Hey :)

pbpara

Reaction score
For once I've remembered to post an "about me" thread FIRST! Wow. ;)

Anyway, hi, I'm Paul, I'm 22, and as it says in my profile, I am a deaf paraplegic. The two are not connected in any way, shape or form. I was born hard of hearing and eventually became deaf from some mysterious genetic defect that my sister has, too, just a lesser degree. I've been a paraplegic for 6 years now, as a result of a car accident with a drunk driver. Since then I've been through a lot of hurt, both physically and emotionally. But I continue to get better and more at peace with myself and my situation every day.

I used to play baseball...but I still like to watch sports on TV. I also like to read and write. I'm currently working toward a degree in psychology, so I can be a counselor at rehab center (hopefully) to keep others from being "dropped on their heads" as soon as they're able to keep up with their activities of daily living, without respect to their mental state. I didn't get psychological help until 3 years had already gone by, and I want to keep that from happening to others.

So that's me. If you want to chat, send me an IM...the SN is in my profile! :)

Welcome to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

If you don't mind my asking, how bad is it?

Welcome to AD! :wave: You can contact me via aim if you wish. ;) It's in my profile as well! :lol:

Hope you're finding this place an interesting and educational site!

Hello, Paul. I noticed that you are from Ohio. I am Cleveland native living in San Francisco (for college). You can pm me if you want to. By the way, welcome to AD forum and enjoy viewing the posts! :wave:

:wave: Paul welcome to warm AD smile and hope you will make new friends in here .. and How was weather in Ohio? and how was everythings going with you? :) i have lots friends who from Ohio and i don't know if you might know who my friends that where they dose to go OSD or St.Rita before unless if you know who or not so you can PM and i will give you answer it's up to you i m respect that :) and have nice day!

Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes :)

VamPyroX said:
Welcome to AllDeaf! Enjoy your stay! :thumb:

If you don't mind my asking, how bad is it?

How bad is what? Paraplegia?

I guess there are two ways I can answer that, if that is your question... It really depends on what I'm trying to do. For the most part I'm adapted, but there are still some things that continue to frustrate me. One of the hardest things in the beginning was giving up baseball because I loved it...and in some ways I think maybe it was all I lived for. I wanted to play in college, then play professionally. Then I had it violently taken away from me and had to find something else to do with my life. Something else to live for.

On the more literal side...I'm a T10 para, so I basically lose all function and feeling right around my belly button. So it could be much much worse. I'm lucky I'm not dead, actually...

:wave: welcome to AD Paul and enjoy ur stay! :D

u are a good role model for other paraplegics -- i wish u all the blessings in ur endeavors to reach ur goals of getting ur degree in psychology/social work :thumb:

pbpara said:
Thanks everybody for the warm welcomes :)

How bad is what? Paraplegia?

I guess there are two ways I can answer that, if that is your question... It really depends on what I'm trying to do. For the most part I'm adapted, but there are still some things that continue to frustrate me. One of the hardest things in the beginning was giving up baseball because I loved it...and in some ways I think maybe it was all I lived for. I wanted to play in college, then play professionally. Then I had it violently taken away from me and had to find something else to do with my life. Something else to live for.

On the more literal side...I'm a T10 para, so I basically lose all function and feeling right around my belly button. So it could be much much worse. I'm lucky I'm not dead, actually...
That sorta answers my question. What I mean was, what part of your body still has function? I'm assuming you still have fully functional arms and hands since you're typing up pretty well in this forum. I'm also guessing that you were paralyzed from somewhere in your back down below. Is that correct?

VamPyroX said:
That sorta answers my question. What I mean was, what part of your body still has function? I'm assuming you still have fully functional arms and hands since you're typing up pretty well in this forum. I'm also guessing that you were paralyzed from somewhere in your back down below. Is that correct?

Oh yes, I have fully functional hands and arms. The T10 part means my spinal cord injury is at the 10th thoracic vertebra...about midway down your back. Quadriplegia is caused by C level injuries...in the cervical area, though some high T-level injuries can cause arm/hand function problems. Paraplegia is in the thoracic (T) and lumbar (L) areas, and you can get minor paralysis out of sacral (S) injuries too. I'm thankful I'm not a quad, though. I wouldn't want to live like that...I like my independence too much, and I wouldn't want to burden my family with having to take care of me for the rest of their days and mine.

pbpara said:
Oh yes, I have fully functional hands and arms. The T10 part means my spinal cord injury is at the 10th thoracic vertebra...about midway down your back. Quadriplegia is caused by C level injuries...in the cervical area, though some high T-level injuries can cause arm/hand function problems. Paraplegia is in the thoracic (T) and lumbar (L) areas, and you can get minor paralysis out of sacral (S) injuries too. I'm thankful I'm not a quad, though. I wouldn't want to live like that...I like my independence too much, and I wouldn't want to burden my family with having to take care of me for the rest of their days and mine.
Ah... now that answers my question. You're one lucky man!

I'm sure I would... I've had a few friends who were in the same situation. One of them wasn't wearing her seat belt. Her car skidded off the road and went flipping through trees and poles. She got thrown from her car with only a few scratches and bruises. However, her car looked like it went through a metal grinder. What really pissed her off was that she got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt!

VamPyroX said:
I'm sure I would... I've had a few friends who were in the same situation. One of them wasn't wearing her seat belt. Her car skidded off the road and went flipping through trees and poles. She got thrown from her car with only a few scratches and bruises. However, her car looked like it went through a metal grinder. What really pissed her off was that she got a ticket for not wearing her seat belt!

She shouldn't get pissed for the stupid ticket, she should be thankful that she is alive!

Hey hey.. :wave: Hi Paul..

Welcome to Alldeaf.com.. Glad that you join with us.. its cool to get know each other and news..

Keep it up!! :thumb:

Fly Free said:
:wave: welcome to AD Paul and enjoy ur stay! :D

u are a good role model for other paraplegics -- i wish u all the blessings in ur endeavors to reach ur goals of getting ur degree in psychology/social work :thumb:

Oh yes!!! I agreed with Fly Free..

and he has alot blessings to be blessed.. and alive.. Up above have reasons .. ;)
I am sure you will have good goal and show the true good role model..! Listen your heart.. not your mind.. :)

VamPyroX said:

she pissed off for having a ticket? OMG!! I wouldnt be pissed off.. I would be grateful that I am alive and not seriously injury..

*smh* at some people.. eh..

MsGiglz said:
she pissed off for having a ticket? OMG!! I wouldnt be pissed off.. I would be grateful that I am alive and not seriously injury..

*smh* at some people.. eh..

I don't have sympathy for people who are stupid enough not to wear their seatbelts. She has no right to be pissed over the ticket. She's lucky to be alive.

She wasn't pissed at the ticket itself, she was pissed at the fact that the cop actually gave her a ticket. If I was that cop and I saw how she survived, I'd just leave it a lone at that instead of being like, "Oh, you survived... too bad, here's your ticket."

VamPyroX said:
She wasn't pissed at the ticket itself, she was pissed at the fact that the cop actually gave her a ticket. If I was that cop and I saw how she survived, I'd just leave it a lone at that instead of being like, "Oh, you survived... too bad, here's your ticket."

I can see his point though. She didn't wear her seat belt, was thrown from the car and survived with no injuries. Thus, she has nothing to drive the point home that she SHOULD have been wearing her seat belt. He was only trying to provide that for her. For some people, only being like "damn, I'm lucky," wouldn't be enough.

I was wearing my seat belt, stayed IN the car, and look at me. Her guardian angel was watching over her that day...she should count her blessings and be glad that a ticket was the only thing she got. :\

Back