Help this teacher! CI advice needed

Yes, I think you are right. I just remembered that we are warned never to place the CI on a baggage conveyor belt at the airport (I don't think many people would do that in case it gets squashed by a suitcase or gets lost but still we are warned).
Oh yes, never never put in the baggage or suitcase. I wouldnt do that. I ll put in my purse which is more safe. As for men, they have to be careful with it especially if they want to put in their pants pocket.

If CI is on or off, still wipe the programs if touch the static.

I've been zapped quite a few times at least once in the head shoulder area and have never lost a map. The static will only wipe out the map currently in use if it does effect the processor. Perhaps the newer models like freedom have better shielding so static isn't as much of a problem as in the past.

I've been zapped quite a few times at least once in the head shoulder area and have never lost a map. The static will only wipe out the map currently in use if it does effect the processor. Perhaps the newer models like freedom have better shielding so static isn't as much of a problem as in the past.
jag, if you got shock and put your finger on the speech processor then the programs wiped out. If you got shock and didnt touch your SP then ya safe!

If you are saying she is creating enough static electricity in her own body and when she touches her CI, she shocks it, the CI is not grounded to her body. Her hair is insulating it to well. I have never heard of being able to shock yourself.

Now if she builds up the static electricity and someone else is touching her CI then yes, I can understand this. You mention she is 3, I am assuming she is wearing a body worn processor. I'd be interested to see how she has it attached.. There are many others out there with small children.

If the processor is body worn, again, it is being insulated and not being charged with the childs body. You may want to try spinning the magnet out in the coil to see if it can touch her skin, maybe that will help. I have no idea. Otherwise, I'd look at the material that is holding a body worn processor.

Look for reasons it is not being grounded to her body. Hope this helps. Just giving some ideas.

We have a backup set of processors loaded up with Drew's map just in case, but we allow him to go down plastic slides all the time and he hasn't lost one yet.

I'm sure it will eventually happen, but we have the backups there to fill in until we can get another mapping appointment set up.

We have a backup set of processors loaded up with Drew's map just in case, but we allow him to go down plastic slides all the time and he hasn't lost one yet.

I'm sure it will eventually happen, but we have the backups there to fill in until we can get another mapping appointment set up.

Hi! Please excuse me for :topic: I did read your son's blog. It's very good journey. How is your son feeling from sick and fever?

Hi! Please excuse me for :topic: I did read your son's blog. It's very good journey. How is your son feeling from sick and fever?

Thank you for pointing out the blog - I didn't realized there was one for Drew. I just read it - what an amazing son they have! And I would like to know how he's feeling as well. I hope he's all better!

I'm thrilled to know that he is able to play on the playground freely without any worries about his CI - especially since you have the laid-back approach. :) I just read his blog. He's a cute kid!

Thank you for pointing out the blog - I didn't realized there was one for Drew. I just read it - what an amazing son they have! And I would like to know how he's feeling as well. I hope he's all better!

You're welcome! :) I love to read the blog about CI and HA. I love to read everything with Blog. Yeah I hope Drew is getting better. I am happy for him to hear. He is same as my vision problem. I has usher syndrome.

Women with pantyhose make gas statiions owners very nervous when they self serve pump their own gas. Nylons create a lot of static and can cause a spark. Living in a dry air climate also causes higher levels of static. I thought the grounding wire in the internal processor would prevent the static from damaging devices for the most part.

Deafbajagal, let us know what color your hair turns and go match your natural color with the hair dye products while you still have it .

smile

To be honest, I've lived with my N22 for 18-19 years and never, ever had to be remapped, even when we had that static warning when I was in elementary school. Did I still go down the plastic slides? Sure. I felt static but they weren't even big. My classrooms were all carpeted- what could I do? I was told to remember to keep touching metal things if I felt "static-y." I had to take off my CI (back then, Spectra body-worn) before I could take off my fleeces (oh that's definitely annoying!). If I knew something was going to cause static, I would take off my CI because it made this weird buzzing noise like I was electricifed or something. I guess it doesn't bother your 3 year old student!

I'm amazed that it still does happen... I haven't even thought about it in years!.

I was told that the biggest issue with the bodyworn is the cable. If the child touches the cable or the headpiece before discharging the static electricity they can wipe the map, or in very very very rare situations (the AB person I spoke to said she has only heard of it twice) it can short out the internal device.

Thanks for asking! He is doing great. The seizure was very scary, but it was just brought upon by roseola and he is perfectly fine now. We just got back from the beach where he had a great time playing in the sand and water (we waterproofed his CI and it worked wonderfully).

I got a student who likes to play rough at school - and tends to generate static electricity easily...her CI keeps getting "fried" :/.

I've used Static Guard and dryer sheets on her clothes. It doesn't seem to be helping.

Has anybody got any tips, tricks, or ideas of what might work? I'm seriously in need of advice.

I'll help!! lol,

Anyways, From my last 3 years of middle school, I used static guard if i got shocked. But if i got shocked more, I touch a piece of metal like the door knob or the chair legs or the table legs. Usually static guard doesn't work is rarely. maybe you need a fresh bottle of static guard from a store?? I never used Dryer sheets. But I used static guard. Also when doing rough play, I ALWAYS take off my implant beacuse I do not want it to get ruined or broken. Because thats a bad thing and it costs alot of money just to replace the cochelar implant. So You really would want to be careful with the device.

Wow, I never knew that could happen, I've learned something new and neecy you said that static can wipe the map; what happens when it does; the cochlear implant won't be any good anymore?

The cochlear implant will still be good you just have to go back to the implant center to get remapped. Now a days newly implanted children get 2 processors when they first get their implant so that they always have a good one at home for a back up.

Why not call the company that makes her CI and ask for advice? You never know what advice they might have :D
This is a great idea. Did you know that most areas have cochlear implant reps that can come out to your school and give you little inservices. Deafbagel you are in Neveda right? if you want I can give you the rep's name in your area, just tell me what implant the child has.

For slides and tunnels there is this special static mat that will take away the electrical charge and it is pretty cheap. I found it on this web site and my school bought it for the slides at school, really works well.
My son is about to be 16 and has had his implant for 13 years and only once has his mapped been wiped out.

Cochler Implant Reps and Audies make house calls ? WOW

How is the lil staticky kid doing nowdays Baja ? I am sure school already started.

At night, I put my CI in the kitchen drawer lol . I put it on when wifey starts talkiing while eating breakfast.

Back