How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

Have you ever considered that those "apathetic" learners are that way because they have been failed? I work with kids (adults really) who have learning disabilities, but mostly, are where they are because they have been failed so much that they have completely given up. If you are told you are stupid enough, you eventually believe it and give up.

+1

Ohmigosh, I just agreed with FJ.

DD, with all due respect, I remember thinking I sure as hell don't want you to be my advocate when you go off on these rants about LD students or other disablities. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that.

I wouldn't want her an an advocate for the Deaf even.

Sorry to say...

But I would be lumped in with the "multihandicapped" or "learning disabled" back in the 90s.

I think there are a lot of kids who are also apathetic towards learning because they HAVEN'T been held back when they should have been. I don't know about other school systems, but here kids don't fail until high school. So if they can't read in grade one or two, they don't get kept back a year, they just keep getting moved ahead to the next grade level... and falling further and further behind. They KNOW they can't do what their peers are doing, and so they feel stupid and just give up.

and faire joure.......if LD kids with real issues are being underserved in the mainstream, then why do you think that a dhh kid will be served well in the mainstream? The most common issue seen in resource rooms is LDs!

When did I advocate for deaf children t be placed in a multi categorical self-contained classroom in the mainstream? When? Never.

Again, my students have made it to their 20's and are mostly unable to red and write. Yeah, some of them are drug addicts, some have a history of crime (mostly theft or drugs) and some have even been violent in the past. But do they want to learn? Absolutely yes! Do they struggle and give up a lot? Of course. Do they pretend to understand so they don't feel stupid? All day, every day. Do sometimes they get mad and refuse to work because they are overwhelmed and scared and feel like failures, yes, of course.

So, again, please stop labeling people you don't understand and things you don't have experience with.

I did not like being called a 'Special Ed's student when I was in school as the teachers did not want to spend any time helping a student labeled as kid that could not learn.
How do you feel about the tilte 'Special Ed's till being used today?

I hated it so much. They tried to put me in the special needs class, needless to say I was kicked out of that class for correcting the teacher on many of her math mistakes :lol:

I always hated it, but there were no other deaf/hoh students at any school I went to up until college, so I dont think they knew what to do with me.

FJ, I missed or didn't know that you worked with adults with LD - I really appreciate that because I know what it's like to struggle and to refuse to do something because I don't understand. I recall back about 8th/9th grade, we had gym "units" or blocks of study topics like so many weeks for volleyball, etc. I refused to play volleyball for a span of time because for years during gym sports I had been physically bullied and screamed at, and made to play by adults when I didn't understand the games and had trouble with the sequences, was un-coordinated and clumsy and always scared. So there was this time frame when I refused to play and no one asked me why, adults just thought I was being stubborn or un-attentive and I got in trouble for it, and made to continue <attempting> to play.
I sure did always hate being in Special Ed cuz even though I was in Pull-out, the whole section that included the RR and the self-contained classes was in a whole different wing of the school, so that the "general ed" kids were not allowed into. So that just made my treatment by peers so much worse for me because that area - and by extention, me - was "weird", "scary" and so forth.

I did not like being called a 'Special Ed's student when I was in school as the teachers did not want to spend any time helping a student labeled as kid that could not learn.
How do you feel about the tilte 'Special Ed's till being used today?

I guess you can't fix the headline once it up.

My deaf son was and still is infuriated with that label. As well as disabled, handicapped...etc.

When did I advocate for deaf children t be placed in a multi categorical self-contained classroom in the mainstream? When? Never.
You have by assuming that mainstreaming ALWAYS= equates an on par education for dhh kids. If a dhh kid is a solotaire mainstreamer, they'll get services (and thus lumped in with general sped students) through a multi categorical Resource Room. And the gross majority of dhh kids DO still get special ed services. Even hoh kids get specia ed services Remember the mainstream is very one size fits all when it comes to education. Even gifted kids struggle in the mainstream you know.
Again, my students have made it to their 20's and are mostly unable to red and write. Yeah, some of them are drug addicts, some have a history of crime (mostly theft or drugs) and some have even been violent in the past. But do they want to learn? Absolutely yes! Do they struggle and give up a lot? Of course. Do they pretend to understand so they don't feel stupid? All day, every day. Do sometimes they get mad and refuse to work because they are overwhelmed and scared and feel like failures, yes, of course
So, again, please stop labeling people you don't understand and things you don't have experience with. .
WTF? So you work with kids who are the type of kids you'd see in juvie right? I was NOT EVEN talking about that population at ALL!!! That population is distinct from even garden variety behavoiral issues, you'd see in a Resource Room. Granted they do make up a large caseload of adolescent severe behavorial issues. (I have a friend who had to go to a mental insistution for severe depression and almost every kid there was in it for drug or liquior abuse. I also have a friend who works at one of those behavorial health schools, and he says most of his students are drug abusers or abuse liquior.) And helll.....my mom was a social worker when I was little, AND now works as an RN in an inner city . You obviously have NO real life experiance of what you would see in a real live public school Resource Room.
Yes, you'd see some kids like your clients, especially in areas like really bad inner cities or in rural ghettos (like a trailer park or whatever) or in high school (with suburban kids deciding to party) but you're missing that I wasn't even talking about your clients!
Heck, I have a lot of friends who are sped teachers.....and they're very openminded and all.......but there ARE students whose ONLY problem is that they absolutly refuse to learn. Ask any teacher. They will tell you the same!

And just to clarify, I AM not talking about students with learning disabilties. Most kids in the Resource Room or who are served by Special Ed are smart and want to learn. They ARE there legitimately. They just learn differently or need specialized interventions. Heck I'm not even talking about students with ADD (who seem to be a perheninal target for rants like this....I even have a friend who's a sped teacher who says that she's seen "ADD" used as a crutch for permissive parenting. )
But I have a feeling virtually everyone who is piling on me is NOT understanding the type of kid who I am talking about. They DON"T have a honest to god learning disabilty. The ONLY problem they have is that they are completely apathetic towards learning. The ONLY reason why they're in the Resource Room is b/c someone equated their apatheticism to the struggles that LD kids may deal with before they are dx.

Wirelessly posted

I am not even talking about ADD.

Suddenly if a deafblind with nerve damage to the left hand shows up in a classroom, apparently they are retarded and can't take care of themselves.

You have by assuming that mainstreaming ALWAYS= equates an on par education for dhh kids. If a dhh kid is a solotaire mainstreamer, they'll get services (and thus lumped in with general sped students) through a multi categorical Resource Room. And the gross majority of dhh kids DO still get special ed services. Even hoh kids get specia ed services Remember the mainstream is very one size fits all when it comes to education. Even gifted kids struggle in the mainstream you know.

WTF? So you work with kids who are the type of kids you'd see in juvie right? I was NOT EVEN talking about that population at ALL!!! That population is distinct from even garden variety behavoiral issues, you'd see in a Resource Room. Granted they do make up a large caseload of adolescent severe behavorial issues. (I have a friend who had to go to a mental insistution for severe depression and almost every kid there was in it for drug or liquior abuse. I also have a friend who works at one of those behavorial health schools, and he says most of his students are drug abusers or abuse liquior.) And helll.....my mom was a social worker when I was little, AND now works as an RN in an inner city . You obviously have NO real life experiance of what you would see in a real live public school Resource Room.
Yes, you'd see some kids like your clients, especially in areas like really bad inner cities or in rural ghettos (like a trailer park or whatever) or in high school (with suburban kids deciding to party) but you're missing that I wasn't even talking about your clients!
Heck, I have a lot of friends who are sped teachers.....and they're very openminded and all.......but there ARE students whose ONLY problem is that they absolutly refuse to learn. Ask any teacher. They will tell you the same!

No, most of my students have never been charged with a crime. You are assuming again. Yes, I have experience in a "real live public school rsource room", I go to work at one every single morning.

Back