Hiding the hearing loss....

For the record, what I do:

I make it a priority to SIGN to EVERYONE.
No problems since I do that. :)

Was it me that percieved shame or did others make me feel this way? I think its always been seen as an elderly affliction
No. For kids I think it's because a lot of parents bought into the Oh boo hoo hoo.....my child is SPESHAL NEEDS and isn't healthy and normal" thinking.
Kids and their peers pick up on that.

No. For kids I think it's because a lot of parents bought into the Oh boo hoo hoo.....my child is SPESHAL NEEDS and isn't healthy and normal" thinking.
Kids and their peers pick up on that.

When I was a kid my mum used to tell the hairdresser to cut my hair so it hid my HA.

When I first lost my hearing, I had creative ways getting around admitting that I couldn't hear. Now, I'm more assertive about telling people what I need. I'm still getting the funeral face when I tell people. Seriously! I'm not dying. :mad:

When I was a kid my mum used to tell the hairdresser to cut my hair so it hid my HA.

my mom tell me not to put my hair up on a ponytail.

One time, while I was still little, I saw a little girl wearing a hearing aid and she wore her hair up in a ponytail. I was amazed at her confidence and how she care less if people saw her hearing aid. I tried to put my hair up just like she did, but always ended up feeling scared to do it so I was never brave enough to do it.even though I wore an bodyworn FM system when I was in school -- exposed. It didn't help me feel brave.

Still not brave enough to put my hair up on a ponytail, but I have other reasons as well

There is no reason to hide one's hearing loss.

Yeah, sometimes some hearing people can be real jerks and and act like total @sshats. And when they do, everyone else sees them for what they are.

I believe most hearing people in today's age are very sensitive to people with hearing loss. When I am at work, I wear a name tag which states "hearing impaired". When people speak too softly or move their heads around so I can't speachread, I stop them and point to the name tag. About 99% of the time, the person will attempt to speak directly and enunicate more clearly. Also have had several hearies try to sign.

Once, a woman simply looked at me in the eye and said, "Oh, I don't have time for this. You need to start hearing better." A hearie overheard what she said and he said to her in a very loud voice, "Wow, lady. You're a real @asshole, you know that?" She left quickly and everyone around started talking about how rude she was.

I couldn't ever hide HA's, my hair is always short. I don't think I get the pity treatment from everybody. One reason is because I act in a way that doesn't invite it. My reality is normal to me and why to hide.

I was never shy about telling hearing people that i was deaf. I was open about it and they were interested in what i was wearing and with ASL. And i became good friends with most of my hearing friends from the band who are willing to be by my side if any problems occurred because of me being deaf. People from my town know who i am and they know i'm a nice girl and never is upset or sad or be like: "why did god make me deaf? why can't i be hearing?" and just accepted the facts that i am deaf and thats the way i am. I don't think anybody should be shy or scared about telling hearing people that they're deaf. I mean hearing people is going to lose their hearing some day too when they're old or lost their hearing when they stupidly turned up their ipod volume too loud and go deaf while we already know the tricks of the trade to being deaf :)

I never hid my hearing loss nor felt like I had to until recently (not 100% sure why I started feeling like that...weird). Most people can't even tell I'm hoh unless I say something. I've gotten the occasional "Are you from New Jersey?" from some clients over the phone but that doesn't bother me. I've always found it quite funny. :)

I used to hide my hearing loss when I was younger, I used to always keep my hair down, I never spoke to people unless i really had to, except family and friends. Even today when I'm out and I don't understand people etc in shops I do not tell them I'm deaf, it's none of their business.
But now I usually have my hair up a lot, but now I cannot since my hair is so short :S

i hide my hearing loss im scared to tell them and im i ashamed also..

unique maybe you could re-learn to see how worthy you are and how there is no need to feel shame, or fear.

I remember once I think I go new school, I will not tell anyone I deaf! I will read lips, act hearie, be presume "normal" and cool.

Yeah I can't talk, and deaf life stone. It take less five minutes become total obvious. Lol.

My mom use to tell me to take my hearing aids out before I got my haircut and not tell the hairdresser I was hard of hearing. :roll: I missed a lot of what they said and I'm sure most of them thought I was either a strange or stupid kid -- or both.

The reason she gave me was because "it's none of their business." But I think it was a combination of two reasons:

• She was embarrassed by my hearing loss.
  • She wanted to hide the "bad genes" for the sake of my brother and sister.

I learned on my own to tell people that I'm HH. I just wish I had figured a lot of things out when I was younger and still living at home with my parents.

i hide my hearing loss im scared to tell them and im i ashamed also..

IMHO, it's much better that people know that you are HH instead of thinking that you are rude, less intelligent than you actually are, or something much worse.

When I tell people that I'm HH, I usually do so with a big smile. That goes a long way to prevent the deer in the headlights look and the "I'm sorries".

Often I get a smile back sans stupid comments.

I will always encourage my daughter not to hide her hearing loss from anyone. I hope the way I am towards her hearing aids (calling them her pretty ears, encouraging her to show them to family and friends when she gets new stickers put on, putting hair up most of the time, being excited for new molds, drawing hearing aids on her dolls with sharpie markers and the list goes on) teaches her that hearing loss is not something to be a shamed of!

I do too. Kids definitely take their cues from their parents; the interaction you have with her sounds great.

thanks maybe someday right now i can't. i still ashamed i cant accept that i have a hearing loss at the age of 32

unique maybe you could re-learn to see how worthy you are and how there is no need to feel shame, or fear.

Back