Hearing Family!

My AD pals: thanks for letting me vent. ;)

Honestly, this may sound weird but to me my friends are family to me. And being the black sheep of the family is prolly why I feel that way.

And :grouphug: too!

Each Deaf person have a right to know what happen to his or her family.

The younger of my two brothers called my mother today and actually asked her how he was supposed to handle my birthday call. When she mentioned my CapTel phone, he just said it wasn't worth it and for her to tell me Happy Birthday. Mom told him he was about 8 days early and he said, "Well, she's not really a part of the family anymore since she went deaf, so, I don't have to remember any of her special date." Mom hung up on him.

deafbajagal - I do know what you are going through. Hugs to you!!

The younger of my two brothers called my mother today and actually asked her how he was supposed to handle my birthday call. When she mentioned my CapTel phone, he just said it wasn't worth it and for her to tell me Happy Birthday. Mom told him he was about 8 days early and he said, "Well, she's not really a part of the family anymore since she went deaf, so, I don't have to remember any of her special date." Mom hung up on him.

deafbajagal - I do know what you are going through. Hugs to you!!

that is horrible! I'm sorry :(

that is horrible! I'm sorry :(

Thanks, but I am used to the insensitive crap from that brother. It's been a lifelong thing for him to belittle anybody. I did my best to shower him with all kinds of love and care when he needed it, then when I have needs or something, he comes up with this crap. My oldest brother and I are just about done with anything for him.

Some people you can't change. I'm the oldest, 26. my brothers are 17 and 12. 17 yr old is being a social butterfly of course but him and I can be pretty close and my 12 yr old brother and I try to bond but he likes going out doing his thing :). My mom likes to play favorites, I've been used to it though.

Some people you can't change. I'm the oldest, 26. my brothers are 17 and 12. 17 yr old is being a social butterfly of course but him and I can be pretty close and my 12 yr old brother and I try to bond but he likes going out doing his thing :). My mom likes to play favorites, I've been used to it though.

We are 51-oldest brother, 49-crappy brother and I will be 48 in 8 days.

Kristina, I must say that in my humble opinion, that we should really PRAY for your brother. He is an (circle of finger and thumb).

Hugs to you and Deafbajagal and to all of us who get the worst audist crap from our own families.

I have no idea...why she was in the hospital and if she is still there. That is just ridiculous. Reminds me of the time they forgot to tell me my Papa was sick and hospitalized...and he died before I could see him. He had a picture of me and my oldest baby and his last words were about looking for us. I'm still VERY angry about that.

You know, it may sound harsh, but you really don't need to concern yourself with how she is doing, as your family didn't see fit to notify you to begin with. And it really is insensitive to ask you how she is doing after you already explained the situation with your family, IMO.

Honestly, this may sound weird but to me my friends are family to me. And being the black sheep of the family is prolly why I feel that way.

Ditto.

Still love my family and all, but there's a distance there that doesn't exist with friends.

Ditto.

Still love my family and all, but there's a distance there that doesn't exist with friends.

There is nothing wrong with that. When your birth family doesn't meet your needs, it is healthy to create an alternate family unit for support.

There is nothing wrong with that. When your birth family doesn't meet your needs, it is healthy to create an alternate family unit for support.

Yeah but it is kinda sad that one had to find an alternative family.

Yeah but it is kinda sad that one had to find an alternative family.

Agreed. You would expect that birth families would be more accommodating, but it generally does not work that way.

Back