Hello: Looking For New Friends & Intro

MonikaHoH

Reaction score
I'm AA and HoH (moderate to severe ... hopefully it stays stable). I'm from NYC, but moved to OKC. I've been HoH for years, but since I've started working in the "real world" it's like my bubble has burst. I kinda feel isolated at work, since I'm seen as a problem child. I don't think they understand that communication is A LOT more difficult for me (especially group) and trying to conform is even harder since my abilities are different.

Also, I didn't realize hearing impaired was offensive. I would call myself hearing impaired since when I first learned I was HoH at 16 (my doctor thought I was faking my hearing loss since I was in 5th grade but I had a great speech teacher), I noticed hearing impaired was used more.

I feel like I'm a little more in the loop now.

I enjoy reading, traveling (when it's for leisure), volunteering, and cooking. I'm trying to find more hobbies to try. If you have interesting hobbies let me know.

Welcome :wave:

Do you sign? If not, you might want to consider learning. You can increase your social circle by getting involved in the local Deaf community. It is nice to be able to escape the communication challenges for a while and chat with ease with Deaf friends.

@Moondancer thank you for the info about the community in Oklahoma. I hope they are active.

@zephren No. In NYC, there was a huge deaf community to learn, but in my area, I was always the only HoH person so I would try but never had anyone to practice with. I'm trying again.

Hi ! I don't think saying 'hearing impaired' is offensive , my hearing lost is cause by nerve damage. I see no difference in saying I am hearing impaired or have
a nerve damage . We still have freedom of speech so go ahead and call you hearing lost whatever you want ! That doctor is offensive saying you had a 'fake hearing lost !' You should had ask to seen his 'fake doctor certificate "

Hi ! I don't think saying 'hearing impaired' is offensive , my hearing lost is cause by nerve damage. I see no difference in saying I am hearing impaired or have
a nerve damage . We still have freedom of speech so go ahead and call you hearing lost whatever you want ! That doctor is offensive saying you had a 'fake hearing lost !' You should had ask to seen his 'fake doctor certificate "

your not Deaf...

most Deaf will have an issue with hearing impaired..

Yeah, they do have problems with it. Your popping in to repeatedly advise people who would like to get along in the Deaf world, is far from helpful.

If they follow your advice it's going to be a lot harder for them to be accepted.

I'm AA and HoH (moderate to severe ... hopefully it stays stable). I'm from NYC, but moved to OKC. I've been HoH for years, but since I've started working in the "real world" it's like my bubble has burst. I kinda feel isolated at work, since I'm seen as a problem child. I don't think they understand that communication is A LOT more difficult for me (especially group) and trying to conform is even harder since my abilities are different.

Also, I didn't realize hearing impaired was offensive. I would call myself hearing impaired since when I first learned I was HoH at 16 (my doctor thought I was faking my hearing loss since I was in 5th grade but I had a great speech teacher), I noticed hearing impaired was used more.

I feel like I'm a little more in the loop now.

I enjoy reading, traveling (when it's for leisure), volunteering, and cooking. I'm trying to find more hobbies to try. If you have interesting hobbies let me know.

welcome! I'm moderate/severe here (stable as always) ;)

Back