How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

Enhanced Learning/Education? Focus Learning/Education? Individualized Education?

Or.... make "Special ed" very very special.. like offering real forensic classes where the school doesnt offer it.

nice gadgets to make visual learning amazingly possible.. make special ed the envy of the school. Not a projection of the little kids blowing snotbubbles.

I rest my case!!

When I worked as a teacher aid for a self-contained deaf program at a public school, they had classes for students with behavior and emotional problems. They were called "Alternate Schools"

The kids nicknamed it "Jailbird School"

It is a tough tough situation but really, it is all up to the adults working in the schools on how to be sensitive to the kids' needs and feelings. Going around and saying that this child is a special needs child or special ed child is not helping at all.

When I worked as a teacher aid for a self-contained deaf program at a public school, they had classes for students with behavior and emotional problems. They were called "Alternate Schools"

The kids nicknamed it "Jailbird School"

It is a tough tough situation but really, it is all up to the adults working in the schools on how to be sensitive to the kids' needs and feelings. Going around and saying that this child is a special needs child or special ed child is not helping at all.
I completly agree with you Shel. But you did re-enforce a point I was desperatly trying to make about not being able to please everone.

I completly agree with you Shel. But you did re-enforce a point I was desperatly trying to make about not being able to please everone.

Right...that's is why I said it is very sticky. It is not about pleasing the adults.

It is about the children's self-esteem. We cant contribute in furthuring damaging their self-esteem. They got more than enough on their plates already.

We need to come up with a solution and maybe we can propose something to Congress.

This is not about our own egos...Iam sure you already know that. :)

Right...that's is why I said it is very sticky. It is not about pleasing the adults.

It is about the children's self-esteem. We cant contribute in furthuring damaging their self-esteem. They got more than enough on their plates already.

We need to come up with a solution and maybe we can propose something to Congress.

This is not about our own egos...Iam sure you already know that. :)
I agree and those are horrible teachers that would do such things. It's really sad becuase you would expect the teachers to be the most compassionate.

I don't know where you guys went to school, but no one announced "Special Ed coming through" when my students go to class.

So, what is the solution? Just allow kids to fail because we don't give them the appropriate accomidations to succeed?

Will you're very lucky no one announced "Special Ed coming through" in your school as my teacher did announced "Reject class coming announced " right in the hallway so the all the other kids would know we were the 'Reject students'!! Our teacher was a fucking bitch ,and love to made kids cry.
She was readinng story to the class one called 'Homer and the Donut Machine', and we were LOL , and boy was really LOL very loud and out teacher stopped reading and said to the boy " the class is not laughingat the story, they're laughing at you!" And the whole class stopped laughing , we felt horrible for the boy as we were NOT laughing at him. Special ed teachers in my school were bitches.

I agree and those are horrible teachers that would do such things. It's really sad becuase you would expect the teachers to be the most compassionate.

Because of my experience, I TRY so hard to be sensitive to my students needs. Even at the deaf school where I work at, we have a special needs program and yes, the deaf kids pick up on that and bully those who need of a more individual education.

I know that some issues are obvious to other kids like deafness, blindness, CP and etc and there is nothing we can to about it but I dont want to contribute to calling more attention to their additional needs with labels like special ed and etc.

Will you're very lucky no one announced "Special Ed coming through" in your school as my teacher did announced "Reject class coming announced " right in the hallway so the all the other kids would know we were the 'Reject students'!! Our teacher was a fucking bitch ,and love to made kids cry.
She was readinng story to the class one called 'Homer and the Donut Machine', and we were LOL , and boy was really LOL very loud and out teacher stopped reading and said to the boy " the class is not laughingat the story, they're laughing at you!" And the whole class stopped laughing , we felt horrible for the boy as we were NOT laughing at him. Special ed teachers in my school were bitches.

I was lucky..none of my teachers went that far to be that cruel when I was growing up. That teacher sounded like someone who was a child abuser and should NOT be teaching, period!

My teachers who called me special because of my deafness thought they were boosting my self-esteem but when they were making it worse. I dont know if they realized that.

My school life was hell and I was terrified the whole time. Being different was less than no fun.

I am sorry this happen to you, I know what you mean as going to school was HELL for me . No child school be terrified of going school or being terrified of anything! It should not hurt to be a child.

Because of my experience, I TRY so hard to be sensitive to my students needs. Even at the deaf school where I work at, we have a special needs program and yes, the deaf kids pick up on that and bully those who need of a more individual education.

I know that some issues are obvious to other kids like deafness, blindness, CP and etc and there is nothing we can to about it but I dont want to contribute to calling more attention to their additional needs with labels like special ed and etc.

I noticed that some of the kids have the same teacher and class all day EVERY year in middle and high school. I go different classes with different teachers all day, even though I had the same LD English teacher every year. they seem to stay there for English math, sometime social studies.. I think staying as the same class and teacher all day in every year make it too obvious. Why do they need one teacher for every subjects?

Congress just recently passed the legislation to ban the word "mental retardation" from federal laws

Thanks, I could not remember the whole thing ,I think it is great that the kids were able to get this law pass.

I think FJ misunderstood the point of your thread but at the end, she does want our input on how to change this problem. Just a heads up. :)

I am trying to think of a better word to use than special ed. I think no matter what word it used the other kids are going to know a child getting more help than the rest of the class. Maybe if the teachers in kindergarten had students help a child that needed extra help ,the other students will feel good about helping that child and learn that is ok for person to need more help.

It's not nessarily the label that's the problem. I think it's more like the fact that maxstreamed /solotaire dhh (and other kids with more classic disabilites) get lumped in with the Resource Room kids. While there are some Resource Room kids who do have legit issues (ie may be slow learner, or an LD or ADD or whatever) there are quite a few kids who are in the Resource Room simply b/c it's a dumping ground. Sad but true. That's a HUGE reason why mainstream (non dhh program) ed has not worked!
There's also the fact that most special ed teachers get minimal training on how to teach kids with more classic disabilites. So when we don't respond to minimal accomondation approach, we get told we're lazy or that we're not going to acheive or whatever.
I think services for kids with classic disabilites need to be administered by a different "board" rather then special ed. Also, mandate that the new board have a teacher of whatever the disabilty is (eg a TOD from the state Deaf School or a TBVI from the state Blind School, or someone from ARC or UCP or whatever)
Heck, I got the attitude that I was a "speshal ed kid" I distinctly remember being in HONORS Latin class, and a girl asking me VERY seriously if I was going to a "special school after graduation!?!?! If a kid like me (deaf,LD and GIFTED) got that, I don't even want to know what an average dhh mainstreamed kid goes through!

I was lucky..none of my teachers went that far to be that cruel when I was growing up. That teacher sounded like someone who was a child abuser and should NOT be teaching, period!

My teachers who called me special because of my deafness thought they were boosting my self-esteem but when they were making it worse. I dont know if they realized that.

I agree, the woman should never had been a teacher. She told me if I was
alive in the 1800's I would had be hung for being a witch! I was over weigh and had long hair . Gee and I wonder why I hated going to school so much!!

My TOD in high school was a witch. You can substitute the W for something else if you like ;) Seriously she was not nice, she yelled at me all the time, and if I told her a story about something that happened at home or with other kids, etc., she would always say I was lying. She had no justification for that, though, so I hated that. She used to be able to bring me to tears. One time she wasn't satisfied with my "homework" and felt that I was not getting enough time to do it in study hall so she left me for a few minutes and went to yell at the study hall teacher, and she did so in front of all the students. All the kids knew who she was so that totally humiliated me.

My TOD in high school was a witch. You can substitute the W for something else if you like ;) Seriously she was not nice, she yelled at me all the time, and if I told her a story about something that happened at home or with other kids, etc., she would always say I was lying. She had no justification for that, though, so I hated that. She used to be able to bring me to tears. One time she wasn't satisfied with my "homework" and felt that I was not getting enough time to do it in study hall so she left me for a few minutes and went to yell at the study hall teacher, and she did so in front of all the students. All the kids knew who she was so that totally humiliated me.

I have no trouble calling my teacher a bitch , I use wear a body hearing aid and I would made it feed back in class to drive my teacher nut! She was never able find out were the sound was coming from. The rest of the kids knew but they did not tell the teacher as they hated her too! It felt great to get back at her.

The only teacher who yelled at me wasn't even a special education teacher, she was just a public school kindergarten teacher who never dealt with deaf children. My special ed teachers were pretty nice and caring. I still didn't like the "LEARNING DISABILITY CLASS" sign though. We already know what kind of class we were in.

It was a very difficult class to be in because most of them were football players (and cute guys) and they loved to mock me for fun.

Back