How do you feel about going to doctors?

Turtlebaby0889

Reaction score
I'll soon be going to college for psychology, and I want to continue with ASL. I'm not deaf, just an ASL student but I think I might be hard of hearing, too. That's besides the point.

Do you feel weird going to a doctor or psychologist because you need an interpreter?
Would you feel more comfortable going to the doctor if the doctor or psychologist knew sign language?

I would be fine if doctors knew signs - fluently. I have never had any interpreters on my doctor visits (some of them asked if I needed one, I always declined.) Two of the psychologists I used to see were flunetly in signs.

I don't really like going to more younger doctors. I have always preferred older doctors - they seemed to know more than the younger doctors do.

I never have an interpreter when I go to the doctor's. As long as it's 1-on-1, face to face, I'm fine.

I've never used an interpreter at a doctor's office before. So, I can't say whether I would feel weird or not. :dunno:

I never used an interpreter at doctor's office. One doctor I had in Canada was able to sign ASL.

I would be fine if doctors knew signs - fluently. I have never had any interpreters on my doctor visits (some of them asked if I needed one, I always declined.) Two of the psychologists I used to see were flunetly in signs.

I don't really like going to more younger doctors. I have always preferred older doctors - they seemed to know more than the younger doctors do.

I respectfully disagree...the younger doctors are more fresh from school, therefore they have more current information and training. The older doctors are more "old school" and don't always make sure they have current information. A lot can change in the medical field with just a few years - even months. Technology is advancing faster than we can sneeze.

Just my opinion. ;)

I use an interpreter at the doctor's office most of the time (depending on the situation). If it was just a check up, then nah - but if it was serious, like how did I get horns coming out of my head? Then yes, I'll need an interpreter.

I had a really bad experience with an interpreter at the doctor's office before - and because of this experience, I'm a little leery about interpreters. The terp went as far as asking for personal information from the office (which they gave, and that's ILLEGAL) to obtain my mother's phone number and called her about what happened (and that is seriously against the RID Code of Ethics)...to make it even worse (if that's possible) - the information she gave was incorrect. She made assumptions about what happened, so it wasn't all facts. My mother came to my house and was VERY UPSET - she thought I was dying from cancer, etc. which wasn't true. I immediately called the interpreter agency and filed a grievance. I also contacted many deaf people in the community to warn them of her actions and not to use her as an interpreter.

And using an interpreter with a counselor or a psychologist is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. That means there is one more person to know my personal business. :(

I don't like going to doctors, but it is mostly due to the environment, lighting, and other people I don't know being around... I haven't had much of a problem with physical communication with doctors, as I can write things down, and so can they. I have had some instances though, where I did not get back all the information that I had expected, and some times they want to talk to the person who is with me (it is usually someone who can interpret for me, but I prefer to do my own 'talking'...) I feel ignored sometimes when people just automatically talk to the person with me, like I'm stupid or something, especially when it is -about- me.

Well, if it happens again, you'll need to be assertive and say something like "Excuse me, but please talk directly to me as I am the patient here. Yes, I'm deaf and use an interpreter, but it is me you need to direct your attention to."

It happened to me one time...and they were going to give me a shot. I said, "Nope. You were talking to HER not me. So SHE gets the shot!"

I don't usually get interpreters when I go in for dr. appt. I just communicate with the dr on the paper and pen.

I don't usually get interpreters when I go in for dr. appt. I just communicate with the dr on the paper and pen.

Yeah, same here. I usually have some one around for other reasons (to guide me if I need it, and other types of assistance, like reaching things, etc...) though its usually someone who can interpret, that isn't the main reason they are there. It just so happens that they can if the need arises.

Yeah, same here. I usually have some one around for other reasons (to guide me if I need it, and other types of assistance, like reaching things, etc...) though its usually someone who can interpret, that isn't the main reason they are there. It just so happens that they can if the need arises.

Yeah, I would need an interpreter if I'm in a classroom with a teacher, but if I'm with one to one and then I won't really need one. Can always use the computer to communicate to each other with a notepad program or write on a paper or pen as well.

I use an interpreter at the doctor's office most of the time (depending on the situation). If it was just a check up, then nah - but if it was serious, like how did I get horns coming out of my head? Then yes, I'll need an interpreter.

I had a really bad experience with an interpreter at the doctor's office before - and because of this experience, I'm a little leery about interpreters. The terp went as far as asking for personal information from the office (which they gave, and that's ILLEGAL) to obtain my mother's phone number and called her about what happened (and that is seriously against the RID Code of Ethics)...to make it even worse (if that's possible) - the information she gave was incorrect. She made assumptions about what happened, so it wasn't all facts. My mother came to my house and was VERY UPSET - she thought I was dying from cancer, etc. which wasn't true. I immediately called the interpreter agency and filed a grievance. I also contacted many deaf people in the community to warn them of her actions and not to use her as an interpreter.
That's awful! :shock:

I haven't yet - though I have one dr which I might start requesting an interpreter for appointments as they are very soft spoken, and have a heavy accent ...

comfort level - I think would depend on what I was seeing them for. for physical (including neurological) conditions it would be fine, for psychological and counseling type issues it would be personally more uncomfortable.

I'll soon be going to college for psychology, and I want to continue with ASL. I'm not deaf, just an ASL student but I think I might be hard of hearing, too. That's besides the point.

Do you feel weird going to a doctor or psychologist because you need an interpreter?
Would you feel more comfortable going to the doctor if the doctor or psychologist knew sign language?

By the way, if I could add one more thing, after reading this again I realize there is a more important issue at hand. I'm not comfortable with the idea of a doctor (or nurse, etc.) using sign language to communicate to their patients. The reason for this - liability. You want to make sure that as a doctor, that you present whatever information you give, in the person's native language and with accuracy. That's why I always say to be on the safe side, have a certified and qualified (yes- two different things because I've seen terps who were certified but not qualifed and qualifed but not certified) interpreter readily available for your patient. You need to ask the patient first, if she/he would like to have one, rather than assume s/he wants one.

As for the paper and pen method (and using the word processor), Lifesigns (an interpreter agency for Southern California, I think) said it best: "Communication with a deaf or hard of hearing person through writing takes, on average, five to six times longer than speaking or using a sign language interpreter. It is cumbersome, always limited in its content and often results in misunderstanding. Written communication is effective only when the communication is brief and simple."

I never have an interpreter with me at a doctor's office before but counselor (only neccassary).

I only use an interpreter for surgery contract agreement with doctor before surgery appointment and also necassary as well.

We have deaf or hearing psychologists for the deaf who can sign to us.

Wow.. you were violated in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. The hosp violated HIPPA laws and could SERIOUSLY be sued for it. If that interpreter is RID certified (god help us all if she is) I would contact RID and file a complaint. She should have her license revoked.

Wow.. you were violated in so many ways, I don't know where to begin. The hosp violated HIPPA laws and could SERIOUSLY be sued for it. If that interpreter is RID certified (god help us all if she is) I would contact RID and file a complaint. She should have her license revoked.

No kidding. The receptionist was fired. A formal complaint was filed against the doctor's office. Sad thing is - she was an EXCELLENT interpreter as far as interpreting context and voicing skills. She just didn't follow the code of ethics. Because of her reputation, hardly anyone will hire her, and she's on the "unofficial" blacklist of the terp agency.

She shouldn't be allowed to retain her certification.

Prior to receiving my CIs, I used (tactile) interpreters for doctor appointments and knock on wood never had a negative experience. I consider myself fortunate in that regard because we only have 2 terps in my area who work with the deafblind.

I've also been known to bring my TeleBraille (Braille TTY) or Teletouch to doctor appointments, but as has been pointed out above, it is slow and cumbersome (for me anyways -- the TeleBraille also isn't very portable.)

In regards to doctors knowing sign, the only cases where I could see this as a positive would be a counselor, psychologist or psychiatrist.

Speaking of which, I once was introduced to a counselor who signed fluent ASL and led a support group for the deaf and hard of hearing. Based on the feedback he (the counselor) received, many of the group members who knew sign had good things to say about the support group and were specifically drawn to that group just because of the counselor's ability to sign.

Back