HOA says Cant fly a flag in my yard

The other day, I noticed a car stopped at the end of my driveway, and it looked like the passenger was writing on a clipboard.

Today, another car stopped at the end of my driveway. The passenger was taking pictures of my driveway (or the vehicles parked on it). :dunno:

Whazzup?!

Is there a home for sale in your area? It could be that the people taking notes and photos are appraisers and are assessing "similar" homes for market valuation. I see that here often because a number of homes on my street have sold in the past year or two.

On my HOA streets, there's no parking allowed because of fire lane. The street is not that wide... barely fits for 2 way street. There is parking space for guest use only and can be towed away. This HOA is very strict on parking.

I'm getting paranoid now about HOA's, after reading all these posts!

The other day, I noticed a car stopped at the end of my driveway, and it looked like the passenger was writing on a clipboard.

Today, another car stopped at the end of my driveway. The passenger was taking pictures of my driveway (or the vehicles parked on it). :dunno:

Whazzup?!

Is there a home for sale in your area? It could be that the people taking notes and photos are appraisers and are assessing "similar" homes for market valuation. I see that here often because a number of homes on my street have sold in the past year or two.
We identified them as HOA board members.

On my HOA streets, there's no parking allowed because of fire lane. The street is not that wide... barely fits for 2 way street. There is parking space for guest use only and can be towed away. This HOA is very strict on parking.
We weren't parked on the street (although that would be legal and allowed). All our vehicles were on our paved driveway.

AC:thumb: cool! That is SO exciting! I wish we'd been able to have a place built but not to be, couldn't afford - but we at least finally found a place that was built relatively recently - the 90's - and is in a very dog-friendly area. We were barely able to sell our previous 50+year-old house that was in a very urban area with a lot of foreclosures. That's part of what took so long. We actually finally had our old house sold but literally had nowhere to move-TO - and had 2 weeks to find-something...... were actually thinking about renting a camper or something so we could keep our girls <dogs> with us, and then we looked further into the country than we'd previously been looking and came across the place we now live in - one of the homeowner's parents needed daily help and so the husband/wife homeowners moved in with the ailing parent. They really didn't want to move and hadn't planned to but the health problems of the parent happened.

We have woods beyond our fence line and a water area behind that, and then you can see across the road to a farm. This morning I was watching the horses out there while I was in the yard watching the dogs.

Wow, I'm really happy for you, hope you can find some time to post pictures!:D

Reba, at least you found out who they were - but what were they doing?:hmm:

Like you, dogmom, we spent months looking for land to build on that would not be part of an HOA. After 4 months, we found 5 acres. Construction on the new home starts June 12!

5 acres? oh wow, I'm sure it will be a lot of mow.

My parent used to want 5 acres but due to their age, they cannot deal with big yard work anymore.

Dog mom - thank you! We are really excited. We had no idea our search would take even that long. Our only considerations were no HOA, and have either waterfront or some acreage. The rest could follow. We will post picture eventually :) it's about a mile from Forest Lake if you know where that is.

Foxrac - only about 1/4 if this will we mow. The rest is all wooded or wetlands. We're going to leave it very natural as much as we can.

Dog mom - thank you! We are really excited. We had no idea our search would take even that long. Our only considerations were no HOA, and have either waterfront or some acreage. The rest could follow. We will post picture eventually :) it's about a mile from Forest Lake if you know where that is.

Foxrac - only about 1/4 if this will we mow. The rest is all wooded or wetlands. We're going to leave it very natural as much as we can.

That's very nice and I will do same thing if I have a large land, but Minnesota seems have a lot of forests and lakes. I know about winter is brutal - that why I prefer to stay in sunbelt region but it has some drawbacks.

There is negative about southeastern states is nasty climate - too humid. The yard work isn't fun because of fire ants, poison ivy, wasps, hornets, mosquitoes, gnats and venomous snakes. My shoe was covered with fire ants and I was like #%@! at them and there are fire ants in anywhere of our yard.

I had yard work today to cut the big vines and clean the porch, so I had to take shower after that due to sticky from humid climate.

Good luck with your new home. :D

Well, I'm certainly disappointed in my HOA now!

We got our "courtesy" letter today. Apparently our offense was TCS parking his work van in our driveway while he was home for lunch the other day.

It also seems weird to me that someone with a camera happened to drive by just at that hour he happened to be home. He rarely comes home for lunch, and it's not at any scheduled time, so it was quite a coincidence that they came by during that brief window of opportunity.

I also don't know who would be bothered by that. To our right, the neighbors have a large pick-up and SUV on their drive. To our left, the neighbors have a at least four vehicles at any given time on their driveway, including the marked CSI SUV. Of the two neighbors across the street, one has at least four vehicles on the drive, and the other has one commercial and two non-commercial vehicles on the drive, and sometimes a large boat or commercial enclosed utility trailer. On our driveway, except when TCS is getting his van ready for the day or making a brief lunch stop, we have only the two Jeeps parked there.

We have 15 days to resolve the problem. I'm not sure what they expect us to do. A few minutes after they took the picture TCS drove off to work, so it would seem it was "resolved" then. :dunno:

TCS emailed the HOA president (who is his PGR riding buddy) to ask what we're supposed to do.

Oh, come on. That's taking it too far. (The HOA.) People do have work vehicles. What is the big offense about it being parked in your driveway for an hour? Surely it couldn't have been that big of an eyesore. (Unless it was lime green and neon orange? ;) )

Some HOA people are dirty and doesn't surprise me about the backdoor deals with some of the neighbors with money.

Oh, come on. That's taking it too far. (The HOA.) People do have work vehicles. What is the big offense about it being parked in your driveway for an hour? Surely it couldn't have been that big of an eyesore. (Unless it was lime green and neon orange? ;) )
:lol:

TCS keeps his van clean and in excellent repair. It's white with light teal and coral lettering and logo. All equipment and supplies are kept inside the van; nothing hangs on the outside. He doesn't even keep paperwork or anything on the dash shelf. It's "commercial" because he uses it for business but it's a standard-configured van (no modifications like raised roof).

What if it had been a repair van? I'm just shaking my head over that nonsense :). By any chance are there new board members that are overly picky or something like that?

What if it had been a repair van? I'm just shaking my head over that nonsense :). By any chance are there new board members that are overly picky or something like that?
I don't know what got into them. :dunno:

Well, I'm certainly disappointed in my HOA now!

We got our "courtesy" letter today. Apparently our offense was TCS parking his work van in our driveway while he was home for lunch the other day.

It also seems weird to me that someone with a camera happened to drive by just at that hour he happened to be home. He rarely comes home for lunch, and it's not at any scheduled time, so it was quite a coincidence that they came by during that brief window of opportunity.

I also don't know who would be bothered by that. To our right, the neighbors have a large pick-up and SUV on their drive. To our left, the neighbors have a at least four vehicles at any given time on their driveway, including the marked CSI SUV. Of the two neighbors across the street, one has at least four vehicles on the drive, and the other has one commercial and two non-commercial vehicles on the drive, and sometimes a large boat or commercial enclosed utility trailer. On our driveway, except when TCS is getting his van ready for the day or making a brief lunch stop, we have only the two Jeeps parked there.

We have 15 days to resolve the problem. I'm not sure what they expect us to do. A few minutes after they took the picture TCS drove off to work, so it would seem it was "resolved" then. :dunno:

TCS emailed the HOA president (who is his PGR riding buddy) to ask what we're supposed to do.

Have you talked to any of those neighbors (I added the bold) to see if they got letters?

Have you talked to any of those neighbors (I added the bold) to see if they got letters?
Nope. We just got our letter this afternoon. Some of the other neighbors aren't even home yet.

Back