Help this teacher! CI advice needed

This is a good thread and very informative. I will save the links provided just in case I have a student with the same problem. So far, no problems with static with our students.

Yeah, they came up with some pretty good ideas, didn't they. We're going to have more and more students with CI in the future.

Really? It has to touch the processor? Hmm.

In your student's case, it sounds like the programs get wiped when her stasticy hair touches the processor. Is it reasonably long? You might want to suggest to the parents to get it cut short until her behaviour improves. Or perhaps have it plaited away around to the back. Also some clothing fabrics are more staticy than others, but it sounds like the hair is the problem as you yourself get shocks when you touch her.

She sounds very out of control! Poor you teachers for having to deal with this. I hope she can get help for the behaviour issues soon. Is it a deaf school you work at or a school for multiple special needs?

So basically there are things in my room that might be generating static. Very interesting. You've got me thinking now.
Hahaha... that's exactly what happened to me after that workshop. ;)

Sometimes, there will be days where I suddenly generate a lot of static electricity and shock everyone I touch. It annoys the hell out of my mom. ;)

New Question:

Does using a nylon bag (from pantyhose) to hold the CI (bodystyle) generate static?

I was told by my audiologist about static. If I got shock and touch my speech processor then the programs will be gone. So, I had to be careful with it. Every time I got shocked, I make sure I get another shock again then its all gone. Make sure you get the second shock after the first one.

Why not to question Audiologist about static etc??

Excellent questin. I'm asking on this board because I'm getting contridicting information from CI audiologists about the nylon. I thought it would be good to ask those of you who have CIs yourselves or have children with CIs. After all, you all have the hands-on experience with them day in and out. ;)

Wow, I never knew that could happen, I've learned something new and neecy you said that static can wipe the map; what happens when it does; the cochlear implant won't be any good anymore?

Wow, I never knew that could happen, I've learned something new and neecy you said that static can wipe the map; what happens when it does; the cochlear implant won't be any good anymore?

No, the CI will be fine..just needs to be remapped that's all.

Excellent questin. I'm asking on this board because I'm getting contridicting information from CI audiologists about the nylon. I thought it would be good to ask those of you who have CIs yourselves or have children with CIs. After all, you all have the hands-on experience with them day in and out. ;)

I don't know. Static has never been a problem for me. I always keep my CIs either in the dry and store or the case (looks like a glasses case) that came with the package from Cochlear. I've never needed to put them in a nylon bag. I would probably advise against it, even though I assume the CI is switched off when put into the bag?

No Cheri, Have to re-mapping again with a programs that they save in their harddrive in their puters.

Also, I dont put CI on before put clothes on or get statics. After I put clothes on etc then to check to make sure no shock before put CI on.

I don't know. Static has never been a problem for me. I always keep my CIs either in the dry and store or the case (looks like a glasses case) that came with the package from Cochlear. I've never needed to put them in a nylon bag. I would probably advise against it, even though I assume the CI is switched off when put into the bag?

Not to argue..u are an adult and are aware of trhis while children are not. I have seen CIs get wiped out from static too many times to count. Children do not worry about these kinds of things and I am sure u agree with me that they shouldnt have to.

If CI is on or off, still wipe the programs if touch the static.

Not to argue..u are an adult and are aware of trhis while children are not. I have seen CIs get wiped out from static too many times to count. Children do not worry about these kinds of things and I am sure u agree with me that they shouldnt have to.

Deafbajagal asked for responses from both adult posters here and those with children. that's why I responded. My post wasn't meant to be read as a reply from a parent's perspective.

However, now that you mention it, I do have a lot of contact with static as a parent (of hearing children). For example, everytime they go down slides and play on trampolines they get static and I can literally see it because their hair stands up. I supervise them when they play on such things and have to lift them down etc. Sometimes I go down the slide with them for safety reasons and can feel the shock underneath me. It still hasn't been a problem.

I do appreciate though that for a very child who doesn't know how to safely discharge the static it can be a pain to have to go back to the clinic and get the programs reloaded. I'm not negating the difficulty of this.

If CI is on or off, still wipe the programs if touch the static.

Yes, I think you are right. I just remembered that we are warned never to place the CI on a baggage conveyor belt at the airport (I don't think many people would do that in case it gets squashed by a suitcase or gets lost but still we are warned).

Deafbajagal asked for responses from both adult posters here and those with children. that's why I responded. My post wasn't meant to be read as a reply from a parent's perspective.

However, now that you mention it, I do have a lot of contact with static as a parent (of hearing children). For example, everytime they go down slides and play on trampolines they get static and I can literally see it because their hair stands up. I supervise them when they play on such things and have to lift them down etc. Sometimes I go down the slide with them for safety reasons and can feel the shock underneath me. It still hasn't been a problem.

I do appreciate though that for a very child who doesn't know how to safely discharge the static it can be a pain to have to go back to the clinic and get the programs reloaded. I'm not negating the difficulty of this.

Honestly, I dont know how difficult it is to go back to the clinic to get the programs to be reloaded because I have never experienced it. I take your word for it..I was saying that children are so carefree and dont think twice about all the potential situations that could wipe out their mappings while adults do. That was the point of my post. Probably insignificant anyway.

Honestly, I dont know how difficult it is to go back to the clinic to get the programs to be reloaded because I have never experienced it. I take your word for it..I was saying that children are so carefree and dont think twice about all the potential situations that could wipe out their mappings while adults do. That was the point of my post. Probably insignificant anyway.

It depends on how far away you live from the clinic and how flexible the audiologist is. Mine is 45 mins drive. Once in the early days when I was still newly CIed, I asked for my old program to be reloaded, as the new one was too loud. She squeezed me in the next day in between appointments and it took 10 mins to do.

I agree that children are so carefree and free of responsibility. Tell me about it!!! How to get my daughter to do her homework LOL.

Back