hi, i am from Beijing!

kittyhe

Reaction score
hello, everyone! i am a graduate at Beijing Normal University majoring in special education.Deaf education, to be exact. i am hearing. and i know almost nothing about deafness and deaf culture before i came to BNU. But now, i find this field is so interesting and i am planning to go on to study deaf education after i graduate from this university.maybe i will go to your country. i am taking GRE and TOEFL now:) But before i come to your country i want to know you and your culture first. So i search on google, and find your website. Before i can post, i have read some of the threads. i find all of you are so nice!i have a lot to talk to you,but i have to go to bed now. For its already 0:22 in Beijing and my mind can hardly think any more.
Eager to know you!
i will be back 10 hours later!
Good day!

Welcome to AD! From Beijing? wow... out of curious, what's TOEFL? That abbrev is unfamiliar to me :(

TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. Foreigners will have to take TOEFL if they want to attend classes at American colleges and universities. Welcome to All Deaf, kittyhe! I love Chinese food!

Thank you everybody!Thanks for your warm welcome!I'm skimming on the threads, which i find very interesting. Almost everything you talk about is new to me, and i am perticularly interested on the Deaf Interest Forum because i have been recently discussing the communication methods during the history of educating the deaf in the world with my tutor. After reading some books in this field, i tend to agree with the opinion that we, i mean hearing people and hearing teachers of deaf people, should learn natural sign language in order to commuciate with deaf friends or students. However, in China, there are few hearing teachers in deaf schools or hearing parents of deaf children learn and use natural sign language.What they prefer to use is Signed Chinese, which is in coordience with the grammar of spoken language thus easier to learn for them. But one of the terrible results is that teachers and students cannot communicate thoroughly and deeply. And the students use signed Chinese and spoken language in class, while natural signs after class(So, what we employ in class is mainly the Total Communication Method, though there are some people trying to teach by the Bilingual Method in some place of South China). So, i want to know what the situations are in your country. Do you use ASL in class? If so, how do you communicate with your hearing teachers? Or you do not have such problems for all your hearing teachers in deaf schools use ASL as well? Hope to meet you on the Deaf Interests Forum and talk with you!

Last edited:
kittyhe said:
So, i want to know what the situations are in your country. Do you use ASL in class?
As in which? College or elementary, Junior or High school? I don't know any much about other states in USA but I do know that there is a law in California which require hearing teachers to learn ASL before they can apply for teacher positions in deaf schools. About college, well... depends on which colleges, most of colleges provide the interpreters for deafies if request.

kittyhe said:
If so, how do you communicate with your hearing teachers?
Thru ASL or interpreters or write the note down and show it to the teachers. Not all of teachers will give up their times for paper-pen communication...

kittyhe said:
Or you do not have such problems for all your hearing teachers in deaf schools use ASL as well? Hope to meet you on the Deaf Interests Forum and talk with you!
Well, depends on teachers. Some teachers are very good at ASL & body languages while other some teachers don't... I remember one physic teacher in HS, she is totally suck at ASL... I often fell sleep or daydream whenever she uses ASL to teach us. Many of us complained at school principal about her but nothing changes (even though my complaints caused one math teacher get fired with my mom's help. Hooray!)

tekkmortal said:
TOEFL stands for Test of English as a Foreign Language. Foreigners will have to take TOEFL if they want to attend classes at American colleges and universities. Welcome to All Deaf, kittyhe! I love Chinese food!
tekkmortal exactly explained what TOEFL is, but i bet you do not know what HSK stands for unless you have learned some Chinese! :D

Magatsu said:
Not all of teachers will give up their times for paper-pen communication..

Forgive my poor English, Magatsu. This sentence is a littel complex for me to understand. Would you please explain it again?

I am mainly interested in the preschool and elementary education, parent involvement especially. I believe parents have enormous impact on their children.
Personally, i think the Bilingual Method is not a bad method to have a try in deaf eduation. But in China, things are not so easy, just like what i have mentioned above, almost no hearing teachers or parents learn natural sign language, neither do we have a profession called sign language interpreter in China. So, I plan to discuss the possibility of applying the Western Bilingual Method in China in my graduation paper. A large issue, right? That's why I came here, to see what is the true face of Bilingual Method, how it functions in your kindergartens and elementary schools, and how do you think of it.

Hello and welcome to Alldeaf kittyhe! I'm glad that you've found this site to be of great interest to you and that you'll gain much information and leads here, also, hopefully your stay will be a rewarding experience as well! :)

kittyhe said:
tekkmortal exactly explained what TOEFL is, but i bet you do not know what HSK stands for unless you have learned some Chinese! :D

Nope I dont know what HSK stands for. I will probably need a translator. heh!

kittyhe said:
Thank you everybody!Thanks for your warm welcome!I'm skimming on the threads, which i find very interesting. Almost everything you talk about is new to me, and i am perticularly interested on the Deaf Interest Forum because i have been recently discussing the communication methods during the history of educating the deaf in the world with my tutor. After reading some books in this field, i tend to agree with the opinion that we, i mean hearing people and hearing teachers of deaf people, should learn natural sign language in order to commuciate with deaf friends or students. However, in China, there are few hearing teachers in deaf schools or hearing parents of deaf children learn and use natural sign language.What they prefer to use is Signed Chinese, which is in coordience with the grammar of spoken language thus easier to learn for them. But one of the terrible results is that teachers and students cannot communicate thoroughly and deeply. And the students use signed Chinese and spoken language in class, while natural signs after class(So, what we employ in class is mainly the Total Communication Method, though there are some people trying to teach by the Bilingual Method in some place of South China). So, i want to know what the situations are in your country. Do you use ASL in class? If so, how do you communicate with your hearing teachers? Or you do not have such problems for all your hearing teachers in deaf schools use ASL as well? Hope to meet you on the Deaf Interests Forum and talk with you!

I almost went to Beijing, China to visit with Great Walls but I can't make it. :( I was working at Hong Kong School for the Deaf for six months. It was very fascinated about their culture and language. HKSL is most difficult sign language for me to learn. It was very challenge experience for me. I really enjoyed to staying in HK for half year to meet many HK Deaf people.

I hardly adjusted to USA when I arrived here. I realized, HK is more honor and respectful. It took me jet lag for two weeks to adjusting to USA's cutlure. :)

My friends urged me to visiting HK when they will have a new Walt Disney World in 2005. I wasn't sure when we will be visiting there.

Beijing must be so awesome and beautiful to see great walls. It is so amazed how much Chinese people worked so hard to building great walls for years. A major renovation started with the founding of the Ming Dynasty in 1368, and took 200 years to complete. It is approximately 4,000 miles across China from the sea in the east to the far provinces in the west.

Roadrunner said:
Hello and welcome to Alldeaf kittyhe! I'm glad that you've found this site to be of great interest to you and that you'll gain much information and leads here, also, hopefully your stay will be a rewarding experience as well! :)
Thanks for your warm welcome, Roadrunner!I love this site at the first sight. It's ture! At a first glance, i find some humorous guys, some professional ones, and still some nauty ones... I believe I will keep posting on your site and learn things beyond what I have expected!
Thank you all again! If I can go to study in America in 2 or 3 years, I promise I will find you guys and make real good delicious Chinese dishes for you!I am from the City of Weihai, in the most east of Shandong Province and besides the west coast of Ocean Pacific. Hope you all know that city."The city has twice received the recognition of Best Practices for Improving Living Environment by the United Nations, and last year, Weihai received the UN Habitat Scroll of Honor Award, which is the highest international honor in the field" (from http://news.surfwax.com/worldcities/files/Weihai_China.html ). So I am sure that I will not be doubted to have the intention to emigrant to your country when applying the visa since I come from such a beautiful and lovely and comfortable city. :mrgreen: Back to my topic, what I want to say is that I am especially good at making seafood dishes. Watering? Then first help me understand your communication method and your deaf culture. In return, I will do what I have promised you!Enclosed with some beautiful photos of my hometown.

Attachments

• 2101027279.jpg
    2101027279.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 210948418.jpg
    210948418.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • 210912366.jpg
    210912366.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 0
OK, tekkmortal, let me translate for you what HSK is.

We, i mean my classmates and i when we were at Beijing Language and Culture University(which changed its name to Beijing Language University two years ago, wonder why), first saw these three huge and red letters on a window of our main buliding, nobody knew what it stands for. We guessed it must be related with some standerd test of Chinese preparing for the oversea students. A year later, I heard from one of my Korean friend that HSK stands for 汉语水平考试(meaning a test of Chinese, like TOEFL to us). But we were still wondering what the abbrevation stands for. According to the content of the test, it should be called Test of Chinese as a Foreign Language(TOCFL).Still in wonder for a long time. Finally, i forget what day it was, an idea came to my mind, why should it not be the abbrevation of the Pinyin of 汉语水平考试, which is "hanyu shuiping kaoshi"? :D

Welcome you, Sabrina, to my future Chinese food party in America! You know so much about the Great Wall, even much more than me! :jaw:
I guess you are a girl, right? I remember I watched an English Cartoon called Sabrina, talking about the interesting story of a lovely and magic girl named Sabrina.Have you watched that cartoon too?

Thanks for your warm welcome, tweetybird! You must like cartoons too!There is an old saying in China, saying if you love the house truly, then you must love the bird living in it as well. As to you, I think it should be: Because I love the tweetybird truly, then I must love the one loving tweetybird too! :D Nice to know you!

Back