Every once a while, I see them walking down the hall and everyone loves to poke fun of them.

It ain't cool, and being denial about it isn't helping.

If you think it is all dandy and good, then you should have NO problem with teachers signing you up for those classes.

Last edited:
Ok then what is the solution? Shel had a brilliant suggestion so how do we go about implementing it? Who here knows the shcool system and how to invoke change within it. Shel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in Special Ed in elementary school and through that time and in middle school <about 7th and 8th grade here> I was scared all the time. I was in pull-out Speech and all the full-time "special ed" students actually had their own section in the school; their own playground, their own buses, their own teachers; sat in in own section at lunch. That wing of the school even smelled different to me at the time. Of course everyone knew that "something" was going on when my speech teacher would come to get me during class. Once we tried where I would leave myself to go to Resource Room, but I didn't know how to read the clock and was ashamed and scared to tell anyone. So my speech teacher came to get me and asked, "how come you're late?" and I admitted I couldn't read the clock. Nothing came of that<not diagnosed with LD til college> . I was called all kinds of names and physically bullied especially in middle school. The other thing was, I sat in math classes and couldn't get a damn thing. So there was the sense of isolation and fear from how things were done by the system and then there was the same from what happened when I would continually watch everybody else "get it" and not understand.

so I'm wondering about another word also....but why even separate the two in terms of "public" classification? As in - at the school itself? <don't necessarily mean for legal/administrative purposes> :hmm: brainstorming.... make it be more "matter of fact" so the kids don't latch onto the labels and consider it "mysterious", "weird", "scary" - yes, "special" etc.

If you are mainstreamed then you wouldn't have that label, would you? I thought mainstreamed and special ed are mutually exclusive.
Nope... my son has CP and Ehlors-Danlos Syndrome, and has always been in "Mainstream" classes..he has physicalL disabilities and, because he requires assistance, falls under that "Special Needs/ Special Ed." umbrella....

I don't know where you guys went to school, but no one announced "Special Ed coming through" when my students go to class.

So, what is the solution? Just allow kids to fail because we don't give them the appropriate accomidations to succeed?
It's not a matter of not providing the necessary accommodations/ support...it's a matter of being more sensitive and seeing someone as a child first and foremost, as opposed to a label.

Or just call it classes like the others. Just have no special names for them.

Just keep the IEPs for the files.
:cheers: you rock!

Will you're very lucky no one announced "Special Ed coming through" in your school as my teacher did announced "Reject class coming announced " right in the hallway so the all the other kids would know we were the 'Reject students'!! Our teacher was a fucking bitch ,and love to made kids cry.
She was reading story to the class one called 'Homer and the Donut Machine', and we were LOL , and boy was really LOL very loud and out teacher stopped reading and said to the boy " the class is not laughingat the story, they're laughing at you!" And the whole class stopped laughing , we felt horrible for the boy as we were NOT laughing at him. Special ed teachers in my school were bitches.
What a BITCH. I feel ill just reading this. My sons grade 1 teacher HATED having him in her room because she had to make his wheelchair fit, and had to adjust how she taught to be able to include him... she once said, "Just how much do I have to change for ONE child????" Sad that someone like her is a teacher. :(

feisty chimpmunks agreed. IEPs and special ed accomondations aren't just for kids with intellectucal or learning disabilites. An academicly on par blind/low vision kid could have an IEP for access to blind/low vision services (like Braille, O&M training etc)

I could go with that.

My niece did not want her school record to say she was a special need student. She did not want people to treat her like was not smart as she has asperger's. Some people think if you have asperger's you're not very smart.

Ok then what is the solution? Shel had a brilliant suggestion so how do we go about implementing it? Who here knows the shcool system and how to invoke change within it. Shel?
And the solution is....................................??????

I noticed that some of the kids have the same teacher and class all day EVERY year in middle and high school. I go different classes with different teachers all day, even though I had the same LD English teacher every year. they seem to stay there for English math, sometime social studies.. I think staying as the same class and teacher all day in every year make it too obvious. Why do they need one teacher for every subjects?

I think there was only one teacher for all the classes to save money. The special ed class in my school did not have a lot of students , we had a small room that stayed in all day ,we did get have art classes with the art teacher,but she was a drunk. She would sneak out of class and couple of times and come back in the class wiping her mouth off with the back of her hand. It would have cost more money to hire a teacher for each subject. The special ed students were second class citizens in my school.

Back