Hi from Minnesota

greypoupon

Reaction score
I live in MN with my two kids, three greyhounds and three cats.

I'm hearing.

ASL was my "second language" in college, and unfortunately, I rarely have a chance to use it. I graduated in '97 and am a bit rusty now. Not as bad as you might think though. :lol But anyway, I do a lot of volunteering and work with various non-profits, and would like to improve my skills in order to do a better job of reaching out to all communities. Often, in any given situation, I'm the only one around who signs, so I'd like to be able to do it better and get more involved in the local deaf community.

Also, my sister moved today to Faribault, MN, and my plan is to move there in the next year. I'd like to work in the schools and/or community there and feel that improving my fluency in sign would be beneficial.

And, frankly, I've always just sort of liked the language...the ease of it...the naturalness, the grammar (as an English major, I've always liked languages, but of all those I learned, ASL is the only one I was proficient in...I never really liked the others in the same way.) I'm sensitive to noise, and while not HOH, have never heard well, so ASL was a relief as a form of communication where I don't have to strain to hear over background noise, etc.

BTW, I love the emoticons here. :lol

What else? I consider myself divorced as my SH abandoned my family a year ago today. We are still working out the settlement, but I'm DEFINITELY single. :p

I'm very involved with my greyhounds doing meet and greets, parades, picnics, and what-not.

I work a LOT, and sleep very little.

Anyway, HI!

:welcome: I'm from minnesota too... I'll send you info on resources sometimes later this week or so via PM (I've been busy working @ state fair and go to classes) but you can find info @ www.tcdeaf.com if you have any questions, go ahead PM me....

Hey! Welcome to our humble adobe! Hope you will enjoy readng our postings and make new friends here :)

Hi greypoupon! Love your name!! At my house, its an almost daily joke if someone says, "excuse me"........then someone else will say, "do you have any gray poupon?' (from the commercial). Anyway, that happens to be my very favorite mustard!
I have a friend that works in MN, at the LandoLakes place. I have been to MN but is far far from my home. We went to the Mall of America.
Have fun at alldeaf.

Welcome to AD and enjoy your stay, Greypoupon! :D

racheleggert said:
:welcome: I'm from minnesota too... I'll send you info on resources sometimes later this week or so via PM (I've been busy working @ state fair and go to classes) but you can find info @ www.tcdeaf.com if you have any questions, go ahead PM me....

Thanks! I've been working at the fair this year as well. Tomorrow will be day 5 for me! UGH! But I plan on spending most of the day at the pet center with my greyhounds. We'll be outside if the weather cooperates. I'll be the ones with the dogs who have names on their collars if you get over there.

:wave: :welcome: to AllDeaf Greypoupon. I hope you will enjoy yourself on this forum. Good luck with your ASL and hope you can keep on practicing as much as possible. Good luck too with your greyhounds. I bet they are a lot of work, but, you sound like you love it and they must love you a lot.

Happy posting and enjoy AllDeaf!!

welcome to AD and enjoy your stay

i too am from Minnesota 2 hour west from the cities. :cheers:

Is that by where animals barn are? I'll try to find, otherwise u can find me @ dfl booth 12-3 where I work (its on cooper and dan patch avenue, 2 blocks away from gate #5 snelling avenue)... What are your hours?

greypoupon said:
Thanks! I've been working at the fair this year as well. Tomorrow will be day 5 for me! UGH! But I plan on spending most of the day at the pet center with my greyhounds. We'll be outside if the weather cooperates. I'll be the ones with the dogs who have names on their collars if you get over there.

Is that by where animals barn are? I'll try to find, otherwise u can find me @ dfl booth 12-3 where I work (its on cooper and dan patch avenue, 2 blocks away from gate #5 snelling avenue)... What are your hours? Tomorrow it'll be 11 days that I survived the fair.... So next yr will be 12 days!! I'm frickin tired after working double shift again (I worked double shift last fri).....

greypoupon said:

Well, I worked a long day Sat so bailed Sunday AND Monday. I sent my sister to work for me! :lol

Next Sat is our Greyhound picnic: www.nlga-mn.org

What's new? Final divorce hearing today. We settled. I cried all day and slept for a couple of hours. My mom came over and took me and the kids out to eat.

Tonight the boys and I walked to the store to get a few things...the car broke down Friday. My "new" car. (Ex-sh took the other one...so my dad fixed this one up for me. It's a 91 Caravan. Only cost me the $450 my dad spent to fix it. Now I think the fuel pump went out and Dad's in Canada til next weekend.

In other words, life is shit. Oh, well. Could be worse.

Back