How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?

After school.....

My daughter gets pulled out for reading (into the self contained class for the deaf), why should she have to stay afterschool to get her education? Better that she sit in a class that she doesn't understand and then stay after school to get her real instruction?

Good for you and keep it up. It's a never ending job. I am constantly educating others about what I understand of deafness and advocating for my son.

When he was 18 months old he lost his hearing and when some people heard that, the first thing out of there mouth was "can he read lips" I wanted to smack them but instead I told them to go home and turn on the news then turn down the volume and see if you can follow along. Now apply that to a prelingual profoundly deaf 18 month old and then you can answer your own question.

Yep, always the first thing out of their mouths. I used to said "Nope, not at all :D"

Seriously??? People asked you THAT??? wow. :shock:
That suprises you? Ignorance is bliss and I believe that much of the perception and treatment of special needs kids can be addressed through education and awareness. Society in general has become way more accepting of people with differences that they were just 10 or 15 years ago. Additionally laws have changed and certian language and lables removed so things are changing.

My daughter gets pulled out for reading (into the self contained class for the deaf), why should she have to stay afterschool to get her education? Better that she sit in a class that she doesn't understand and then stay after school to get her real instruction?

Better yet: All day classes with her peers, no pull outs.

Yep, always the first thing out of their mouths. I used to said "Nope, not at all :D"
I take it a step further and explain that even the best lipreaders will only pick up 80% of what is said. I also share what others here have said about how long it takes to get proficient at lipreading. I do this in hopes of educating them so the next time they encounter a deaf person they will not be so ignorant.

I take it a step further and explain that even the best lipreaders will only pick up 80% of what is said. I also share what others here have said about how long it takes to get proficient at lipreading. I do this in hopes of educating them so the next time they encounter a deaf person they will not be so ignorant.

80%? I would say that "only 30% of English is visible on the lips, the rest is guesswork" and that it is practically impossible to learn a language that way.

I am sure the solution is anything but straight forward. I don't know that I agree that everyone has that attitude towards those with special needs. In fact I know many people IRL don't. The teachers that were mentioned earlier can actually be causing the attitudes and propagating the problem even further. I think those teachers are horrible for what they did. They are role models that other kids look up to.

My humble opinion is this can never be completly solved but through education and awareness (starting with the teaching staff) can go a long way towards reducing and in some cases eliminating the problem with how others percieve and treat those with special needs.

I also think Shel had a good suggestion and wondered how one would implement this in the school system. It is real easy for us to stand on soapboxes and complain about what is wrong. The hard thing is to step up and do what it takes to fix it.

I called a school in my city to find out how students that need extra help
are being teach and I was told some one would call me back , I never was called back. I guess one way is to go to school meetings in the city hall or town hall and try to find out how the schools are run today. I when one meeting about kids being bullied in schools and chair person was a bully herself! She was so arrogant that is was sicken. Maybe I will try to go public meeting school meeting and listening to what being said. I agree something need to be done to made sure kids that need extar help are not being made to feel bad about themselves and getting stuck with a label on their forehead.

80%? I would say that "only 30% of English is visible on the lips, the rest is guesswork" and that it is practically impossible to learn a language that way.
I don't have any facts to back up the 80% other than what others have told me. Personally I think it must be very hard to speechread and get proficient at it. It probably takes many years to aquire that skill but it does illustrate the ignorance of some people to think a prelingually profoundly deaf 18 month old can read lips. And I agree with you that it would be impossible to learn language that way

I don't have any facts to back up the 80% other than what others have told me. Personally I think it must be very hard to speechread and get proficient at it. It probably takes many years to aquire that skill but it does illustrate the ignorance of some people to think a prelingually profoundly deaf 18 month old can read lips. And I agree with you that it would be impossible to learn language that way

Fact, fact and more fact.

It took me a while but I'm pretty decent. I can interpret for people if I wanted to.

What do you call a school for special needs kids?

In Australia, the word 'retard' has not been used for years and it is discriminatory here.

My mother was a teacher in 'special education'. Do you use the same term over there?

Fact, fact and more fact.

It took me a while but I'm pretty decent. I can interpret for people if I wanted to.

I was talking to someone the other day and I was not wearing my HA, I was reading the guy lips the whole time and I got every word he said. I was able to read lips pretty good when I about 8 years , I could tell what other drivers were calling my dad! I have to be in the mood read people lips , if I have headache or I am really tried , I will not feel lips reading a lot.

as a form special ed teacher

How do you like the label 'Special Ed's student?
I did not like being called a 'Special Ed's student when I was in school as the teachers did not want to spend any time helping a student labeled as kid that could not learn.
How do you feel about the tilte 'Special Ed's till being used today?

I worked as a speech therapist. i worked for special education. technically i was a special education teacher. from my point of view, i adore these children. they are special. each child has a yearly individualized education plan [or program, i forget].

lables limit.

i was in special education my for a few early elementary years. i have since graduated with my b.s. in communication science and disorders. i spent the first 2 years studying biochemistry and molecular biology. that was just hard, boring, and annoying.

but i digress...

i wonder how long ago you were in special education. they passed a thing in one year [i used to know the name and date, but as a pothead i forgot, oops ;)] that basically makes a lot of extra work for special education teachers. their jobs were very difficult and stressful. they worked with more severe special ed students, like mental retardation and austism. on my caseload of 54 students, i had about 20 to 30 kids whose only special education were me. [i hope you are still following my words, i suck at writing]

anyway, i have a yearbook from 2007-8, when i worked in bushkill elementary school. they didn't put me in the year book. i got fired that year for turning in my homework late [not sending in legal documents known as i.e.p.s and evaluation reports [e.r.s], and showing up late or skipping school. i skipped 23 out of 187 days that year. my students loved me, i was a good teacher, but i was overwhelemed to handle the job due to my untreated bipolar disorder. :(

anyways.........
i loved all my special ed students, but not in a mary kate laterno kind of way.
*joke copy written 2007*

Last edited:
Back