Having probelms with math class and a hearing teacher

FireTyler

Reaction score
im deaf and have a interpreter in every class at a community college i go to. only problem is math is too hard. the teacher is talking to the white board as hes trying to explane how to solve a problem while writing the steps on the board. i have to look at my interpreter to understand what hes saying but also have to look at the board to see how he is getting those numbers to solve a problem.

What do i do?!?!

Study, or take a remedial class to gain the needed skills.

Why not ask the teacher if he is willing to help you understand math after class? Explain to him your difficulty and maybe he'll have an idea of how to help?

Where is your interpreter positioned? Next to the teacher, at the board?

Usually, my terp was always next to the teacher. She followed him around... =P So that's how it is for me anyway. I'd see if this can be done. If you're in college, you're paying for that education... That's the way I feel anyway. They are to do what you need to understand. Definitely as Secret said, meet after class. Any time I had questions after class the terp was always willing to stay and clarify any issues I was having with any questions. =)

Perhaps, interpreter re-positioning is needed? Perhaps, you should pick a better place to sit?

When I was in college, I would sit at the front and to the far left or right. That way, the interpreter would sit between me and the teacher and the whiteboard. This made it easy for me to watch the interpreter and what's going on behind him/her at the same time.

With math classes you really need a visual system for someone who is deaf. In all my math classes my interpreter will be next to the teacher, instead of off to the side. The other thing is, make sure you go to office hours with the professor, it really helps when you don't understand a concept, because then they can show you in person and not be writing on the board. You can also work with Khan Academy where it will show you how to do things, it does have captions as well.

If you are struggling with math, you can ask me for help because I am a mathematician.

Perhaps, interpreter re-positioning is needed? Perhaps, you should pick a better place to sit?

When I was in college, I would sit at the front and to the far left or right. That way, the interpreter would sit between me and the teacher and the whiteboard. This made it easy for me to watch the interpreter and what's going on behind him/her at the same time.
Talking about sight line, yeah that's a good suggestion as long as the board is not that far. :lol:

i did course at night school and teacher got irritated with terp i found it stressful and gave up,you must not do that just be assertive

I keep putting off math and science as long as possible because I don't do well in either, so I understand your frustration. I have classes now that are the same and really piss me off because I feel like a moron in there, especially in my science class during labs where the entire class is talking and moving around so I can't understand anyone.

i did course at night school and teacher got irritated with terp i found it stressful and gave up,you must not do that just be assertive
What did the terp do that was irritating the teacher?

Back