Hello, I too can hear.

GrammyAlaine

Reaction score
Hello, Although I can hear, I have a seven year old grandson who is deaf. He is my Bugg. He is so smart and his little hands move so fast. I have to tell him to slow down cause I don't understand what he is saying. He tells me to pay attention Grammy....:giggle: I wish I could learn sign language faster. I am still at a baby level. I wish there was a way for us to communicate at his level. I was recently diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. As much as I try I just have trouble remembering. I want him to understand how hard it is for me to remember the signs. I don't want him to think I don't care and it feels like he has that impression. I love him more then anything. How can I get him to understand?

Awwww...your post just melted my heart. As long as you show that u are making the effort to meet his communication needs, he will understand and very much appreciate it later on. As a deaf person who grew up with a family who never bothered to learn sign, I can vouch for my prediction.

:welcome: to AD!

rhtlqr.jpg

To AllDeaf!

Welcome to alldeaf. Sounds like you are passionate about communicating with your grandson and that is wonderful. If signing doesn't work due to his speed, he is seven..he can read and write simple sentences or just a word or two, so you can both write things down to help until you catch up.

Hi Grammy :) I have to ask, who taught your grandson to sign so fast-and well?
My son is 6 and going to school, he comes home signing different words that I have to figure out, and I sign to him the things I know, but he isn't up to full conversation signing just yet. (may have something to do with us as parents not knowing sign too well?)

Now I feel like I'm holding him back :(

Why not pick up a few signing childrens books from the library or bookstore and have him go over the signs with you? That will put him in a teaching/helping mode. The more he interacts with you, the more he might understand you are at a different level than he is.

Hello All And thank you

Thank you all for the welcome. I appreciate it. I am passionate about learning and will try to do what was suggested. As for the mom who thinks she is holding her son back, You are not. My Bugg has a translator and is in a deaf class half of the day and mainstreamed the rest of the day. They told us he was very smart and has been reading lips since he was about 6 months old. He started learning to sign at that age as well. I didn't realize it until he was about 2 years old when he had a teacher come to the house. Drink and eat was easy. My trouble now is he has the upper hand. I was learning at the same time he was. Now he has the upperhand because I no longer get to learn with him like I was. I guess I will have to study harder. ASL University had a free site to learn from a couple of years ago. I will check it out again and let you all know if it is still free to do the lessons. Take Care all.

I believe our family has been blessed by God. He gave us a very special little boy. Because of Bugg, We were able to bring attention to our area concerning the deaf. People in our area now understand deaf people are just like everyone else without the hearing. Their misconception has been somewhat changed. They now see the deaf as human beings with a different way to communicate. Senator Punt now feels stupid for not realizing sign language is a language. Hats off to stupid politicians.:laugh2:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am very impress about your enthusiasm in learning to sign and trying to catch up with your grandson. And also I am impress that you know about the Deaf Culture around your neighborhood which is really good for them to know about our deafness. I am very happy. Just keep up with your signing even if you can not remember. Go by practicing with your grandson when you both have time for each other. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:

Hello there!

Firstly welcome to alldeaf.com, where a lot of deaf, hearing impaired and hearing members roam around the forum making friends, and discuss anything related to the sections on the forum.

Want to debate?
Go to On-topic debate

Share your life experiences?
Go to Our world, our culture

Enjoy our best jokes?
Go to jokes and funny stories

Or just general chat? Where you can put anything you want to discuss with the other AD’ers

Go to General Chat

If you have a problem - . We have moderators around and they are Jolie77, ~SG~, VamPyroX and the site admin, Alex

There will be more new moderators coming soon

They can help you whenever you need them.

I hope you enjoy your stay!

Your friendly neighbour.

Jacob

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I am very impress about your enthusiasm in learning to sign and trying to catch up with your grandson. And also I am impress that you know about the Deaf Culture around your neighborhood which is really good for them to know about our deafness. I am very happy. Just keep up with your signing even if you can not remember. Go by practicing with your grandson when you both have time for each other. I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. Have fun with us. See you around. :wave:
Thank you for your kind words. I never realized how closed minded people were to others who were different until it was in my own area. Because of Bugg I found out how deaf people were being treated. I am one who will fight for what is right and right now I am trying to fight for equal opportunity day care. My daughter can't find a center for Bugg to go to when school is out because they are not equiped to handle his needs. I wish I had the money to open a daycare center for the deaf. Not just the children who can't hear but children of Deaf parents. I think it is important for all children to get proper care. Every parent has a right to know their child is safe. Well Thank you again and I am sorry to go off like that. I just feel it is important for everyone to have the same chance in life. God Bless.

Back