Help this teacher! CI advice needed

deafbajagal

Reaction score
I got a student who likes to play rough at school - and tends to generate static electricity easily...her CI keeps getting "fried" :/.

I've used Static Guard and dryer sheets on her clothes. It doesn't seem to be helping.

Has anybody got any tips, tricks, or ideas of what might work? I'm seriously in need of advice.

gee that is a first time of heard of a person generate enough static electricity with others to erase the programs. I would try a cover like the eargears to see if that would help or to tie the hair in a different way possibility could make a difference. :type:

Wow I've never heard of anything like this - though its known that static can wipe a map. How old is she? Is it possible she could take the processor off when she plays rough&tumble, and then put it on afterwards? Maybe her Mom could wash her clothes with an extra dose of fabric softener to dampen static?

I found this website with a little information in static buildup and things that can cause it. Don't know if it is what you need. I am not familiar with CI's. Cochlear Implants

I agree with Neecy. Maybe wearing a visor with fabric softener sheet tucked into the visor. I get shocked at least once a day, sometimes more.

Does she have to wear her CI during rough play? I would just have her take it off if nothing else is working. Or teach her to regularly discharge the static by touching something metal.

Sorry that this happens.

There are always risks involved with whatever we do.

Did you try talking to her about taking it easy?

gee that is a first time of heard of a person generate enough static electricity with others to erase the programs. I would try a cover like the eargears to see if that would help or to tie the hair in a different way possibility could make a difference. :type:
It does happen. There are some people who generate more static electricity more than others. It also depends on the environment that a person is in.

For instance, there was a furniture store near here that I used to go to with my parents when I was a kid. I don't create static electricity that easily, but in that store... I definitely could! While my parents were walking around looking at furniture, I would simply walk around the whole store and touch my little brother or some lamps just to see the little blue bolt of electricity shoot from my fingertips.

There's not really any fool-proof way to prevent build-up of static electricity. I learned this at a company that I worked for. During one workshop, the presenter had a device that measure build-up of static electricity. He demonstrated it on several devices such as a clear-tape dispenser, a stapler, a stack of paper, etc.

Just from pulling out an inch of clear-tape, there was enough static electricity created to damage a circuit board. Just from pulling out a sheet of paper, the result were the same. To reduce (not eliminate) the amount of static electricity created, they had to use special kinds of clear-tape, shoes, hand lotion, and wear specific clothes. They also had to handle things differently such as picking up a piece of paper upwards instead of pulling it sideways from the top of a stack.

Boult,

I did a quite read of "back to school" and steps four and five have some tips and it even mention that some hats will built up static. I will get a static electrical discharge when I get out of cars sometimes and it never effected my hearing aids and so far never my implant.

Boult,

I did a quite read of "back to school" and steps four and five have some tips and it even mention that some hats will built up static. I will get a static electrical discharge when I get out of cars sometimes and it never effected my hearing aids and so far never my implant.

It has to directly touch your processor to affect it, I understand. So avoid bumping your head on the car door as you get out! :giggle:

Wow I've never heard of anything like this - though its known that static can wipe a map. How old is she? Is it possible she could take the processor off when she plays rough&tumble, and then put it on afterwards? Maybe her Mom could wash her clothes with an extra dose of fabric softener to dampen static?

She just turned three, and she has serious behavior problems...just joined my classroom..and she's "rough" all day long, not just when we're playing outside. A snapshot of five minutes of her day: Get on table, jump off table, tell teacher "No!" when told not to get on table and jump, roll on floor, kick off shoes and throw them at whoever is near, take off clothes (including CI which is pinned onto her shirt), throw clothes, scream, put back on clothes with teacher's assistance, and runs around the room then lays down and scoots on the floor."

Her hair stands up from the static and every time I touch her I get zapped. I swear my blonde hair is going to turn white one of these days from being zapped once too much.

It does happen. There are some people who generate more static electricity more than others. It also depends on the environment that a person is in.

For instance, there was a furniture store near here that I used to go to with my parents when I was a kid. I don't create static electricity that easily, but in that store... I definitely could! While my parents were walking around looking at furniture, I would simply walk around the whole store and touch my little brother or some lamps just to see the little blue bolt of electricity shoot from my fingertips.

There's not really any fool-proof way to prevent build-up of static electricity. I learned this at a company that I worked for. During one workshop, the presenter had a device that measure build-up of static electricity. He demonstrated it on several devices such as a clear-tape dispenser, a stapler, a stack of paper, etc.

Just from pulling out an inch of clear-tape, there was enough static electricity created to damage a circuit board. Just from pulling out a sheet of paper, the result were the same. To reduce (not eliminate) the amount of static electricity created, they had to use special kinds of clear-tape, shoes, hand lotion, and wear specific clothes. They also had to handle things differently such as picking up a piece of paper upwards instead of pulling it sideways from the top of a stack.

So basically there are things in my room that might be generating static. Very interesting. You've got me thinking now.

This is a good thread and very informative. I will save the links provided just in case I have a student with the same problem. So far, no problems with static with our students.

Does she have to wear her CI during rough play? I would just have her take it off if nothing else is working. Or teach her to regularly discharge the static by touching something metal.

I agree hands down! She needs a little discipline to prevent it to begin with, or not wear it at all.

Why not call the company that makes her CI and ask for advice? You never know what advice they might have :D

Back