Hearing Family!

DBG - Many hugs to you. That just sucks!!!

The younger of my two brothers called my mother today and actually asked her how he was supposed to handle my birthday call. When she mentioned my CapTel phone, he just said it wasn't worth it and for her to tell me Happy Birthday. Mom told him he was about 8 days early and he said, "Well, she's not really a part of the family anymore since she went deaf, so, I don't have to remember any of her special date." Mom hung up on him.

deafbajagal - I do know what you are going through. Hugs to you!!
Golly, I cant' believe this.

Sorry about your aunt's passing.

It's dreadful how your family treated you after you expressed your true feelings about their conduct or lack of it.

:hug:

All I can say is...((( hugs)))

Yes, I complain about my hearing family but they have never ever done anything as extreme as this.

Since becoming blunt with them about my deaf needs about 2 years ago (both my dad's and my mom 's families) they have gotten so so soo much better. I had so muchfun at the wedding last weekend. Just being assertive about my needs did help a lot.

Wirelessly posted

:hug: dbg. What you are experiencing is totally uncalled for!

I'm the typical deaf person who falls in the statistics that say more than 90% of deaf children are born into hearing families.

I'm 32 years old, and I STILL am left out of my family affairs. Two days ago my sister was in the hospital, and no one bothered to let me know. I found this out on Facebook on someone else's (a non-relative) page.

All of the technological advances since I was a kid (smartphones with texting and email capabilities), videophone with relay services, social network sites, etc. has done nothing to close the communication gap between myself and my family.

Geez!!! :mad:
I'm sorry your family left out of the loophole. :hug:

The younger of my two brothers called my mother today and actually asked her how he was supposed to handle my birthday call. When she mentioned my CapTel phone, he just said it wasn't worth it and for her to tell me Happy Birthday. Mom told him he was about 8 days early and he said, "Well, she's not really a part of the family anymore since she went deaf, so, I don't have to remember any of her special date." Mom hung up on him.

deafbajagal - I do know what you are going through. Hugs to you!!

What? Wow, what a brother!

Back