High Blood Pressure

There could be many causes to high blood pressure but as a personal trainer I have noticed that the people who have high blood pressure are addictive to salt! And having high levels of salt in your blood stream is one of the causes to high blood pressure! If you have a similar problem you could always contact me to find out different ways you could change that issue...

It could be that you and Jen just have high BP for no apparent reason, but it was only just noticed. I'm sure the cardiologist will get to the bottom of it- I know I can't talk but try not to worry :)

My niece started on high blood pressure meds when she was 8 years old. Seems her weight was the culprit and my sister in law did nothing to help. She is just as big. That niece is now 17 and has a higher dosage of medicine to take.

some people just have "high blood pressure" - I recall having 130/80 since I was a child... and even to this day, it's pretty much the same. Ideally, it should be less than 120.

When I had my blood work for my CI testing they noticed my blood pressure was fairly high. Then after the blood work came back it showed that my potassium levels was high and told me to speak to my GP. I went in to see my GP and they tested my blood pressure and stated that it was well over the limit for my age and weight and got me on avalide which is a diuretic. It's supposed to lower my potassium levels and in turn will lower my bp. This is a very hard thing for me to get used to. I am not the type of person to take medication, hell I dont even take pain meds or tylenol for when I am injured. But I guess I will have to buckled down and call my gp this week to reup my RX and get used to the fact I will have to take that lil pink pill for the rest of my life. :(

When I had my blood work for my CI testing they noticed my blood pressure was fairly high. Then after the blood work came back it showed that my potassium levels was high and told me to speak to my GP. I went in to see my GP and they tested my blood pressure and stated that it was well over the limit for my age and weight and got me on avalide which is a diuretic. It's supposed to lower my potassium levels and in turn will lower my bp. This is a very hard thing for me to get used to. I am not the type of person to take medication, hell I dont even take pain meds or tylenol for when I am injured. But I guess I will have to buckled down and call my gp this week to reup my RX and get used to the fact I will have to take that lil pink pill for the rest of my life. :(
I also have to take a diuretic for high blood pressure. I hate having to take pills.

My doctor has me taking potassium supplements to increase my potassium levels.

Been keeping track of my blood pressure for a while now. This last week it has been real low for the last week. I am running on the low side. This morning it was 98/50. For me that's a little odd, but I feel fine. I have this fluctuating blood pressure and I have been working hard to even it out. Guess I need to try to get a little more physical now. :giggle: *honey, where are you? I need to get physical....*

I take Ritalin, which normally rises blood pressure. But funnily though, my BP dropped : from 120/70 it dropped to 110/70 (sometimes, while under a great deal of stress, pressure, overload work (legal battle), it drops to even 100/70).
When I saw the cardiologist for suspected pericarditis (which turned out to be a dry one), it raised to 150/70. Thanks God, she thought checking a 2nd time before making any diagnosis, because a raising BP under stress is perfectly physiological.
I saw somewhere (but I don't remember where, so if someone can find it out for me, it would be great) that the 25% of high BP diagnosis are actually white coat syndrome. I exhibit the white coat syndrome only when I see a physician for the first time, and often showing as sinus tachycardia (I don't know if it's the right English word. In French, we say tachycardie sinusale)

Last edited:
After eight months of high blood pressure and 6 months on bp meds, my bp is now normal. Been off meds over a month.

some people just have "high blood pressure" - I recall having 130/80 since I was a child... and even to this day, it's pretty much the same. Ideally, it should be less than 120.

No no !
A normal BP is less than 140/90 (the cardiologist told me it when I saw her in September for my pericarditis : it was a recurrence). Here is a link explaining the whole story of BP.
So 130/80 is perfectly physiological.

Conclusion : stop worrying about having high BP, as there is no reason for doing so !
I think that otherwise, your GP would have referred you to a cardiologist and/or a nephrologist ! ;)

I have to take Lisinopril 80 MG every morning for high blood pressure. I hate having to take pills.

My doctor wanted me eating a lot of potassium foods like banana, kiwi, lima beans, oranges, potatoes, spinach and so forth, to increase my potassium levels.

My doctor wanted me eating a lot of potassium foods like banana, kiwi, lima beans, oranges, potatoes, spinach and so forth, to increase my potassium levels.

Because it has been proven that potassium (called K in chemistry) lowers the BP.
See this abstract on PubMed to know some more.
But this strategy is only used when you have no kidney problem, as in CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) and ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease), potassium may increase to dangerous levels for your body. Kidney function is normally checked when you have high BP, as CKD may be either the primary cause of high BP, either a consequence of high BP (since high BP may damage your kidney and lead to ESRD).

I have a fluctuating blood pressure. Doc's say if I keep staying calm or as stress-free as possible, it would be better for me. I have to check my blood pressure 5 times daily now and fax the report to my doctor daily. Oh Joy!!

I have a fluctuating blood pressure. Doc's say if I keep staying calm or as stress-free as possible, it would be better for me. I have to check my blood pressure 5 times daily now and fax the report to my doctor daily. Oh Joy!!
Did your GP refer you to a cardiologist ?
Because a cardiologist can make a BP holter : it monitors your BP for 24 or 48 hours, to know if it's a true high BP or just the white coat syndrome. And if this fluctuating BP is actually a high BP or something else.
And a BP holter would avoid you to check your BP 5 times a day. I can conceive that it's annoying having to check your BP like that, not counting that you can make mistakes when you use the tensiometer....

that is my dad is high blood very serious!! that is not good! health because cause risk your health!

Did your GP refer you to a cardiologist ?
Because a cardiologist can make a BP holter : it monitors your BP for 24 or 48 hours, to know if it's a true high BP or just the white coat syndrome. And if this fluctuating BP is actually a high BP or something else.
And a BP holter would avoid you to check your BP 5 times a day. I can conceive that it's annoying having to check your BP like that, not counting that you can make mistakes when you use the tensiometer....

I have warn the halter for 4 different occasions. It did not have "concrete" results. The cardiologist has just told me to stay as stress-free as possible and to fax daily blood pressure readings. My grandmother had this as well. The cardiologist I am seeing is from the same group that she had before she died. Different doctors, just same group and with written permission from both my mother and my aunt (they were my grandmother's daughters-in-law), they docs got my grandmother's medical file and I have the same thing. All they are calling it, is a fluctuating blood pressure. It will mostly be in the normal range, but even without exertion, it will raise then drop, or bottom out, then go back up, then level off. I had careful monitoring through my pregnancies and we still keep an eye on it now.

http://www.thehealthcarecenter.com/fluctuating_blood_pressure.html

Last edited:
Try plaintain chips.....YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My mother had high blood pressure , and lived to be 93 year old. She did not like to get upset and did not drink or smoke . My blood pressure is on the
lower side.

Because it has been proven that potassium (called K in chemistry) lowers the BP.
See this abstract on PubMed to know some more.
But this strategy is only used when you have no kidney problem, as in CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) and ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease), potassium may increase to dangerous levels for your body. Kidney function is normally checked when you have high BP, as CKD may be either the primary cause of high BP, either a consequence of high BP (since high BP may damage your kidney and lead to ESRD).

:ty: for the link, Giulia. I don't know much about potassium. I will speak with my PCP about the "K" when I see him after the holidays. BTW, I lost 12 pounds, according to the Endocrinologist. I am a size 14 now! Yay!!! She says that my thyroid levels are very good and that I will not see her until next year. (My blood pressure is good as well... ) That's good news. :D
:ty: again!
Happy Holidays,
Sosie

Back